• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican Cooking class

I would love to attend but my due date is Aug 14 and if history repeats, I will be late. I just have to learn how to make chilaquiles. I hope the class will be repeated!

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

I would love to attend but my due date is Aug 14 and  if history repeats, I will be late. I just have to learn how to make chilaquiles.  I hope the class will be repeated!

Congratulations (a little early).

Jaymes, thanks for the chilequiles explanation. I especially liked this part:

But - with chilaquiles, the thing to remember is that there is no "right" way and no "wrong" way. Everyone has at least one version, and most Mexican cooks have many more than that. Just do whatever sounds good to you at the time.

Jaymes' Chilaquiles for easy reference :smile:

I too would like to see the two of these people cook Mexican together :wub:

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Thanks Jaymes for the great explanation. I guess I never had Mexican food for breakfast. I will search out the book you listed. And I think I must try the recipe because I know of no Mex rests. open for breakfast.

Thanks Jaymes for the great explanation.  I guess I never had Mexican food for breakfast.  I will search out the book you listed.  And I think I must try the recipe because I know of no Mex rests. open for breakfast.

Where are you? There used to be an absolutely fabulous one in Tucson that was only open for breakfast and lunch on weekdays. Closed each day at 2pm (I think). Small, family-run place that catered to the local working-class folks.

If you're in Tucson, and care, I can do some research. Man was that place good.

They never advertised or anything, and it wasn't well-known outside of the neighborhood. Mine was usually the only white face in there.

PS - It could have been the little Poca Cosa - not the big one.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

And I think I must try the recipe because I know of no Mex rests. open for breakfast.

Ain't exclusively Mexican, but if you're in Tucson some Saturday or Sunday morning around 8am, try Eclectic Cafe:

Eclectic Cafe & chilaquiles

In Phoenix? Try breakfast at El Portal.

El Portal & chilaquiles

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Current list:

Sweet Willie

Victoria56

Aurora (twins?, Flaca can take the kids to the park)

Maggie & Lou

We still have room for a couple more. If you want to go to the store (People who go to the store also get a tour of the Virgin of Guadalupe Shrine) come at 2. Cooking will start at 3. We're also going to make some sangrita to have with tequila :wacko: .

Something has come up and sadly, I won't be able to attend. I'll just have to wait and do the class with everyone else online. Yes, I'm bummed. I've been so looking forward to this. My husband surprised me with a road trip to St. Louis this weekend for the Fleetwood Mac Concert. We don't plan on returning until Sunday afternoon. One of these days I'll manage to hook up with some of you. And remember, I'm available every Monday through Friday for breakfast or lunch. And Happy Hour. Especially Happy Hour.

Something has come up and sadly, I won't be able to attend. I'll just have to wait and do the class with everyone else online. Yes, I'm bummed. I've been so looking forward to this. My husband surprised me with a road trip to St. Louis this weekend for the Fleetwood Mac Concert. We don't plan on returning until Sunday afternoon. One of these days I'll manage to hook up with some of you. And remember, I'm available every Monday through Friday for breakfast or lunch. And Happy Hour. Especially Happy Hour.

:sad:

A happy hour is a very good idea. Have fun in St. Louis :smile: .

Current list:

Sweet Willie

Victoria56

Aurora (twins?, Flaca can take the kids to the park)

Maggie & Lou

We still have room for a couple more. If you want to go to the store (People who go to the store also get a tour of the Virgin of Guadalupe Shrine) come at 2. Cooking will start at 3. We're also going to make some sangrita to have with tequila :wacko: .

Once again, the twins will be with their father (they really do exist, trust me).

What a great time. Thank you for your hospitality and showing me how easy it is to prepare some really authentic cooking.

It was a pleasure to meet Aurora also.

Look forward to more!

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

We had a really great time. Sweet Willie and Aurora were a huge help in the kitchen, and they also did a great job with the clean up. Willie is a really nice guy, and he sweats as much as I do :shock: . We both got hot peppers on our face and turned bright red.

I love lard.

More coming next Friday in the Mexican cooking class.

guajolote, this evening I made the green tomatillo sauce (from what I can remember) that you had made for the Chilequiles and served it poured over the grilled chicken thighs. WAY good, the wife loved it. (she was also glad to see the tomatillos that I did not know what to do with off the kitchen counter).

What was the brand tequila you had at your place?

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

That was a good time. Everything was excellent. Sweet Willie, it was a pleasure meeting you. As always, it was good to see Elizabeth, Iris and Robert with his new mobility.

The mole was beautifully well balanced, and it couldn't have been smoother (Willie pushed it through a strainer). It had a georgeous color and richness, and it was really easy.

The chilaquiles were so simple and delicious. I really loved the beans with the cojito cheese. That was especially tasty with the mole. That's what I'm having for lunch today.

I found out how well sagrita (sp) and El Conquistador end I meal. I had no trouble getting to sleep.

That was great food. I'm looking forward to the next class.

That was a good time. Everything was excellent. Sweet Willie, it was a pleasure meeting you. As always, it was good to see Elizabeth, Iris and Robert with his new mobility.

The mole was beautifully well balanced, and it couldn't have been smoother (Willie pushed it through a strainer). It had a georgeous color and richness, and it was really easy.

The chilaquiles were so simple and delicious. I really loved the beans with the cojito cheese. That was especially tasty with the mole. That's what I'm having for lunch today.

I found out how well sagrita (sp) and El Conquistador end I meal. I had no trouble getting to sleep.

That was great food. I'm looking forward to the next class.