• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food words often misused

Fat Guy

Buffalo wings are not  made from parts of the Buffalo, but there's a long standing tradition of naming food stuff for its place or origin. "Buffalo wings" may elicit some humor, but it's not a misuse in my opinion. "Swiss cheese" is far worse.

The BW's that I had were the base of the wing, turned into those mini-drumsticks. Multi-layer misuse of words.

"Shrimp scampi" has become associated with a type of preparation, but you have to agree that was weird as scampi (prawns) may be prepared any number of ways. It may be commonly understood, but that doesn't exempt it from being considered a misuse.

only people who know what scampi means in italian know it is somehow "wrong" or funny. the rest of us just accept scampi (no italics, as it's an english word in this usage) as a preparation.

:shock::smile:

"Shrimp scampi" has become associated with a type of preparation, but you have to agree that was weird as scampi (prawns) may be prepared any number of ways. It may be commonly understood, but that doesn't exempt it from being considered a misuse.

only people who know what scampi means in italian know it is somehow "wrong" or funny. the rest of us just accept scampi (no italics, as it's an english word in this usage) as a preparation.

"Scampi" is mis-used in the UK as well. It means Langoustine that have been de-shelled, processed and crumbed on an industrial scale to be sold at pubs. It meant originally the name of the animal now the process. Restuarants sell the same beast as "Langoustines". Originally, they were 'Dublin Bay Prawns' or 'Norwegian Lobster'.

Language, so confusing.

Otto, when they mean "oh-toe" (truncated oh and aspirated toe, of course.)

1. The most widely used in the world: with au jus (with with juice)

2. Healthy food? As opposed to sick, I guess. Food is healthful, all of it.

3. My particular pet peeve: tender crisp, as referring to vegetables. If it's tender, it cannot be crisp, and vice versa. Usually refers to warmed raw vegetables--they're certainly not cooked, as cooking results in a change in texture and flavor.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

The "shrimp scampi" I can remember having in the UK many years ago were essentially breaded and deep fried shrimp.

Anyway... just because something is "commonly (mis)understood" as having a certain meaning doesn't mean that it isn't still misused. It just means that the misuse is commonly understood as having a certain meaning. To make a comparison, everyone knows what I am talking about if I say, "ATM machine" but it is still a misuse.

--

Anyway... just because something is "commonly (mis)understood" as having a certain meaning doesn't mean that it isn't still misused.  It just means that the misuse is commonly understood as having a certain meaning.  To make a comparison, everyone knows what I am talking about if I say, "ATM machine" but it is still a misuse.

yer a stickler. :biggrin:

btw way, i found myself at a restaurant the other night with no cash. since i've done a bit of traveling, and realize that not everyone has the "MAC" system, as we do in NJ/NY, i asked the hostess if there was a "money machine" close by. she looked at me like i had 3 heads and suggested that there was a bank down the road with a MAC machine, adding, "if that helps." :blink:

Edited by tommy (log)

Confit....of tomatoes, shallots etc etc...is this right?

Presumably it is, if they have been preserved or at least had their shelf life increased.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Of course if I had never heard of the animal called a buffalo, there'd be nothing amusing about Buffalo Wings either. The less educated one is, the more likely one is to accept what one is told. :shock:

:unsure:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

My pet peeve is "fresh farm raised salmon" for a myriad of reasons. I picture the old man and woman with the pitchfork when the word "farm" is evoked.

On the other end of "jumbo shrimp" how about "popcorn shrimp" ?

The words alone "fresh frozen" is a bit odd, it is an abrupt description of a process.

The words alone "fresh frozen" is a bit odd, it is an abrupt description of a process.

But it can be applied to fresh pasta that has been frozen, as opposed to dried pasta that had been frozen(Like that would happen) :wink:

Translations of popular (and misleading) food terms may be worth a thread all by itself:

Fresh--Anything up to and including several days (or weeks) old but not putrid enough to attract the attention of health inspectors.

Home-style cooking--As long as you include prisons and other such institutions in the definition of "home."

Etc.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Much of this stuff began life with the word, "style" added after it.

So, "Buffalo-style Wings" and "Shrimp, prepared scampi-style" etc. But over time, the "style" part was dropped, being understood by most of the populace.

I can say no such thing about the current total misunderstanding, in the U.S. anyway, as to the meaning (and pronounciation) of "bruschetta."

We all seem to get that the Italian "ch" is pronounced with a hard sound when we say "Chianti" - why is it so difficult to figure that out with bruschetta?

And the majority of the US seems to believe that bruschetta has nothing to do with bread; but is rather, the now-common tomato topping.

And so I went to an "Italian" restaurant a few weeks back and the erstwhile young waiter said that the special of the day was "Chicken BruSHetta Pasta."

What on earth is that? I wondered.

"Well, it's chicken with bruSHetta, tossed with pasta."

:unsure:

What?

"'BruSHetta' is a kind of Italian salsa. So it's breast of chicken tossed with bruSHetta, served over pasta."

Oh.

:huh:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Jaymes,

Aren't you glad you asked?

Yeah. I could envision a couple big slices of garlic bread in my dish of pasta.

So I did ask.

And it turned out to be darn tasty. :biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Home-style cooking--As long as you include prisons and other such institutions in the definition of "home."

Rachel Ray, of TVFN's 40 Dollars a Day said on an episode yesterday enthused that the food at this particular place was "all made from scratch." she had a frittata. :blink:

Edited by tommy (log)

I can say no such thing about the current total misunderstanding, in the U.S. anyway, as to the meaning (and pronounciation) of "bruschetta."

We all seem to get that the Italian "ch" is pronounced with a hard sound when we say "Chianti" - why is it so difficult to figure that out with bruschetta?

I believe it involves the same logic which means the word 'Celtic' is pronounced 'Seltic', instead of 'Keltic'.

Chicken Bruschetta Pasta? Golly.

I believe it involves the same logic which means the word 'Celtic' is pronounced 'Seltic', instead of 'Keltic'.

I think all us Americans can thank Boston for that. Frankly, I believe the "bean" thing worked out better. :biggrin:

I think all us Americans can thank Boston for that. Frankly, I believe the "bean" thing worked out better. :biggrin:

A Football (soccer) team in Scotland is called 'Celtic' (Seltic), named after the baseball team (?). It will no doubt become the dominant pronouciation, along with Tah-geen (Tagine) etc.