• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flammable Foods

Fat Guy

:unsure: Those delicious Italien Amarette di Saronno cookies.. You take the

wrapper, and light a match, and "blastoff" it orbits into space. Have you done it?

Roll the square wrapper into a tube and ignite.

:unsure: Those delicious Italien  Amarette di Saronno cookies.. You take the

wrapper, and light a match, and "blastoff" it orbits into space.  Have you done it?

Roll the square wrapper into a tube and ignite.

Yes! a favorite past time of mine as a kid--with the parents around, of course :biggrin:

In all my years of research, that powdered non-dairy creamer is about the most flammable solid I've found.

I agree. We had alot of fun with that in culinary school. You can sprinkle it in a line across the counter to some other flammable object (like they do in movies with gunpowder). One time we tried to simulate the classic house blowing up thing that they do in movies. We put a big pile of the stuff under an upside down cardboard box and made a line leading to it. It didn't explode quite like we were hoping, but it lit the box on fire and made alot of smoke. Did I mention that I never finished cooking school. Mmmmm.

Fondue is one of those foods that I just can't seem to make while entirely sober and I've never felt that tipsy and flaming was a good combo.

Tourist!

Hey, I'm just concerned for the saftey of my dinnermates!

*hitching up dark socks in white shoes under baggy shorts and pushing up overly large sunglasses while repositioning camera around neck*

Pass the cheetos will you?

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

When I first moved to AK I wanted to make sourdough bread the old fashioned way (those gold miners didn't have little dried packages of yeast) so the starter consisted simply of water and flour which you let sit to capture the wild yeast in the air. This I did. Made up a batch of bread and after baking it was as white and unappetizing as it was when it went in. Brushed some butter on the tops and turned the broiler on HI on this electric oven I had never baked in. Checked the bread about 60 secs. later and WOOSH, flames were 6 inches high on those loaves and they were pitch black. :angry:

In all my years of research, that powdered non-dairy creamer is about the most flammable solid I've found.

I'm also hold a pyrotechnics (fireworks) license

Non Dairy Creamer (NDC) is a standard firework and effects material for those rolling fireballs.

Don't try this at home. If fact don't try it unless you hold a full pyrolicense and licensed premises (especially in Oregon, or New York).

Take a bucket (old paint can ) and put in a small amount of blackpowder (gunpowder), and a quickmatch fuse with an electric squib in the bottom. Fill can with NDC, the higher the fat content the better. Calf feed works as well, and is cheaper in bulk.

Place in position. Stand well back. Ignite squib on cue.

Warning: NDC generates a lot of static when poured or handled in bulk. Use full static precautions. Do not put the squib in the bucket, only in the fuse leader outside the bucket, otherwise common mode discharge can ignite it. Professional fireworkers have been badly injured by this, when just moving an incorrectly fused NDC bucket lit it.

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Marshmallows are one of the great flaming food of all time.  The key is to roast them over an open fire, preferably after doing the dishes and preparing the campsite for bed, slowly slowly slowly so the inside melts into something resembling a 90's era dessert foam.  Then, at the last minute, stick the 'mallow into the campfire until it lites up.  Menace your friends (alternately, your children) until mom tells you to quit it, and then eat up.

Menacing people with hot marshmallows is not something I'd recommend. When I was about 10, my sister and I were fooling around with toasted marshmallows. Hers ended up on my nose and burned about three layers of skin off. Hurt like hell and not only left me with a scabbed up nose for a couple of weeks, but caused my nose to be ultrasensitive to sunburn for years.

When I first moved to AK I wanted to make sourdough bread the old fashioned way (those gold miners didn't have little dried packages of yeast) so the starter consisted simply of water and flour which you let sit to capture the wild yeast in the air.  This I did.  Made up a batch of bread and after baking it was as white and unappetizing as it was when it went in.  Brushed some butter on the tops and turned the broiler on HI on this electric oven I had never baked in.  Checked the bread about 60 secs. later and WOOSH, flames were 6 inches high on those loaves and they were pitch black.  :angry:

:laugh:

Welcome to eG lleechef!

[i'm from Sitka, AK!]

Last Thanksgiving my friend Judy brought over some candied yams, complete with those mini marshmallows as a topping. Woosh, they flamed up for a really dramatic effect! Guess we were chatting and enjoying our wine instead of paying mind to hot ovens and things that happen to hot sugar. :raz:

I think glurt can be used as both a noun and a verb  :smile:

Sounds more like an onomatopoeia to me.

Those of you who grew up reading Mad Magazine like I did will remember Don Martin to be the master of onomatopoeiac sound effects. My two favorites were "Ploobadoof" and "McPwaf!" :laugh:

*A dozen brownies to anyone who remembers the Mad article article that featured the above-mentioned sounds.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com