• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

On a Whim... What are you up to...

Al_Dente

Also, just one little reminder regarding this and similar events. Please note the following from the eGullet User Agreement:

Off-Site Events

Users from time-to-time may choose to gather off-site for meals or other events. If you arrange such events without use of the public message boards, you are free to conduct them in any manner you wish -- they have nothing to do with eGullet. If you choose to advertise an event on our public message boards, however, it must be open to all comers without any preference demonstrated for some users over others. If space is limited or other factors prevent all interested persons from attending, selection must be made in an above-board, non-judgmental manner and applied equally to all. If you wish to have control over who does and does not attend your event, don't advertise it on the public boards. We also strongly suggest -- as a common-sense precaution -- that the ultimate specifics of time and place, as well as the names of the attendees, be kept off the public boards.

In terms of reporting events after-the-fact, please do not mention names of attendees or post photographs of those attendees without explicit permission. If your event was arranged privately off the boards you may not use the word "eGullet" anywhere in the description of the event, nor may you imply that it was an official event in any way. If your event was arranged on the public boards and the RSVP arrangements conformed with our policy, you may refer to it as an eGullet event so long as you don't use the word "official" or a synonym.

Thanks, and I look forward to seeing all of you there.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I so wish that I could make it, however I am leaving for San Diego today for work. (I know, poor me). But I am in for next week!

I am looking forward to meeting you all at some point. I have been lurking for far too long on this site and I feel like I know some of you already.

Jennifer

An eight top should be fine then. How do you say about starting in the lounge with some pink wine?

Vengroff, how's the kitchen coming? If it's the same as last time, I'm sure you'll need a beverage.

Greatly looking forward to it guys/gals.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

An eight top should be fine then. How do you say about starting in the lounge with some pink wine?

Vengroff, how's the kitchen coming? If it's the same as last time, I'm sure you'll need a beverage.

Greatly looking forward to it guys/gals.

Pink wine sounds peachy.

7pm, or thereabouts in the lounge?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Heather, PM me tomorrow and I'll bring my camera. Otherwise I'll fergit.

Can't wait. Can't believe it's politically correct to say "mm, pink wine." :laugh:

The appliances are supposed to be delivered tomorrow morning. I'm crossing my fingers.

Pink wine rules. White zin gives it an ill-deserved bad name.

See you all tomorrow.

MadVal, Seattle, WA

We have that eight top, can go a little higher if need be. Starting to fill up tonight, but we should be fine with around 8-10 people.

Can you guys make it through the whole rose list?

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

It looks like we're seven at this point.

John, how many pink wines are there? I'm a lightweight and can only knock back about 2 glasses (besides which I don't want to make it too late a night). I suspect some of our other attendees can hold their own though. Not naming any names. :rolleyes:

It looks like we're seven at this point.

John, how many pink wines are there? I'm a lightweight and can only knock back about 2 glasses (besides which I don't want to make it too late a night). I suspect some of our other attendees can hold their own though. Not naming any names.  :rolleyes:

How big is the list? I could probably make a respectable showing. :biggrin:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I think this is a great thread, and certainly the Firefly event was a lot of fun. I'd like to toss out an idea, though. Perhaps we should use this thread primarily for proposing event sites and making arrangements, and move comments on specific places we visit to dedicated restaurant-specific threads. For example, detailed comments and pictures from Firefly could go into this thread. That way information on any given restaurant, whether from a whim visit or otherwise, will be centralized for future generations to enjoy.

Thoughts?

MadVal, Seattle, WA

i think the "on a whim" threads should all be fresh. it'll get people's attention a lot quicker than an old, big thread. and then, of course, a new thread for pics/discussion post-event.

unless everyone subscribes to the one thread, in which case that might work. but then, as others say, subsequent discussion needs a new thread, and pictures. :biggrin:

Edited by tommy (log)

I think this is a great thread, and certainly the Firefly event was a lot of fun.  I'd like to toss out an idea, though.  Perhaps we should use this thread primarily for proposing event sites and making arrangements, and move comments on specific places we visit to dedicated restaurant-specific threads.  For example, detailed comments and pictures from Firefly could go into this thread.  That way information on any given restaurant, whether from a whim visit or otherwise, will be centralized for future generations to enjoy.

Thoughts?

That sounds reasonable to me. Shall we get the posts moved to the Firefly thread, and the title changed on this one?

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme