• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

This REALLY works

fifi

I also get these green discs at Bed, Bath & Beyond that have the same stuff. You put them in the veggie drawer in the fridge. Things keep a LOT longer.

Yes! I swear by them, too! Produce lasts quite a bit longer with the green disc in the crisper drawer.

Thanks for reminding me about them, fifi!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Geesh, I'm so depressed.

I just heard a TV commercial for the new "Bacon" Pam non-stick spray.

[insert Homer Simpson "Whoo-hoo!" here]

Doesn't that sound like a great product?! Think of the possibilities!

Then I realized I had misheard the commercial...it was for the new "BAKING" Pam. :angry: DOH! :sad:

Tim Oliver

Geesh, I'm so depressed.

Doesn't that sound like a great product?!  Think of the possibilities!

Mmmm, air-freshener!

Geesh, I'm so depressed.

Then I realized I had misheard the commercial...it was for the new "BAKING" Pam. :angry:  DOH!  :sad:

Let's start a write-in campaign for bacon Pam.

Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.

Geesh, I'm so depressed.

Then I realized I had misheard the commercial...it was for the new "BAKING" Pam. :angry:  DOH!  :sad:

Let's start a write-in campaign for bacon Pam.

If we can do a write-in campaign for Alfredo-flavored Krunchers, then why not "Bacon" Pam?

Where do I sign up?

Geesh, I'm so depressed.

Mmmm, air-freshener!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Shampoo takes out blood stains.

Uhm...I'm almost afraid to ask how you know this. :unsure:

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

Better late than never, I hope!

Swifter Dusters. I LOVE these things! You can dust a whole room with one, and the dust just clings to it. And works pretty well.

I wish I could find just refills instead of buying just five and a new handle. I don't need the new handle...

Swifter Dusters. I LOVE these things! You can dust a whole room with one, and the dust just clings to it. And works pretty well.

I wish I could find just refills instead of buying just five and a new handle. I don't need the new handle...

Go to Costco or a large drug store.

AND I have a newly bought Cherry/Olive pitter.  Definitely one of those gadgety things but wow it's cool.  Love it.  Can't wait to stuff a few olives with blue cheese for our next martinis.

I just bought one, too! It rocks. It was getting to be a pain to do the knife-smashing-olive trick which leaves you with olive pieces and not whole olives.

I've been using an Italian olive pitter for years, after losing one too many fillings to olive pits, and discovering that those canned pitted olives are the pits.

I wish they made a tiny pitter for Nicoise olives. It's fun to shoot them through the big pitter, but you end up with a pitiful looking olive.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Go to Costco or a large drug store.

I live in Minnesota. Is there any thing bigger than Target? :rolleyes:

I don't know where there is a Costco here. Maybe Home Depot?

I bought a Hoover Floor-Mate--kinda like a carpet shampooer/vacuum, but for vinyl and wood floors. I don't do product endorsements, but my floor has never been so clean. Until I train the dogs to wipe their feet at the door, this will remain my favorite cleaning tool.

edited to add: They are on sale today at Amazon--Friday Sale.

Edited by sparrowgrass (log)
sparrowgrass

Okay, this isn't for a product but is a kitchen tip I rediscovered over the Thanksgiving holiday that really seems to work:

My mom has one of those "jar poppers" that releases the vacuum on a jar so you can easily open it. But she had misplaced it and couldn't open a jar. I had been helping with the cooking and my hands couldn't get a good grip to open the jar. But I remembered that you can wind a rubber band around the rim of the jar lid to help provide a better grip. Sure enough, that did the trick and jar was easily opened.

Hey, this really works!

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Got the SwifferJet and think it is marvellous - saw it as a gimmick for a long, long time but I have an ancient vinyl tile kitchen floor with no surface left on it and this gadget lets me keep it clean in short order. My new house will have large ceramic tile kitchen floor! Can't wait.

Even the Swiffer duster has proved a boon for cleaning the stereo, my plants, books, etc. I haven't yet taken up dancing with it or dusting other people's homes (as in the TV ad).

But here's another "gadget" that really works and that I totally pooh-poohed until I tried it - the Mr Clean Eraser. My (harvest gold) fridge sits barely a foot from my stove and in a short time has a grease film covering the side. This "eraser" makes short work of that grease film. Nope - no money forthcoming for product endorsements! :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I bought a Hoover Floor-Mate--kinda like a carpet shampooer/vacuum, but for vinyl and wood floors.

Little known but true fact - if you ever hope to refinish your hardwod flors every so many years by just buffing out the top surface and having a new topcoat put on... you should never clean them with anythign other than plain water or at most, some water with a few drops of liquid dishwashing detegergent in the bucket. Most cleaners will leave waxy residues in the interstices of the poly finish and recoating after a simple buff-out will result in orange peeling of the new finish. Murphy's Oil Sopa is the absolute worst offender (this is according to the guy who installed and finished my hardwod flors and he's been inthe business for many years). If you inherited hardwods in the house when you moved in, it's safe to assume that you'll need to sand in order to refinish. If you have new floors installed or existing oens refinished - heed the above. It's relatively cheap and easy to get a recoat every 5 - 7 years rather than a complete sanding.

When I am chopping Jalapeno peppers or any other kind of hot pepper I hold on to the pepper with my hand encased in a ziploc bag. That way I never get any of the seeds or pepper juice on my skin (and later in my eyes).

If you have onion or garlic smell on your hands rub your hands all over something stainless steel. Could be your sink or fridge or you can buy a stainless steel brick for this purpose.

If you have remnents from your sauteed food stuck on the pan put the pan back on the stove and pour in some water and dish soap. Bring water and soap to a simmer and scrape away.

As fifi posted, Evert Fresh Bags are amazing for keeping produce fresh. Lettace will last for a month or more in them. It actually become crisper once it's been in the bag for a while. Lemons and limes also last much longer in the bags.

I tried finding an online link but apparently Hefty doesn't have a website (in this day & age?)

That's because Hefty is a division of the Pactiv Corporation. Link below

http://www.pactiv.com/

Thank you for finding that link but they are still idiots for not buying the domain name www.hefty.com (which is currently a create-a-book site for personalizing children's books) and having it forward to the parent company web site.

www.heftybags.com isn't taken.

www.heftyplastic.com isn't taken.

Someone isn't thinking in that company...

Tim Oliver

I have not found a mop yet that is good. The Swiffer is okay for what it is. But I want somethign that can scrub, not just dust. The classic mop is really the closest I've found, but I always end up scratching things with the metal hinge piece.

Anyone try non stick aluminum foil, probably my most used such item besides ziplocs for storage?

I like the smell of garlic on my hands. And, if you're ever in a mortal battle with vampires, you can claw their eyes out.

I have for a long time been putting my onions in the refrigerator. When they're cold they don't emit the gases that cause you to tear up. I never have problems except with some particularly potent onions during certain times of the year. But it's rare. I heard you can also run them under cold water for a bit before slicing.

I believe in addition to lemon juice you can use vinegar or acidulated water to rinse your hands free of chile oils. Water and soap do nothing. I'm too lazy to worry about it, but with how much I cook with chiles I often have Homer moments where I stick my finger in my eye and run screaming to the bathroom to flush it out only to do it again a couple minutes later.

btw, scratching your nether region after cutting chiles can also impart a burning sensation since it's sensitive down there. So if that happens, and especially if you then have sex and your partner also feels a burning sensation, don't start stressing out about VD. Remember, it's just the chiles and enjoy the free tingles.

When I am chopping Jalapeno peppers or any other kind of hot pepper I hold on to the pepper with my hand encased in a ziploc bag.  That way I never get any of the seeds or pepper juice on my skin (and later in my eyes).

I do the same thing when I'm handling chicken. I flip the bird around with the baggies. Slip my hand out of the bag when handling salt shakers, turning on oven etc. Works for me.

And Pariah, what’s that old joke? If blood stains are your problem, you’ve got more problems than laundry. :laugh:

Lots of good tips here.

--therese

Many parts of a pine tree are edible.