• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: NYC Mexican Favorites

jhlurie

My understanding has always been that taquitos are made with corn tortillas and flautas are made with flour tortillas.

Personally I prefer good homestyle mexican fare (e.g., Taqueria de Mexico, El Sombrero (aka Hat Restaurant)) to good high-end mexican fare (e.g., Maya, Rosa Mexicana).  However, comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges.

Coming from Los Angeles, I have yet to taste any homestyle mexican fare in NYC that comes anywhere close to LA.  In particular, Las Fuentes (just over the hill from LA) makes flautas that simply cannot be beat.

I *hate* the way West Coast/Southwest people rag on NY Mexican.  Unfortunately they are right to do so.  Right?

I agree with the general consensus about Zarela and Rosa Mexicano.

I haven't been in a couple of months, but the last time I checked, Gabriela's was incredible, as usual.  I can't vouch for Mexican authenticity, given my limited knowledge and experience, but Gabriela's at least makes strong gestures in that direction:  multiple mole sauces, good carnitas, attention to good, fresh ingredients.  Their garlic roast chicken is superb, one of the best I've had, Mexican or no.  Guacamole seems authentic to me, if authentic means very simple, almost . . . virtuous.  And, the acid test:  the salsa and chips rock.

My "favorite" (most-frequented) Mexican restaurant is Mexican Radio, in Cleveland Place (to the uninitiated:  the mysterious junction of Lafayette, Kenmare/Delancey, and Centre Streets that you will never ever find, BWAAAH hahahaha (evil laugh)).  Turns into a raucous bar scene late nights and weekends, and permits smoking at the front tables, but the restaurant has expanded into multiple rooms.

The salsa is excellent (very heavy on cilantro, a plus to me), the chips are excellent, and I like the quesadillas.  Weirdly, I think I have had ropa vieja (a Cuban ragged-soupy-meat dish) there, and it was pretty good.  Um, not authentically Mexican though.  Mexican Radio has lots of different kinds of Patron and other fancy tequilas, if that's your kind of thing.  This is my standard I-want-dinner-but-you-guys-want-drinks-and-Mexican-is-perfect-for-that place.

All other considerations being equal--service, decor, location--and at a given price point--is it more important to you to perceive that your "NYC Mexican" is more authentic or that it is better--i.e. more flavorful or interesting?

I'm sensing a strong "authentic" undercurrent here.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Definitely flavorful for me.  I prefer the homestyle mexican fare (that's what I grew up on in and around LA).  My experience with NYC homestyle mexican is that it so bland and homogenous (much like chinese food in suburbia).   I would love to find a place in NYC to prove me wrong.  So far the best I've found is Taqueria de Mexico in the West Village.  But even that (at triple the price) doesn't come close to what you get in southern California.

TL, have you tried the garment district. Years ago, I used to love Rinconcito Mexicana on West 39th Street. I won't swear it was authentic, but the guys dropping in for beers after work seemed to be at home. The last lunch I had there was so uninteresting that I didn't care if it was authentic or not, but maybe it's come back or  maybe there's some other place in the neighborhood, assuming that's a neighborhood. The place on the Avenue (9th?)--I forget the name, never appealed although I've been in a couple of times.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

Visiting NYC in three weeks. Would be interested in opinions re: Mexican places on very opposite ends of the dining scale.

First, anything that rivals Topolobampo/Frontera Grill in Chicago for a high-end Mexican meal?

Second, are there any good places that replicate Mexico city's (or the Maxwell St. Market in Chicago for that matter) street food - tacos, tlacoyos, gorditas etc?

I'm coming from toronto where there's not a lot of either.

And, for what its worth, will be staying in the EV/LES area.

Gracias,

Geoff Ruby

I'd love to hear of any excellent Mexican restaurant in the Lower East Side, but I don't think there is one. A few years ago, I remember having a good meal at Lupe's in sort of west SoHo, but my impression is that the really good Mexican places must be in Jackson Heights, Queens, and they're very downscale and cater to Mexican immigrants and other people in the neighborhood. I haven't tried any yet but would like to some time. You might look into grocery shops that double as taquerias, though. There was a posted link to a New York Times article about them. I just checked to see if I had cut and pasted the article into MSWord, but I didn't. I do recall that one of the recommended shops is on Av. A and 14 St.

Michael aka "Pan"

There's a truck that parks on W.96th just west of Broadway that I've heard is good and very downscale. A lot of Mexicans who live in the area grab food there.

Can anyone comment on it? All I know is that it smells pretty good.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

for high-end mexican, i go to Rosa Mexicano.  *not* the one at Lincoln Center though.  the original, on 1st ave and 58th or so, is much better.

I'll go with Rosa Mexicano also, but I prefer the Lincoln Center one...

rgruby, I think you will find Rosa Mexicano superior to the Bayless restaurants.

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Can't comment on the high end but for the street carts check on 36th, 37th or 38th either on or just off (usually heading west by 50 feet or so) 8th Avenue. Lots of recent Mexican immigrants work at the sweatsh.... uhh.... garment assembly facilities in the area. Helps to know Spanish as the signs for the food are in Spanish and the vendors are sometimes not interested in selling to gringos. Monday through Friday between about 4:30 and 6:00 PM there are usually two ladies selling chicken and corn tamales from big stock pots they carry in little grocery carts. Always on 8th Ave generally by corner of 39th. $1 each and tasty. There's also a small Mexican restaurant that's good on either 38th or 39th about 100 feet west of 8th Ave - can't recall the name.

if you go to Rosa Mexicano, 2 pieces of advice:

1. have the guacamole -- it rocks!

2. make a reservation as far ahead in advance as you dare. The east side location tends to be booked solid.

I also like Dos Caminos on Park Ave., Los Dos Molinos near Irving Place if you like it REALLY spicy, and the Rocking Horse Cafe on 8th Avenue in Chelsea.

There's a truck that parks on W.96th just west of Broadway that I've heard is good and very downscale.  A lot of Mexicans who live in the area grab food there.

Can anyone comment on it?  All I know is that it smells pretty good.

There is also a taco truck on 104th just West of Broadway (might even be the same one) that we enjoy. Also in the area is our favorite hole-in-the-wall Mexican place, Noche Mexicana on Amsterdam near 102nd.

--

Los Dos Molinos near Irving Place if you like it REALLY spicy,

There is a lady who runs a shop specializing in Hot & Spicy foods in nearby Red Bank and she also recommends Los Dos Molinos. 119 East 18th St. (212 505-1574). Am anxious to try it myself... firesmile.gif

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

in the east village there's Zaragoza deli, on A and 12th or 13th.. it's a tiny hole in the wall with a grill in the back that serves up decent tacos, etc.. the meats vary based on the day and the availability.. there's also a full fledged tacqueria on Avenue C, somewhere between 10th street and 14th street.. on the west side of the street.. i prefer this place over Zaragoza, because they offer seating, etc. and it's still a two dollar taco kind of spot.. a newish mexican place just opened up on houston and b or c, but i haven't been to check it out yet..

i'd skip the mexican place on the corner of 12th and A, although some do like it, i find the food and atmosphere there miserable..

On the lower East Side there is Cafe El Portal, on Elizabeth, a couple blocks north of Spring that's decent.. certainly better than Lupe's, which is on 6th avenue a few blocks north of Canal, around Watts Street..

there is the taco truck on 96th and broadway in the evenings.. good street food tacos, tortas, flautas, etc.. there's another truck that parks on the corner of 104th and broadway, but its hours are more sporadic.. the same truck can often be found on 97th and 1st or 2nd avenue during the week until around 3 p.m.; sadly the taco trucks that used to be a fixture on 14th street on the weekends are no longer there..

Moving towards the higher end, I'm not really a huge fan of Rosa Mexicana, Maya, etc..

I have recently enjoyed a great meal at Salon Mexico.. inventive Mexican, good amount of seafood choices.. the space isn't as luxurious as Rosa is, but i like the low key environment, great food, and the huge tequila selection..

suzanne, i used to love los dos rancheros.  but i've found they've gone downhill since they're remodeled (and possibly changed hands).  have you been in the past year?

No, I haven't. I bow to your more recent experience. Too bad, though, I loved their posole.

Two blocks from my apartment is Zarela's (Second Avenue at 49th Street).

And then, there's Veracruz.

Haven't been to Zarela's in a while, but I can recommend it. Mex-Alert: This is not Tex-Mex Mexican, but true Mexican. Huitlacoche, anyone?

Soba

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Speaking of taco trucks, there is a nightly fixture taco truck in my old neighborhood in Jackson Heights, Queens. There's one on Roosevelt Avenue (72nd Street) that serves fried pork tacos, along with the requisite pollo and carne.

There's a great mom-and-pop taqueria on Roosevelt Avenue and 73rd Street -- on the same side of the street as the Flushing-bound tracks -- wonderful crispy fried tripe tacos, and a nice chili-spiked guacamole. Order a couple of tacos and they'll give you some chips gratis. Very addictive eaten plain. Killer mini-flans.

Soba

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Rosa Mexicano, which seems to be the consensus choice at the high end, doesn't come up to the ankles of Frontera/Topalabambo, so I would focus on the very interesting lower end recommendations. There has been a significant growth in the Mexican population in NY in recent years, and there has been a corresponding growth in the number of basic eating places. But authentic doesn't always mean good, and you need to be cautious, just remember how many of these types of places in Mexico City can be just awful.

suzanne, i used to love los dos rancheros.  but i've found they've gone downhill since they're remodeled (and possibly changed hands).  have you been in the past year?

It's now called Salon Mexico. It's not bad, but no great shakes.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith