• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mayonnaise Kitchen

KNorthrup

I have never even seen a recipe for Japanese-style mayonnaise.

There are recipes for making mayonnaise. Ingredients of one recipe are:

Egg yolk: 1

Salad oil: 150 cc

Vinegar: 15 cc

I have never even seen a recipe for Japanese-style mayonnaise.

There are recipes for making mayonnaise. Ingredients of one recipe are:

Egg yolk: 1

Salad oil: 150 cc

Vinegar: 15 cc

Is this the recipe for Japanese mayo? I was under the impression that Japanese mayo had no egg in it because it never needs to be refrigerated even once it has been opened.

I'm not a mayoraa myself, but I don't think mayoraa are something to make a fuss over. Japanese cuisine has depended too much on soy sauce, and mayoraa just want to taste something else. Others go for gekikara (激辛), or super-hot, foods, and others go for ketchup. And I think time will tell. I guess that a minority of mayoraa will continue to be that way, while most others will return to normal. Mayonnaise is high in calories, about 100 kilocalories per tablespoon. Most young people will find themselves unable to take that much of mayonnaise as they grow older.

Is this the recipe for Japanese mayo? I was under the impression that Japanese mayo had no egg in it because it never needs to be refrigerated even once it has been opened.

Who told you that? :blink:

Japanese mayonnaise manufacturers do use eggs and all recipes for home-made mayonnaise contain eggs. And mayonnaise has to be put in the refrigerator once the cap is opened and the aluminum seal is peeled off.

Mind-boggling question!

One more thing. There is mayonnaise without eggs--it contains tofu instead of eggs. It's mainly for those who are allergic to eggs.

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)

Who told you that? :blink:

Japanese mayonnaise manufacturers do use eggs and all recipes for home-made mayonnaise contain eggs. And mayonnaise has to be put in the refrigerator once the cap is opened and the aluminum seal is peeled off.

Mind-boggling question!

One more thing. There is mayonnaise without eggs--it contains tofu instead of eggs. It's mainly for those who are allergic to eggs and those who are calorie-conscious.

well nobody told me that. I just remember when I lived in miyazaki that kids would have their own kyuupi mayo in the little clear and red cap squeeze container. We didn't have refridgerators in our dorm rooms so they would just have it out in their room sitting on their desk or something. So nobody told me that but I was just under the impression that this type of mayo was not made with the same ingredients of mayo made in the U.S. :wink:

I too have seen mayo unrefrigerated here for long periods of time, I found this at the Kewpie homepage:

マヨネーズは高温(真夏の高い気温など)に何日も置かれたり、直接日光にあたると風味が劣化しやすい食品です。また0℃以下に置かれると、油が分離してしまいます。

開栓前は冷暗所に置き、冷えすぎる場所を避け、冷蔵庫で保管するときはドアポケットなどに入れるようにしてください。

また、開栓後は常温で保存するとマヨネーズ中の油が酸化し、味がおちるため、冷蔵庫で保管し、1ヵ月程度で使いきることをおすすめします。

A simple translation says that Kewpie mayo is a product that can become bad if held at high temperatures (like the middle of summer) for a couple of days.

Before opening it can be held in a cool place, but please refrigerate after opening. Not refrigerating it can cause the oil to oxidize and loss of flavor, it should be stored in the refrigerator and is best used up with in a month.

More questions and answers from Kewpie can be found here (Japanese only):

http://www.kewpie.co.jp/mayoworld/mayost_index.html

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I remember having a hard time getting used to kewpie mayo when I first got to Japan. It has a bit of a "bite" to it, sort of a hot mustard/wasabi burn-your-nostrils thing.

I knew plenty of gaijin who liked to have kewpie (sometimes with tonkatsu sauce) on their curry. Tried it myself once, and it was not too bad.

One of my favoriate foods using mayonnaise is a slice of bread toasted with natural cheese, onion slices, and a small amount of mayonnaise on top. I sometimes make one for lunch and have it with coffee.

By the way, Min, your foodblog is fantastic. I wish I could eat every dish you make. I envy your husband. :biggrin:

Oh god!All that talk about kewpie mayo is making me nostalgic.Must.get.this.weekend.ahh.

Thanks Hiroyuki :blush:I've been cooking consistently( almost daily) eversince we got married and loving every minute of it.

My experience with kewpie mayo was less traumatic :biggrin: .I had them with homemade burgers a couple of years back and  remember liking them alot.

are you serious? That is why I thought that kyupii was not real mayo, because it was not much like the american mayo which is an egg derivative. I had no idea that japanese mayo was made of egg, but it certainly has not bite to it. It is mild if anything and non-offensive to the tastbuds if you will. I don't know what you are talking about. :blink:

I am talking to NORIO in this post. Sorry, I am used to other forums.

Edited by mcabr (log)

• 4 weeks later...

Torakris - you mentioned a karaage drenched in ponzu sauce and served with mayo. Can you elaborate more on this dish? Can you tell if karaage was marinated in ponzu sauce and drenched in thickened ponzu or straight ponzu sauce? What type of mayo sauce and was it served on the side? I like the sound of this dish very much and want to try duplicating it.

Torakris - you mentioned a karaage drenched in ponzu sauce and served with mayo. Can you elaborate more on this dish? Can you tell if karaage was marinated in ponzu sauce and drenched in thickened ponzu or straight ponzu sauce? What type of mayo sauce and was it served on the side? I like the sound of this dish very much and want to try duplicating it.

I wish I could remember exactly, unfortunately that restaurant has closed. :sad:

It looked like the chicken thighs were deep fried and then dipped into a ponzu style sauce, they were quite wet, but not soggy. They were then generously topped with a tartar sauce like sauce....

I wonder if this has been discussed before--squeeze bottle vs. bottle.

I have a feeling that the ease of use of a squeeze bottle greatly contributes to the frequent use of mayo in large quantity in Japan. Do you agree?

I wonder if this has been discussed before--squeeze bottle vs. bottle.

I have a feeling that the ease of use of a squeeze bottle greatly contributes to the frequent use of mayo in large quantity in Japan. Do you agree?

hhhmmm.....

I never thought about it before, it could be a big part of the reason....

Sorry, I should have been more specific: Plastic squeeze bottle vs. glass bottle.

I think this is similar to tube mustard vs. mustard powder. When I was a child, only mustard powder was available (tube mustard wasn't invented then), and it was a little bit cumbersome that we had to mix it with some water whenever we wanted to use it.

Does anyone know the name of, or a recipe for a cold spaghetti pasta with mayonaise dressing and chopped vegetables japanese stlye? I had it once at someone's house and I was unlucky at finding exactly what I was looking for online.

I don't think there is any special name for that kind of spaghetti; we just call it mayonnaise spaghetti. And I don't think you need any recipe for that; you just boil spaghetti soft (not al dente :biggrin: ), put it in a bowl, and add some mayonnaise and precooked or raw vegetables. Don' t you agree, Kris?

Anyway, here is one recipe (there are a lot more, of course):

http://cookpad.com/oiko/index.cfm?Page=rec...42220&Mode=full

Does anyone know the name of, or a recipe for a cold spaghetti pasta with mayonaise dressing and chopped vegetables japanese stlye? I had it once at someone's house and I was unlucky at finding exactly what I was looking for online.

what kind of vegetables were in it?

If you ate it at someone's house it may have been a specialtiy of that house rather than a well known dish....

Stepping in here...

My limit to mayo is on tuna sandwiches... :rolleyes:

With that said I have a few comments/tidbits I've observed.

1. Not only mayo but ketchup comes in tubes. So, I think it's a packaging question (easier to use--squeezing) than "frequency of use" issue.

2. Japanese like tart mayonaise. Ajinomoto many years ago tied up with Best Foods, and the end result didn't make a hit in the market at first. Reason: the mayo was like American Best foods and thus not sour/vinegary enough for the Japanese. Ajinomoto has remained persistant and still sells all kinds of mayo now in competition with Kewpie.

3. Japanese for the most part HATE the Best Foods mayo that comes in a jar. They say it makes them sick to look at it since it resembles pudding or custard more than mayo.

4. There are a number of mayo cookbooks in Japan that use the white stuff into all kinds of stuff such as drinks, oshiruko, yogurt, cake, etc.

5. Which reminds me. My aunt in the states made a "Decadent Chocolate Cake" that called for a cup of mayo. (Also 1/4 cup of red food coloring too!!) The idea of mayo in cake to a growing boy was icky. But the cake itself was soooooo moist because of all that mayo.

6. At one time in the States there was a popular casserole dish called something like Chicken Devanne. You put cooked chicken, broccoli, 1 can of Campbells mushroom soup, and the same amount of 1 can of mayo. Mix and bake in oven and serve over rice. I remember it wasn't bad, but the idea of cooking with mayo is "foreign" to Americans. As is putting mayo on french fries.

7. There are all sorts of flavored mayo in Japan: Wasabi, tarako, mentaiko, tuna, katsuo, mustard, etc. I am sure there are more, but I'm not a fan and don't keep up on the latest on the market.

8. I do not like all thsoe breads baked with mayo on them. Ham rolls, cheese croissants, tuna rolls, pizza, whole-corn rolls, etc. Alt those delicious-looking breads ruined by having mayo gooped on top.

9. People always ask why Japanese food such as potato salad tastes so much different from what they are used too. It's the soury tasting Kewpie, in my opinion, (in addition to cooked carrots and cucumbers first salted, momi momi-ed, and then sqeezed).

10. Funny, ne. With all this talk about mayo, and hardly a mayoara around.

Happy squeezing!

what kind of vegetables were in it?

If you ate it at someone's house it may have been a specialtiy of that house rather than a well known dish....

I can't quite remember... It was some time ago. There was a small mirepoix of several vegetables; carrots and onions for sure. I'm going to feel so stupid if kewpie was the only ingredient to the sauce, because it was incredible.

thanks for the recipe link Hiroyuki

Edited by tektite (log)

Here is a very interesting website called Gourmet Ranking:

http://guriuri.com/ranking/ranking.asp?ID=16&TNO=685

The question is, "What do you eat with mayo?"

The most Japanese answered tako-yaki, followed by broccoli, yaki-soba, okonomiyaki, salad and fruit (fruit?? :shock: ).

The questionnaire is still open. You can send your answer.

Ha Ha. I have to laugh at the site Kris posted. In addition to asking peple what they put mayo on, there was another section devoted to "What I Eat That's Different from Most People". And again our white, gloopy stuff showed up a number of times.

People said:

Natto, soy sauce, and MAYO

Fried egg with ketchup and MAYO

Boiled spinach with MAYO

Curry with MAYO on top

Squash/pumpkin with MAYO

Tuna sashimi with soy sauch and MAYO

That white stuff gets on everyTHING! :shock: