• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican Cooking class

I'm doing the Mexican cooking class for the the eGullet Culinary Institute. If anyone would like to assist/watch, they are welcome to come. I'm going to do the cooking on Sunday, August 17. I can accommodate up to 8 people in my kitchen.

Volunteers will get to sample the food we are making :smile: .

I'm doing the Mexican cooking class for the the eGullet Culinary Institute. If anyone would like to assist/watch, they are welcome to come. I'm going to do the cooking on Sunday, August 17. I can  accommodate up to 8 people in my kitchen.

Volunteers will get to sample the food we are making :smile: .

Wow, Dean, this is terrific! We're glad that The Man is taking on this challenge.

Of course I'll try to be there, but I have a dim memory of a family wedding on the Saturady night before. Tinley Park or something. What time were you figuring on starting?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Wonderful stuff, G.

What are you making for the class?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Of course I'll try to be there, but I have a dim memory of a family wedding on the Saturady night before.

Do they need a caterer? :laugh:

No. :angry: The usual banquet hall stuff, I'm sure. And the dj, unfortunately, won't be MatthewB.

Yeah, what will you be cookin'?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Wonderful stuff, G.

What are you making for the class?

So far we're making:

Chilequiles

Tortilla Soup

Mole Oaxaqueno

Enfrijolades

I was going to ask you for your input before I gave the class :smile: .

Yum.

Sounds brilliant to me.

Just wish I were there! :rolleyes:

You know, if you have actual people (as opposed to virtual people) showing up for the class, you might slice some jicama and serve with salt and wedges of Mexican lime for people to munch on while they're hanging out before the class.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Yum.

Sounds brilliant to me.

Just wish I were there!  :rolleyes:

You know, if you have actual people (as opposed to virtual people) showing up for the class, you might slice some jicama and serve with salt and wedges of Mexican lime for people to munch on while they're hanging out before the class.

Those jicama wedges are good w/ guacamole too. Maybe we should have some cold Negro Modelos too :smile:.

I'm going to try to get a fresh guajolote to serve with the mole, of course.

:biggrin:

Still checking my calendar, Gentle G (more correctly: still at work on moving an obstructive appointment out of the way). This definitely sounds like something I should do.

Will you be making the tortillas or buying them?

Later --

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

:smile:

Haven't seen the article yet. I've had some at-home success with reconstituted masa harina and a rolling pin, though: I should probably just give in and get a tortilla press.

If you can get hold of a tape of the pertinent Mexico: One Plate at a Time show at www.fronterakitchen.com, Rick Bayless does one of the best demonstrations I've ever seen short of a home teaching session at a Mexican neighbor's house. He really makes it look foolproof.

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Well, G, this is just great! I don't suppose you're anywhere close to Texas? The menu sounds wonderful ... so the rest of us are expecting doggie e-bags w/ photos. Green or red chilaquiles? Are you having any difficulty locating chiles for the Oaxaqueno?

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

The egullet culinary institute exists in cyberspace only (Clickity here for more info)

The Mexican class will be in my Rogers Park kitchen. If there is interest we could walk to a local supermercado and buy the ingredients before starting.

theabroma, I will have no problem finding the ingredients in my neighborhood :wink: . I'll try to post pictures of the shopping trip.

If there is interest we could walk to a local supermercado and buy the ingredients before starting.

I would have an interest in both the cooking class and a trip to the local supermercado.

Let me know if there is room for this event.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

Man, I thought I knew Mex food after 20+ years in Az. and hundreds trips to Nogales, TJ,Rocky Point,ect...BUT I never heard of "chilequiles". Quajolote, please tell me the ingrediants if you would be so kind.

I sure wish I could attend. I would bring a case of Bohemia and a string of hatch chiles!

Man, I thought I knew Mex food after 20+ years in Az. and hundreds trips to Nogales, TJ,Rocky Point,ect...BUT I never heard of "chilequiles".

If you've ever been to a breakfast buffet in Mexico, you have undoubtedly had chilaquiles. They are a kind of corn tortilla casserole or hash. They take corn tortillas, preferably stale, and either fry them lightly, or not, then tear them or cut them or chop them, then layer them into a casserole dish like you might layer lasagne noodles.

You do one layer of tortillas, then some cheese - usually one of the wonderful Mexican white cheeses, but you can use cheddar or jack or a mixture; a sauce - most typically a green tomatillo salsa, but you see red sauces frequently, too (and you can use anything); often some sour cream - but sometimes that's just put on the top after baking; and you keep layering until you're out of ingredients or your pan is full.

Then you bake them. Or, you can stick them in the microwave. Or you can make them in a covered skillet or pot on the stovetop. You can top with a fried egg to serve.

This is like the quicky "comfort" food of Mexico. Every housewife makes them. Every abuelita has her own version.

They are ubiquitous at breakfasts.

Sometimes chicken or beef or shrimp or other ingredients are added to make a more substantial dish for lunch or dinner. And some cooks make them in a skillet or comal - just mixing the torn or chopped tortillas and frying them like we would do a hash.

I've even seen a version where they tear up the tortillas and just put them on your plate and top with cheese, salsa, sour cream and announce that they are chilaquiles. Obviously, that's MY least-favorite "shortcut" version.

I got my "shortcut" version of chilaquiles from my friend Lolita who lives in Queretaro, Mexico.

It's in the egullet recipe archives, I believe.

On busy mornings when she's trying to get her family fed and out the door, Lolita uses Fritos to make them, and then pops them into the microwave for a few minutes.

That's actually darn adequate if you don't have time to lay your corn tortillas out for 24 hours to get them stale.

But - with chilaquiles, the thing to remember is that there is no "right" way and no "wrong" way. Everyone has at least one version, and most Mexican cooks have many more than that. Just do whatever sounds good to you at the time.

It seems logical that chilaquiles began in the kitchens of thrifty Mexican housewives that, wanting to waste nothing, came up with an inventive way to use up leftover, stale tortillas, rather than throwing them out. I'm sure they must have combined the basics: tortillas, sauce, cheese - plus whatever else was available and seemed tasty. I've even seen peas, corn, carrots, left over from the previous night's dinner in the chilaquiles served for lunch the next day.

PS - Since you're from Arizona, I am absolutely positive you have often seen the little spiral bound cookbook called "Mexican Family Favorites" by Maria Teresa Bermudez. It's published in Tucson, and is all over Arizona (often sold from displays right by the cash register in Mexican restaurants).

There is a recipe in it for a stovetop chilaquiles with a red chile sauce. I've made it several times. You just never noticed. :rolleyes:

Edited by Jaymes (log)