• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help me with a dinner menu?

guajolote

I did suggest some food upthread, FWIW.

Right after I posted that, I went into our garden and came in with a fistful of perfect green beans. They're going to be dinner tonight, along with marinated chicken breasts and, hmmmmmm, not sure what else. My hubbie is at the 49ers/Oakland game with his offspring, so I'm batching it.

Yes, and I thank you for that. (and Vengroff and whoever else posted dinner ideas).

I'm just worrying that this is turning into MatthewB bio, part II.

All right, let's forget the drinks and focus on the food. I do like Jaymes' drinks which are measured by the quart though :wub:

Well, I always WAS a fun gal.

(I get it from my grandmother. :biggrin: )

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

-shellfish course

In the sumertime, I like Mexican shrimp cocktails, or seafood cocktails Campechana.

It always blows everyone away.

So good, so cool, so pretty with the slices of avocado on top. And so unlike anything most Gringos have ever had.

Of course, I serve "los cocteles camarones" or "cocteles Campechana" Mexican-style, in copas, with saltines and an assortment of hot sauces that I pass around in a cute little basket.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Well, you have no shortage of suggestions for drinks, so I'll skip that.

Shellfish course: Grilled Shrimp; Steamed Mussels or a Mussel Salad, perhaps? Can you get fresh oysters there? My local sushi restaurant serves nice ones w/ Ponzu sauce; that seems like it would be good after the tartare.

A little cucumber salad.

If you don't grill shrimp, maybe a nice grilled pork tenderloin w/ a tomato-corn salsa? You could roast some new potatoes, or make a rice pilaf. Or, since you've started on a Japanese theme, a nice Teriyaki sauce on that grilled pork?

Matthew is going to get the fruit and vegetables from the Farmer's Market. Things currently in season here in the Midwest are tomatoes, green beans, cucumbers, corn :wub: ,

Corn :wub: . One can make a meal out of just corn. You've got vegetable, fiber, I'm sure there's a modicum of protein. Add butter, and you've covered dairy and fat.

But then again, you knew I like corn, didn't you?

For variety add a tomato (preferably heirloom variety). Drink lots. Happy people. If you start out with a lot of drinks, no one notices that you're only serving corn, and no one notices how much butter has landed on one's t-shirt.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

-shellfish course

In the sumertime, I like Mexican shrimp cocktails, or seafood cocktails Campechana.

It always blows everyone away.

So good, so cool, so pretty with the slices of avocado on top. And so unlike anything most Gringos have ever had.

Of course, I serve "los cocteles camarones" or "cocteles Campechana" Mexican-style, in copas, with saltines and an assortment of hot sauces that I pass around in a cute little basket.

This is actually one of my Dad's favorite things. Maybe we'll do the famous "Coctel de Siete Mares" which contains Clams, Shrimp, Oysters, Squid, Octopus.

Or maybe you could fire up the barbie and do a grilled guajolote, como no?

Actually, that is one of my personal favorite summertime menus.

When turkeys are cheap - at thanksgiving or christmas - a loss leader at 99c a pound, I usually get one extra, and have the butcher saw it in half for me.

Then, in the summertime, I grill the half, and serve it with good summertime veggies, and a nice cold crunchy cranberry & apple salad.

Entonces, quizas guajolote, Guajolote.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

Starch:

the white truffle gnocci we served at school last night was fantastic. You could just flavor with truffle oil if you don't want to break the bank.

Dessert:

Three kinds of berries macerated briefly in reduced fig vinegar, also from last night. Yum.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Mr. G, I expect to be able to pick up some heirloom tomatoes from the hippies.

Perhaps a simple tomato salad?  (Basil, balsamic, perhaps a touch of shaved parm?)

I love this, but I've been eating it, or a slight variation, every night . Last night it was with mint, sherry vinegar, and chevre.

Last week I madfe some killer stuffed tomatoes: Rice, roasted peppers, browned onions, garlic, basil, and romano cheese.

Lets keep getting more suggestions.

Their is a liqueur made in France called Alize I was just turned on to at a friends last summer. It is a blend of passion fruit and cognac, and has a beautiful mango color. She made us some wonderful frozen margaritas using it, very summery. It can also be used for martinis, mimosas, or other frozen drinks.

I have also used it to deglaze my pan for sauce accompaning (sp) a sauteed halibut or other fish.

Smoky "T"

Mojitos are great, but an egullet original cocktail would be nice.

Try this: After School Special

or this: One part Campari and two to three parts Aranciata (orange soda from San Pellegrino) or Orangina. Serve on ice with an orange twist. Not original, but very refreshing.

Also, see the Pimm's Cup thread

After the success of MatthewB's thread last week, I thought we'd try this again.

Next weekend I'm visiting my parents in Grand Rapids, MI. Matthew and I thought it would be fun to make dinner together. We'd like some help with the menu.

We need ideas for:

-A nice refreshing summer cocktail

-First Course is going to be tuna tartar. I'm going to try to get some Wasabi Caviar to serve with this.

-shellfish course

-salad

-A meat dish. I was thinking of getting a boneless pork rack, which is the meat from baby back ribs cut into a roast. If you have other suggestions that's great.

-Vegetable

-Starch

-Dessert

Wine pairings would also be great. My Dad is in charge of drinks so price is no object :cool:

Matthew is going to get the fruit and vegetables from the Farmer's Market. Things currently in season here in the Midwest are tomatoes, green beans, cucumbers, corn :wub: , new potatoes, beets, greens (not lettuces really), summer squashes, eggplant, peppers, peaches, plums, blueberries, and probably lots of other things.

Thanks.

Can't help with the cocktail, so I'll defer to others' expertise. :hmmm:

but the rest of the menu, sure np.

With the tuna tartare, try it with a side of toppings, including crispy fried shallots, minced scallions, shredded pickled ginger, toasted black and white sesame seeds, the aforementioned wasabi caviar and strips of toasted nori (for crumbling). Maybe you can mix it with some hamachi.

For the shellfish course:

Ceviche might be nice. If this has been suggested already (sorry, haven't read through the thread), consider the following:

Clear soup, Japanese style, garnished with yuzu or lime zest, a clam or oyster, and a shiso leaf or sprig of watercress. I like the version served at Jewel Bako, where they include dumplings composed of ground or finely chopped yellowtail, but that might be a little too ambitious for a family get-to-gether... :huh: ;

chilled flan -- served in individual ramekins. Sort of like a chawan-mushi, but less complex. Fold in pureed shrimp or cooled chopped shrimp that has been initially sauteed in garlic, herbs, white wine and butter, into the custard mixture. A version done with crab or lobster is divine.

or a seafood risotto. Oysters, with a couple of mignonette sauces.

I like a simple green salad with a basic viniagrette. Sometimes simple is best. Otoh, not sure how complex you want to go -- so one salad I sometimes make consists of shredded duck meat, tossed with julienned yellow, red and orange bell peppers, along with watercress, mint and/or Thai basil, arugula and Boston lettuce. Maybe some crispy duck skin if I can get it. I cheat whenever I make this salad by getting the duck from a Cantonese takeout palace. I usually ask for a half duck, and it comes sliced. I remove the bones and separate the meat and skin -- shredding the meat and skin separately. Usually, the skin won't be crispy -- which is fine by me, I'll have that to snack on while I'm cooking. :blink: It just occurred to me while I'm typing this edit addition that you could easily substitute either broiled/poached chicken breast or crispy fried fish for the duck, although you'd probably have to change the dressing based on whatever you substitute, so as not to overwhelm the ingredients. I just had another flash of inspiration in that the next time I do this, I may substitute either soy sauce chicken or red-cooked chicken for the duck. The duck is usually BBQed Cantonese style, so it can take a fairly strong dressing (see below).

Dressing changes, but the basics are mirin, tamari, roasted garlic puree, a couple of drops of sesame oil, a couple of drops of chili oil, EVOO, rice or sushi vinegar and a little orange zest thrown in. You can vary this as you prefer.

As for mains, sides/starches and dessert, I could post some more when I get home when I have access to resources such as my cookbooks. A little direction would be appreciated, as in people's likes and dislikes, allergies and how much work you want or are willing to do.

Soba

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

As for mains, sides/starches and dessert, I could post some more when I get home when I have access to resources such as my cookbooks.  A little direction would be appreciated, as in people's likes and dislikes, allergies and how much work you want or are willing to do.

Don't worry about likes/dislikes/allergies unless guajolote notes something.

Post your additional ideas when you return home! :smile:

more ideas, as promised:

(shellfish course)

salt roasted mussels with roasted pepper aioli

pan-seared prawns or langostinos with garlic, mint and fennel (this is from Mario B's Simple Italian Food, but when I make it, I usually leave out the chiles that he calls for in his recipe, and substitute either lemon zest or a little preserved lemon instead. I once tried Meyer lemons (both zest and juice) and it worked like a charm)

pan-seared scallops and roasted cauliflower [balsamic brown butter sauce, chopped parsley]

------

(salad course)

cranberry beans, broccoli rabe and pancetta salad [red wine vinegar, with pancetta pan drippings for a minimalist dressing.]

mixed greens with pan-seared goat cheese and golden beets [white wine and honey viniagrette]

------

(entrees)

braised duck thighs with sugar plums

braised lamb shanks with red wine, honey, dried apricots and sweet spices (yes, I know this is more like a winter dish, but I love this dish and make it pretty often. it's a mainstay in my repertoire.)

while paging through Simple Italian Food, I came another favorite -- chicken thighs with saffron, green olives and mint.

The following are from "How to Cook Meat" by Chris Schlesinger and John Willoughby. If any grab you, let me know and I'll PM you the recipe:

Roast Pork Loin with Apricot-Sausage Stuffing and Rosemary-Garlic Jus

Roast Lamb Saddle with Peach-Pomegranate Sauce and Garlic-Roasted Tomatoes

Honey-and-Bourbon Glazed Roasted Loin of Veal with Crusty Sweet Potatoes and Smithfield Ham-Raisin Jus

Vegetables and starches are too dependent on what's on hand at the market. Since this is summer, I like to cook them as simply as possible and serve them with as little dressing or sauce as possible. Just EVOO and lemon juice, salt, pepper and maybe some herbs.

(dessert)

panna cotta, topped with macerated berries and shaved white chocolate

RIPE strawberries, with a sprinkle of white pepper, a light sprinkle of sugar and a splash of either balsamic vinegar or cassis

roasted bananas tossed with a sauce of melted butter, brown sugar, allspice, dark rum and banana liqueur; serve this alongside vanilla ice cream. Top with chopped crystallized ginger.

Soba

Matthew,

We should make a decision so that we can do wine pairings. What do you think?  Should we each pick two things from the suggestions? You go first.

Tuna tartare, tommy-style.

Jaymes' seafood cocktails Campechana