• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: NeroW - You asked for it.

NeroW

During lecture, I ate three pieces of the aforementioned Pound Cake--one with all butter, one with all shortening, and one with half butter, half shortening. Just to taste the differences.

So what was the report?? Any difference???

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Nero, Nero, cakes and suchstuff are not food and so need not be listed. :wink:

excuse me, SEZ YOU. :raz: I'm about to have to go track down a piece of pound cake or a cupcake or something, before I kill someone.

K

You see what I mean then.

Why are there all kinds of warnings about carcinogens from charred steaks and such but desserts are regarded as inviolate despite the fact that that they are worse than garbage nutritionally and distract people from consuming actual food?

Sweeeeeeeeeet.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

:biggrin:

Sweets may not be food, Jinmyo, but if they're personally baked for you by someone you know, I think they often qualify as medicine.

I like the oil that comes with cod livers.

Baked for me by someone I know means it's a prime rib seared than roasted in the oven.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

And Jinmyo?  If or when you ever visit Chicago, or if I ever get over there, I guarantee personally we'll find a thick prime Porterhouse with your name on it, and split a bottle of fine red wine.  Better?  No 'gah'?

:biggrin:

Sure. As long as we don't have to eat the wimpy tenderloin part.

Thursday, August 14 (stopped weighing self)

4 cups Upson's coffee

1 can Mountain Dew

Soups and Sauces Class. Hollandaise day, therefore:

3 tasting-spoonfuls of hollandaise

3 (OK, maybe 4 or 5) tasting-spoonfuls bernaise :wub:

1 tasting-spoonful of "Asian" hollandaise (reg. hollandaise + soy, sesame, cilantro, and minced ginger)

2 corn and queso fresco quesadillas while waiting for the mole to cook--my Chef was born in Mexico and considers mole to be *the* mother sauce, which is just fine with me.

So, a big plateful of simplified mole:

Roasted tomatoes, onions, garlic, ancho/habaneros, peanuts, sesame seeds, raisins, chocolate, etc., with a chicken breast and a pile of "Mexican" rice and several corn tortillas.

Another Mountain Dew.

Then, 3 glasses of Pinot Grigio at the bar.

A few hours after the mole ( :wacko: ), my share of the following tapas--

Marinated olives, baked goat cheese with tomato-basil sauce, grilled salmon with green peppercorn sauce, beef tenderloin brochettes with fries and caramalized onions, grilled chorizo and blood sausauge, smoked salmon with capers and dill cream sauce, patatas bravas, marinated pork loin with homemade fries, grilled squid with EVOO, garlic, and lemon, grilled Iberico ham with manchego and tomato bread, and grilled shrimp with EVOO, garlic, and white wine.

7 (or more, prob. more) glasses of white sangria.

1 Baskin-Robbins chocolate-vanilla swirl cone, single scoop.

Friday, August 15:

3 cups Upson's coffee

1 glass Naked juice

2 Bloody Mary's, one with beef-stick, the other in moving vehicle (I wasn't driving, folks) so no cop-attracting garnishes in that one :angry:

a few crackers with some sort of cheese spread

grilled bacon, cheese, and tomato sandwich on rye with fries

one and one-half "Chicago-style" hotdogs and the rest of my mom's fries

(sandwich, fries, and dogs consumed in same sitting)

split a large Taco-Bell cup full of vodka and fruit punch with the Boy

2 Oberon's

1 quart Old Style (only $2 at The Green Top in Kalamazoo, MI!)

1 Stoli and tonic

1 "Car Bomb"

a banana.

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words and attention.

Now I will go to a wedding, and lo and behold, I still fit into a size 8 dress.

Noise is music. All else is food.

lo and behold, I still fit into a size 8 dress.

Now i'm seeting with envy.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Chocolate-Sour Cream Poundcake

Don't have a recipe for it Aurora (I don't bake if I can help it), but there's a recipe for it.

I would imagine that if you wanted mocha, just sub some coffee or espresso in there somewhere.

I just made it up. heheh, thanks to the Googler, there's a real recipe somewhere out there.

Soba

Sis, sis, sis o' mine, you are the bomb diggety....

The shizzle.... :wub:

I can vouch for this massive consumption of food and liquor; I was there to partake in the majority.

Nero, we await the report on the wedding.

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

I'm getting tipsy just reading about all that alcohol consumption. :laugh:

Oh to be young again and with a high tolerance. :raz:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Whassa Car Bomb?

I don't want to think about it, but tanabutler is mostly right--only it's not a cocktail, per se, it's more of a shot. You drop a shot-glass full of either whisky (in the case of an Irish Car Bomb) or Bailey's into a half-pint of Guinness, and then drink it fastfastfast, before it "curdles."

Saturday, August 17

5 cups coffee, again, Upson's beans, this time at the Boy's house--he's buying it now, and so should you: Upson Web Shop

1 "Works" bagel with cream cheese, more coffee (part of a small cup)

a handful of reduced-fat CheezIts on the way to the wedding (not bad!)

5 cubes cheddar cheese, 5 or 6 cubes swiss cheese, a few swipes of Boursin, and a little triangle of Brie from the "cheese platter".

I also ate one of the crackers from the platter, just plain old wheat crackers, but they were soft, exactly as if a baby had drooled all over them.

If that happened with the caterer at *my* wedding, I'd be ripping somebody a new one. :shock: But cheese is always fine on its own, especially Boursin, which I prefer to just eat with my fingers.

3 glasses Chardonnay while waiting for dinner service (I believe it was Robert Mondavi they were pouring. At least, that's what my headache tells me right now).

1 dinner roll with soft butter that had been molded into pretty flower shapes, which I thoroughly enjoyed deconstructing.

I, being pretty much a lifelong meat-eater, had placed an order for the Prime Rib. FritzBrenner, my date, and a recently-converted meat-eater, somehow got stuck with the Chicken.

The Prime Rib came with what *looked* to be potatoes dauphinoise (capital-G Garlic too, let me tell you), and 5 green beans wrapped in a thin slice of carrot ( :huh: ). It was a gigantic slab of meat and I was pleased to see it.

The Chicken came in a pineapple (I believe it was pineapple) gravy :huh: , with a wild-rice pilaf and the same bean-carrot parcel. The Chicken was woefully overcooked--and I do mean woefully.

They, as we say at school, cooked the f**k out of it.

I had 2 more glasses of Chardonnay while we were eating.

Then several hours of Eddie Money, Al Green, Elvis, and 50 Cent :huh: ensued. My guess is that I had around 4 more glasses of wine during this time, but I can't remember the exact number.

The Limbo Stick came out at about 12:30 AM, and Fritz Brenner showed everyone who was boss on the Limbo tip.

I remember I had at least 1 glass of wine while I watched the Limbo--so maybe I had 5 more after dinner.

I had one bite of the wedding cake, which I wasn't going to eat. But I was sitting next to this horrid specimen in black and pearls who looked *just* like Amanda Peet (at least according to Fritz Brenner, I have no idea who the hell Amanda Peet is).

She weighed about 8 pounds, and she was whining to her boyfriend (who also weighed about 8 pounds)--"please, honey, please help me eat this cake, I've had like 3 pieces, do you understand I'm on my THIRD piece of cake, plus I ate all that meat and you hardly ate ANYTHING, please don't let me eat anything tomorrow, God, I'm like the big fat girlfriend and you're the anorexic boyfriend."

Finally the poor embattled man said he'd try the damn cake, so she fed him a microscopic piece of it, and then proceeded to start all over again: "Please, honey, help me eat this cake, I'm so fat and you're so skinny, why are you so skinny?"

He said: "I can't help it, I don't really like food."

:unsure:

At this point, I said "I'll eat that piece of cake if you guys don't want it."

So I had part of a piece of marble cake.

Also, I just remembered, I had a Bud Light with some golfers who'd crashed the wedding--they all had names like "Bud" and "Dan" and I think they really believed I was going back to their room with them, even though I implied no such thing.

If "illegal drugs" count as something to include in a Foodblog, I smoked a joint, too, with a few of my mom's friends, behind the lodge where the reception was.

Can I get arrested for that? Are there eGullet po-lice? :hmmm:

Then I went over to the Boy's house and we had a glass of Jack Daniels before bed.

On the rocks.

Noise is music. All else is food.

I also ate one of the crackers from the platter, just plain old wheat crackers, but they were soft, exactly as if a baby had drooled all over them. 

As it happen, dear Nero, I went to a wedding last night too. Had the same soggy crackers and had the same thought about emergency surgical procedures on a caterer who allowed this to happen at my party. At least you got some Boursin. Smoked gouda was as good as it got.

Same green beans and carrots. Same Mondavi. Cream of glue and broccoli soup. A whole skinless/boneless (napped in some truly horrible slippery white shroud) and a chunk of filet mignon, which came rare, thank God. Same garlic-heavy potatoes you had.

The cake at your party must have been better than the cake at mine; no way would I have consumed three pieces of this white tastless mess.

No Dan and Bud, but I did have the perennial Fresh Brother- in- Law. The music at your wedding sounds marginally better than the stuff at mine. The FBIL took me out for a spin to "Do You Love Me?" Yes, I conjured forth a decent Mashed Potato, but remembered that one cannot Do the Twist in four inch heels.

Full disclosure: Two JW Reds on the rocks, two (small) glasses Merlot, two (small) glasses chardonnay. The giggly gaggle of ushers passing around a joint behind the clubhouse were not as generous and welcoming as your Mom's friends.

Long drive home. Gin on the rocks. Beddybye.

And, babe of the Heartland, you are the bomb diggety.

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com