• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

SuzanneF was thoughtful enough to provide pencils for all, and also brought along instant-read thermometers and a sensitive electronic scale.

I'm curious, what temperature should a burger be when it gets to the table?

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

SuzanneF was thoughtful enough to provide pencils for all, and also brought along instant-read thermometers and a sensitive electronic scale.

I'm curious, what temperature should a burger be when it gets to the table?

Depends on whether or not you want it rare, medium rare, medium, etc. Also, if a burger is clearly cooked to the medium stage and yet arrives at a rare temperature, we know that it sitting around cooling off for a while before it came to the table.

--

On a serious note, my sincere apologies if I inadvertently offended anyone with my choice of screen name.

You're joking, right? Gonna take a LOT more than that to offend anyone here.

On a lighter note, I assure everyone that, other than a spoonful or chug of the occasional condiment, I limit my palate to a societally accepted palette.  :biggrin:

I drink olive and cocktail onion brine.

Also, if a burger is clearly cooked to the medium stage and yet arrives at a rare temperature, we know that it sitting around cooling off for a while before it came to the table.

Good point. Perhaps the design of the eval form should clearly reflect that. I'll keep that in mind when making the individual form.

Meat and Seafood Internal Temperature Cooking Chart: does this look about right?

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

As I understand it, in a large burger the temperature at the dead center will continue to increase for a few minutes after the burger is removed from the heat. The carry-over effect won't be as significant as with a roast or even a steak, but it nonetheless occurs. So a burger probed immediately upon coming off the grill will first register a lower temperature, then a higher one, then a lower one again.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

i'm tired and a wee bit hungover so......

Molly's burger positives for me included the quality of the meat, which I thought was very good.  It seemed very fresh to me, and had just the right level of grind.  It was hand-molded to a consistent thickness, but was not over-molded so as to lose texture.  I also liked the moisture level--I agree that it was juicy but not greasy.

Far and away the biggest negative was the saltiness, or rather, the lack thereof--I agree that more (or even some) salt would have definitely improved the overall flavor.  I'd also say that the bun was a bit of a disappointment--a very average seeded bun.  It's a good thing that the burger wasn't at all greasy, because this bun would not have stood up to that at all.  I also left off all condiments so as to concentrate on the burger flavor, and think that ketchup would have made for a soggy mess of a bun.

...Have to say, though...awesome pickle spear.  Crisp and just the right bit sour.

I did think, though, that at around $8, the burger was a decent value.

Again, from a social standpoint I had a fabulous time and much enjoyed meeting so many new friends :biggrin: 

....what jamie said! :rolleyes: i'd def. go back to Molly's though. cool place.

oh and, i guess i have enough energy to add: burger club rocks! thanks to elyse and everyone else for such a fun time.

ps: i had tried to take a close up pic of suzanne's burger w/my camera phone whilst she dangled her tiny flashlight above it, but it didn't come out too well.

Edited by pnapoli (log)

Hi all,

I had a great time seeing you all yesterday. Molly's has a special place in my heart probably because I have drank plenty there. While the burger was a bit of disappointment, for a recovering meat eater it was a pretty good pub burger. But now i really want to find a good burger, one that makes me think - "why eat anything else."

I was a bad photographer yesterday, but I did take a few pics. Next time don't worry I will take many more.

molly's burger and fries

Picaman has sworn off glass and planes and is onto burgers!

It did have a nice thickness

At molly's - they care

Can't wait for the next outing!

Unfortunately I missed Saturday, but went for a burger Friday night there so I could follow along! I pretty much agree with all that has been said, except my burger was overdone. Was still good, a decent value, but certainly not the best.

I'd say Waterfront Ale House also has a solid burger, they also have a "special" burger every couple of nights. Sometimes its venison, ostrich, ir buffalo and they are generally all good (as is the normal menu burger) They also have a great beer selection.

Msk

I thought the burgers were very mediocre. The meat was fresh in the sense that I felt secure in eating it very rare, but not in the sense that it was freshly ground. The flavor was neutral. The burgers were also ridiculously oversized -- 9.5 oz. of cooked meat!

It was great having lunch with you guys, and hanging out afterwards with some of you at the greenmarket.

Looking forward to the Parker Meridian. Should we make it Black tie?

Okay. How often should we meet? I'm thinking every two weeks so we don't get burned out. Is there more interest in weekly?

I just called the Parker Meridian. They're not open on Sundays, but I will call back Monday to find out the best time for a group. They are open 11:30 - Midnight.

Place your times!

Updated individual burger evaluation form

As always, comments and suggestions welcome!

Okay. How often should we meet? I'm thinking every two weeks so we don't get burned out.

This sounds good to me--I'd vote for same day and time (Saturday @ 1:00PM) every other week.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

I like the idea of a regular day and time -- so people can plan. Of course not everyone will be able to make it every time, but that's good -- we'll have a wider diversity of palates and opinions.

Forkandpen, your pix are just fine for the first meeting, especially given the lack of light; everything is open to revision. And picaman, again, terrific work on the form.

I got a couple more instant-reads today at Broadway Panhandler's sale -- ON THROUGH TOMORROW!!! -- so we'll have 5 of them when I can bring them. Maybe I'll leave one with our Fear-elyse Leader.

Edited by Suzanne F (log)