• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the best franchise/chain restaurant?

An interesting thing to note is that Outback and Carrabba are owned by the same company.

Interesting. Carrabba's started here in Houston. Did they sell out or did they aquire Outback?

Outback aquired them. I believe it was the later part of the 90s, but I'm not an expert on their corporate history.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

An interesting thing to note is that Outback and Carrabba are owned by the same company.

Interesting. Carrabba's started here in Houston. Did they sell out or did they aquire Outback?

Outback aquired them. I believe it was the later part of the 90s, but I'm not an expert on their corporate history.

I'm not an expert either, but their website says 1995.

Am I the only one that watches "Cucina Amore", the Carrabbas' founders cooking show, on PBS? I love to watch those guys - they crack me up.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Am I the only one that watches "Cucina Amore", the Carrabbas' founders cooking show, on PBS?  I love to watch those guys - they crack me up.

Nope... I LOVE those guys. I forget the exact relationship (cousins? in-laws?) but I think one of them is from the Mandola family. They have some excellent restaurants here in Houston. Carrabba's was just one of their ventures. They are just as entertaining in person.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Am I the only one that watches "Cucina Amore", the Carrabbas' founders cooking show, on PBS?  I love to watch those guys - they crack me up.

Nope... I LOVE those guys. I forget the exact relationship (cousins? in-laws?) but I think one of them is from the Mandola family. They have some excellent restaurants here in Houston. Carrabba's was just one of their ventures. They are just as entertaining in person.

If I remember correctly, they're an uncle and nephew.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Interestingly enough... This in today's Houston Chronicle Dining Guide.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/d.../dining/2032880

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The best chain restaurant in the world -- and I have little doubt that anyone who has been in one would disagree with me on this -- is Autogrill. Nothing else even comes remotely close.

--

There's a great coffee company located in the Minneapolis airport called Caribou Coffee. They have stores throughout MN and also in Chicago, Ohio, MI and GA (and maybe a few other cities as well). I think they're the only semi-national coffee company that's been able to compete against Starbucks in some markets.  It's a great product.

They have locations in MD and NC too. Sounds like a Starbucks in the making.

I know it's hip to dis Starbucks, but I really like their roast. I mail ordered their coffee for years before they expanded. And I'm happy to see it in airports because most airport coffee SUCKS.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I'm with Holly on the Waffle House love. It's cheap, consistent and totally satisfying. It's open 24/7, and you can always get grits. It serves the best Coke around. Waffle House is the only chain I actually get excited about when I'm on a road trip.

(Tangential note: what's up with all the Waffle House clones, mostly around the South? The main one is Huddle House, though there are others: they all have those signs with each letter on a separate square, just like Waffle House.)

I've only been to Outback once (in Parkersburg, WV), and was sorely disappointed. I thought it was gonna be all fun, with no rules- just right! But the steak was pretty mediocre. I was all psyched for the blooming onion, too: it turned out to be a gummy mess. Ick. I couldn't believe it: television has never lied to me before!

Avoid Mister Omelet, Huddle House, Pancake House, and all other pale imitators. Waffle House is it. Scattered smothered covered hash browns and pretty good coffee, plus you can listen to the country-western Waffle House song on the jukebox while you slam it back. I remember them having a pretty good pecan waffle too. Haven't eaten in one in years, they're not as far north as DC apparently.

Mark, we hit Subway as our fast food of choice on the road. It's not half bad. At least there are vegetables!

Scattered smothered covered hash browns and pretty good coffee, plus you can listen to the country-western Waffle House song on the jukebox while you slam it back. I remember them having a pretty good pecan waffle too. Haven't eaten in one in years, they're not as far north as DC apparently.

There is one in MD off I-95 enroute to Philadelphia. That's the furthest north Waffle House I know of. Philadelphia could handle 20 of them, at least.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I'll throw a vote in for Quizno's as well.

If Quizno's didn't acquire a melted plastic flavor (I think from their "oil & vinegar"), it'd be high on the list. But I don't think any chain sandwich shop provides a decent sandwich. Cheap bastards.

I shoulda figured you'd know exactly how far north they get. :wink:

What is the deal with the regional focus of this chain anyway? In DC there's nothing like this, and it's not like we have Joisey Greek diners to take their place. There are a few places that try...Bob and Edith's, Tastee Diner...but if I can't have Jan's House in Greensboro, NC I want me some Waffle House instead.

obChains: I should admit that I stop at Burger King on the road occasionally, for the purposes of consuming a BK Veggie. :shock::rolleyes:

Scattered smothered covered hash browns and pretty good coffee, plus you can listen to the country-western Waffle House song on the jukebox while you slam it back. I remember them having a pretty good pecan waffle too. Haven't eaten in one in years, they're not as far north as DC apparently.

There is one in MD off I-95 enroute to Philadelphia. That's the furthest north Waffle House I know of. Philadelphia could handle 20 of them, at least.

which exit off 95?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

But I don't think any chain sandwich shop provides a decent sandwich.  Cheap bastards.

EeGee's in Arizona.

Jason's Deli in Texas.

Oh, and I love the Pollo Loco locations out west. They take chicken and marinate it in a citrus-chile pepper mixture, then grill it over an open flame.

You buy it in halves or quarters. It comes with several kinds of salsa and fresh hot tortillas.

What you do is to pull off a piece of the tender meat, then put it in your tortilla, then pour some salsa over it and eat.

The BEST. Especially good to take as a picnic to those "concert in the park" type evenings.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

The best chain restaurant in the world -- and I have little doubt that anyone who has been in one would disagree with me on this -- is Autogrill.  Nothing else even comes remotely close.

just based on their website, i agree.

at least for the propietary trademarks, not the licensed brands.

Autogrill

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

which exit off 95?

Exits 109, 100 and 80.

To find the Waffle House nearest you : Waffle House Listing By State

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I'd like to throw another into the mix: Pho Hoa. Not the best pho around but they are right at around 50 locations and anyone who wants to put a pho restaurant on every corner cant be all bad!

phohoa.com

Nathan

The best chain restaurant in the world -- and I have little doubt that anyone who has been in one would disagree with me on this -- is Autogrill.  Nothing else even comes remotely close.

The one meal I had in an Autogrill was so delicious I still remember it quite clearly after 7 years (mmmm......stinchi!). In fact, I would love to eat in one, say, this week maybe.....unfortunately, I'm not in #@*!% Italy right now!!!

I almost never eat in chain restaurants of any sort when I'm home in NYC, and when I do always regret it. Last month I was visiting family in Ohio, and ate in several, including Outback for the first time ever. I really didn't like it much....given the choice, I would rather eat in a Houston's any day.

There is a chain restaurant there in Dayton, Ohio, that I actually like very much--The Chop House. Consulting the website, it appears there are only about 10 locations, all in Tennessee, Kentucky, or Ohio. But for what it is, and the price range-- excellent food.

I have had good meals at some Macaroni Grille locations, but unfortunately, quality seems to be widely variable among various locations. The one in Dayton used to be quite good.....the last time I was there, it had slipped noticeably.

Another chain, although slightly upscale, in which I've had excellent food is J. Alexander's, although the number of locations (about 25) is too low to qulify for this survey, I suppose. At least they're spread out over a much wider area than Chop House.

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

About a year or so ago Consumer Reports listed the top chain restaurants in America according to quality, cleanliness, value, food, service, etc. Do you know which chain got their highest marks? Cracker Barrel.

YUCK!!!!!!!!!!

I'm pretty fond of Chevy's tortillas and chips, and though I miss the ceviche they had when they were still a smaller local chain, I still find their fajitas consistently tasty.

In and Out. Wish they were in the northeast. The west ( CA ., NV. etc), has all the good ones!

As further validation for your choice, how about this? Julia Child moved out to Santa Barbara, California (from Boston to retire in the warmth) and said in an interview, "I do love that In and Out burger!" :cool:

Could anyone ever doubt the chain after that esteemed culinary endorsement by a national icon? Must be something special indeed ... but not yet in Atlanta ... here we have Johnny Rockets which also makes a burger from scratch ... :rolleyes:

and as for the chains, I vote as so many did, namely Houston's ... the food is good, not especially innovative however, but the silverware is heavy and I like that ... usually means something is of substantial value in the overall ambiance ... and the restrooms are superb ... a personal point of interest for me ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Growing up in the northeast, we used to go to Friendly's all the time and now try to catch one when I go up there. I'll second Romano's Macaroni Grill and add in the Cheesecake Factory too.

Author of the Mahu series of mystery novels set in Hawaii.