• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The eGullet PIE Potluck

SobaAddict70

Superbowl Sunday? What's that? :unsure::wacko:

That's actually okay, too. Just be warned that in case anyone does want to watch, our tv is about 25 years old (at least it's color) and tends toward double vision.

Truly, any date in January is fine. Sundays are better than Saturdays, so that the bloviatrixies can come.

And to explain yet again: pie is what you make of it: pie, tart, empanada, fried pie, shepherd's pie (preferably made with fresh shepherd), starry-gazy pie, crustless pie, quiche, deconstructed pie . . . got it now? :biggrin:

I, I got 68 pie.

I, I got 68 pie.

Boom!

Tish!

a 68 pie!

As I said to elyse, I think you ought to invite the creators of weebl and bob to the pie potluck. They just might get some good material...and egullet would again be in the media spotlight.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

I, I got 68 pie.

I, I got 68 pie.

Boom!

Tish!

a 68 pie!

As I said to elyse, I think you ought to invite the creators of weebl and bob to the pie potluck.  They just might get some good material...and egullet would again be in the media spotlight.

Oh yes!!!!

I think we should all be required to wobble, weebl-style at some point while consuming the pies. :laugh:

Sherri A. Jackson

Truly, any date in January is fine.  Sundays are better than Saturdays, so that the bloviatrixies can come.

:wub:

Thanks for thinking of me. On Jan 17th, the sabbath ends at 5:45, so I can do a saturday evening as well.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Oooh yes, I would LOVE to do this. I can't do either New Year's Day (unless you really want to see what I look like with the first hangover of the year) or Super Bowl Sunday, though (SOME of us watch football, thank you very much!! :blink: ).

Mmmm. PIE. Don't know what my contribution will be yet, let me ponder for a while.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Soba and Suzanne, Picaman and I would love to attend the Pie Fest. And Suzanne, as I promised you, click here for a glimpse of nary a pie, but one big tart (not for the faint of heart  :shock: ).

K.

I have an awesome recipe for meat pies--came from a Mrs. Lovett. It looks pretty complicated, though, so maybe I'll just have Kirk ghost-bake for me.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

Soba and Suzanne, Picaman and I would love to attend the Pie Fest. And Suzanne, as I promised you, click here for a glimpse of nary a pie, but one big tart (not for the faint of heart  :shock: ).

K.

I have an awesome recipe for meat pies--came from a Mrs. Lovett. It looks pretty complicated, though, so maybe I'll just have Kirk ghost-bake for me.

:smile:

Jamie

Two comments:

Jeez, Kirk, you really ARE cute! :cool:

and

Mrs. Lovett, eh? Maybe we'll pass. Unless we can raid the OA membership. :unsure::raz:

I'm in.

Personally, I'd love it to be Super Bowl Sunday, so I'll have something fun to do (and good to eat) while the rest of the world consumes mass quantities of beer and Cheez Doodles while their eyes glaze over watching foo'ball on their supersize TVs.

Me too. I used to like Super Bowl Sunday at least for the fun commercials, but even those suck these days. If we have it on SB Sunday, I think Frito Pie would be in order.

Any day in January works for me though.

Sherri A. Jackson

I, I got 68 pie.

I, I got 68 pie.

Boom!

Tish!

a 68 pie!

As I said to elyse, I think you ought to invite the creators of weebl and bob to the pie potluck.  They just might get some good material...and egullet would again be in the media spotlight.

Thanks, Kit, I kept forgetting to bring this up.

How can we get in touch with them?

Who's Mrs. Lovett?

Edited by elyse (log)

I'm in.

Personally, I'd love it to be Super Bowl Sunday, so I'll have something fun to do (and good to eat) while the rest of the world consumes mass quantities of beer and Cheez Doodles while their eyes glaze over watching foo'ball on their supersize TVs.

If Bluesmoke hosts another Superbowl party, I will be at Bluesmoke rather than the potluck. Last year was a lot of fun.

Who's Mrs. Lovett?

Mrs. Lovett...from Sweeney Todd: that perky but ultimately tragic, that pint-sized

meat pie maven; that rhyming cannibal, you know her, you love her, it's Mrs. Lovett!

I always preferred the classic: gateau de viande dans la mode de Titus Andronicus.

--

Who's Mrs. Lovett?

Mrs. Lovett...from Sweeney Todd: that perky but ultimately tragic, that pint-sized

meat pie maven; that rhyming cannibal, you know her, you love her, it's Mrs. Lovett!

K.

Never saw it actually. But I know who you;re talking about.

So, Kirk, hooked?

This is one reason why I love eG! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

HWOE just had a great suggestion: our favorite neighborhood pie supplier (fruit pies, that is :wink: ) might be able to be the space on a weekend. The Little Bigger Place, one of the great survivor stories of 9/11. Shall I talk the mis amigos there, for maybe a Sunday afternoon?

I would so much like to go to this and try people's pies, but I haven't even participated in making a pie for decades, probably (and it was my mother's apple pie - yes, it was good, I thought at the time). Would it be appropriate to bring a good wine instead? I feel a bit embarrassed to ask, but there it is.

Michael aka "Pan"

Oh, Pan, you silly boy. This is eGullet: we might be embarrassed at the culinary shortcomings of others, but never by our own. :raz: There, feel better now?

(Wo)man cannot live by pie alone -- try as we might. Got to wash it down somehow. Yes, please, wine is absolutely necessary. :biggrin: