• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Asian picnic food

While sitting at a water park ( in New Braunfels Texas) some Asian people at the next table started in on their snack. Steamed long grain,looked dry and sticky, rice was room temperature it was rolled /formed into small balls and dipped into a brown rather thin sauce with maybe some thinly sliced green onion?

There was also a container of what from a distance looked like fried thin sliced bean curd or fishcake broken into small pieces and put on the ball of rice, all this was done with the fingers.

What was this stuff, what nationality, I want it at my next outing!

This is a wild guess but the only thing that I could vaguely tie to what you're describing is chicken rice balls dipped in soy sauce with green birds eye chillies. The fried beancurd / fishcake bit doesn't quite match though.

The sauce was a little too thin and brown to be just soy, maybe had some fish sauce added? birds eye chilies sounds promising although some of the pieces looked bigger, lemon grass maybe? Dont know about chicken rice balls. They just had a tupperware of rice and would grab a small handfull, put it on a napkin pinch a bit off and sort of squeeze it lightly into a ball, dip it lightly into the sauce, not all the way in. Looked like plain rice, although quite dry and very sticky

I asked a few friends about the sauce. No one seemed to recognize it.

Anyway, I just had to tell you about my family's travel food:

steamed white rice rolled in aluminum foil into a log shape and sliced into rounds;

a mix of toasted sesame seeds, salt, and sugar (for dipping the rice);

pork fu;

VN bologna, any variety;

salt and pepper

The most common thing is probably fish sauce w/chilis, but there are a number of different issan (northeast)/lao and northern thai sauces. it's almost certainly sticky rice, probably served in a basket (or maybe a plastic bag).

Might have been some northern thai dish like nam phrik ong, though that's not transparent at all.

http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/ingredien...ts/stickyr.html

Might have been some northern thai dish like nam phrik ong, though that's not transparent at all.

http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/ingredien...ts/stickyr.html

Wow that description really nails it, sound and looks like what I saw. I wish I would have just asked them but I'm sure my kids would have killed me for butting in on some complete strangers picnic, plus I already felt guilty sitting and watching them eat and trying not to seem too nosy.

Thanks also Soyamiso for sharing your family picnic foods :raz: