• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

Well guys, its not looking good. We decided to stay at home and to keep mom company, as she's still not completely out of the woods.

Have a good time everyone -- and take plenty of pictures!

If you need a break for a couple of hours, you can mosey over to Burger Club.

Well guys, its not looking good. We decided to stay at home and to keep mom company, as she's still not completely out of the woods.

Have a good time everyone -- and take plenty of pictures!

If you need a break for a couple of hours, you can mosey over to Burger Club.

We might, thanks.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Yeah. There's 100 butter tart squares that need eating. :blink:

Jason, I'm sorry about your mom. I really hope she gets better soon. I'll miss meeting you. I was looking forward to it. :sad:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I'm sorry to hear about how your mom is doing. I think her son has a lot of fans here, and for those of us who haven't met you, we hope to get another chance soon.

Best Regards,

Mike

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I told her that it was because y'all haven't been taking your medicine.

:laugh:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Woo-hoo! Is everyone as totally jazzed for this wild weekend of partying down with like-minded strangers? I can hardly wait to meet everyone! I feel like I know you all already... :wub:

I'm bringing two pairs of jeans, one pair of shorts in case it's really warm on Saturday, my Pig Pickin' shirt ("Don't Leave Home Without It") and comfortable shoes. Ready to bartend on Friday evening (best place to mingle and meet everyone is behind the bar) and am utterly looking forward to this experience.

Swine in three days...YAY!!!!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'm packing today and loading the car tonight and early tomorrow morning. We're bringing all the paper stuff, trash bags, 2 cases of soda, and my sheet pans. Anything else? Did you think we needed the foil steam trays? Those might be better than sheet pans for serving the pig. And how about some munchie type stuff like chips or party mix?

ETD is 12pm, so we're gonna be to your house by dinner time. :cool:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

You might want to leave sooner if you have any desire to go to Allen & Son! Not sure if that's going to work, but it's possible.

Steam foil trays probably would be helpful, but if you don't already have them, we can wait and see what other people bring.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Jason, I'm so sorry to hear about that. :sad:

Katie and Varmint, If it's helpful, I can bring some Absolut and some Campari with me. I just bought a 1L of Campari on sale yesterday.

Jason, I'm so sorry to hear about that.  :sad:

Katie and Varmint, If it's helpful, I can bring some Absolut and some Campari with me. I just bought a 1L of Campari on sale yesterday.

Lush! Another reason I like Malawry so much!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Real Southerners come with liquor. :wink:

I only have a tiny bit of bourbon left or else I'd bring that, since it's REAL Southern liquor. Although I use bourbon mostly for cooking and baking, not for drinking. Campari and vodka are for my gullet only. :rolleyes:

Rachel & Jason, sorry to hear you won't be making it, hope your mom is doing well.

I've decided to go ahead with the Grilled Chicken & Pasta Salad as I've had a good history with it, and will also be bringing portabellas to grill with a chipotle marinade. I also made a couple liters of Mustard BBQ Sauce just to make tommy jealous. I'll also be bringing a full sized chafing dish (For hog) and coolers as well as a couple tables, chairs, cutting boards and BBQ utensils.

Should be there mid afternoon on Friday.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Dean, Can you pick up some extra tomatoes for me, 3-4 lbs.? I have a surprise appetizer coming with me.

I think the tomato deal was for 25 pounds. I need a little more than half for the stew, and, as far as I know, the rest are uncommitted.

Anybody who's read the Heartland get-together threads has to be dying for an official Guajolote appetizer. I know I am.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I'm bringing a half-dozen sheet pans, about the same number of quarter-sheet pans (all with racks), some big Cambro containers, a bunny brining bucket, a big cooler and about twenty shop towels. And I grabbed some HD foil and a couple of rolls of parchment, just in case.

I'm also packing my full travelling batterie of knives and gadgets, which will be available for anyone who's cooking. Between what Varmint's got and what I'm bringing, we should have enough tools for the crew (unless we need additional cutting boards?) If there's something you have to have for whatever you're making, PM me for the full manifest.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Dean, Can you pick up some extra tomatoes for me, 3-4 lbs.? I have a surprise appetizer coming with me.

I think the tomato deal was for 25 pounds. I need a little more than half for the stew, and, as far as I know, the rest are uncommitted.

Anybody who's read the Heartland get-together threads has to be dying for an official Guajolote appetizer. I know I am.

Yeah, I ordered a 25 pound box of heirlooms. I asked for the higher acid varieties, as I think they have more flavor. Hope that's not a problem. We'll be picking up at the farmers market on Friday.

Could people please PM me when you're planning on arriving? I'm just trying to get some semblance of order in my days.

Thanks.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites