• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cape May to Fort Lee

Kim WB

On Friday, I had to drive my son Connor from the beach in Avalon, which is 20 miles north of Cape May to Fort Lee, just a bridge south of the NY border. He was off to JFK and 12 days in Croatia, Greece and Italy. So food and wine were on my mind..except when I was stuck on the turnpike in a jam, due to the closed Western extension...ANYWAY....each exit, each town name..little e-gullet bells were ringing, restaurants and shops that were noted on e-gullet, and over my years of reading posts, without realizing it..I've absored a LOT of jersey knowledge. Palisades Park..I'm thinking Korean. Edison..I'm wondering if the new WEgman's opened..Parkway entrance, thinking RN and the Orchard place Helena S. goes to...Cherry Hill, thinking about Katie's Loeb's sushi place...passing Hammonton, thinking blueberries..all in all, the trip north was filled with lectures to my son on how to NOT be an obnoxious american..but the ride home was amazingly food and e-gullet oriented. And this was, to note, BEFORE the strip club thread...which would have changed the long drive, I'm sure!

Does anyone find themselves using "e-gullet geography"?

On Friday, I had to drive my son Connor  from the beach in Avalon, which is 20 miles north of Cape May  to Fort Lee, just a bridge south of the NY border. He was off to JFK and 12 days in Croatia, Greece and Italy. So food and wine were on my mind..except when I was stuck on the turnpike in a jam, due to the closed Western extension...ANYWAY....each exit, each town name..little e-gullet bells were ringing, restaurants and shops that were  noted on e-gullet, and over my years of reading posts, without realizing it..I've absored a LOT of jersey knowledge. Palisades Park..I'm thinking Korean. Edison..I'm wondering if the new WEgman's opened..Parkway entrance, thinking RN and the Orchard place Helena S. goes to...Cherry Hill, thinking about  Katie's Loeb's sushi place...passing Hammonton, thinking blueberries..all in all, the trip north  was filled with lectures to my son on how to NOT be an obnoxious american..but the ride home was amazingly food and e-gullet oriented. And this was, to note, BEFORE the strip club thread...which  would have changed the long drive, I'm sure! 

gotta admit, i've done it to a lesser extent.

not quite so well-versed as you. :laugh:

only nitpicky comment is that the sushi place katie recommends isn't in cherry hill. unless she's talking about mikado or something else. she would normally recommend fuji in cinamminson.

which i would too, it is a great place.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I went to Jerry's in Englewood on Thursday. It's all Jason's fault. :biggrin: They carry San Pellegrino for $1.99 which is close to half the cost near me.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Did you see the six-packs of the large flavored bottles of Pellegrino? Look underneath the registers. Also, I got some great peppered ham there last week.

I bought one of the large bottles of the red grapefruit flavored Pellegrino -- they had them on a display as soon as you walkied into the store. Ever since I saw mention of it on a thread here, I've been on a quest to try it since I love grapefruit-flavored drinks. Has anyone tried the Nocino? I've tried to divine from the label what the flavor is, but I haven't had much luck.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

I bought one of the large bottles of the red grapefruit flavored Pellegrino -- they had them on a display as soon as you walkied into the store.  Ever since I saw mention of it on a thread here, I've been on a quest to try it since I love grapefruit-flavored drinks.  Has anyone tried the Nocino?  I've tried to divine from the label what the flavor is, but I haven't had much luck.

If you can find it, "Gini" from France is one of the best grapefruit flavored sodas ever. Haven't seen it in NJ though.

Did you see the six-packs of the large flavored bottles of Pellegrino? Look underneath the registers. Also, I got some great peppered ham there last week.

I bought one of the large bottles of the red grapefruit flavored Pellegrino -- they had them on a display as soon as you walkied into the store. Ever since I saw mention of it on a thread here, I've been on a quest to try it since I love grapefruit-flavored drinks. Has anyone tried the Nocino? I've tried to divine from the label what the flavor is, but I haven't had much luck.

Actually, "Rossa" is blood orange, "Pompelmo" is the grapefruit flavor... both are really good, the Rossa is a bit sweeter though.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Actually, "Rossa" is blood orange, "Pompelmo" is the grapefruit flavor... both are really good, the Rossa is a bit sweeter though.

Well as you can tell, my fluency in Italian is non-existant. And now I understand why it didn't taste like grapefruit. Man, I'm an idiot. :hmmm:

I guess, I'll just have to go back and try the Pompelmo.

• 2 weeks later...