• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

Better than a freshly decapitated Mummer. Ouch!

Hasta manana, baby! ETA - late afternoon, assuming the forces that screw up I-95, I-85, etc. aren't too much into play.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Varmint.... need me to bring extra coolers? Want us to pick up ice on the way on Sat.??? Thinkin 'bout noon or 1:00 arrival...

Spare me the bunny pictures pleeeeese :wacko:

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

You guys won't believe this. Charlie just called me after picking up the rental car we'll be driving down tomorrow. An EMT vehicle ran a red light and crashed into him!!! :shock: Mercifully, no one is hurt, but this is a BAD car karma week for our friend Mummer! His car bottomed out last week, hence requiring the rental vehicle. Unreal. Hopefully, he'll be able to swap out the car with the rental agency and get another this evening, but I'm on standby in case I need to drive him to the Alamo at the airport if the one in town here closes early.

I'm driving tomorrow as soon as he picks me up... :unsure:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

You should fly!!! I hope all is well and the trip down here is without incident.

Getting ready to eat dinner with Heather and Scott Shorter. See the rest of y'all tomorrow or Saturday.

Be safe.

And beans, get your hiney down here!!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

My 6 days off begins! How's that pig doing?

I should arrive at Varmint's by 6 or 7pm tomorrow.

How many will be around tomorrow night? Perhaps I could pick up a few bottles of Chimay (if you're a fan like me)?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

We are still awaiting photos of the "pig spa." Does the pig have a name (could be a good contest idea; winner gets the head or something). Would this be a boy pig or a girl pig?

Details, please!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Wait no more, here's the pig in da tub:

image001.jpg

Please understand that the head and the feet were removed to enable the pig to fit in the tub and to prevent the L'il Varmints from totally freaking out. One of them asked to see the rabbits: I showed her. I expect to be awaken several times tonight with screams of nightmares from her room. Whoever mentioned the rabbits to her should be physically reprimanded.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

We arrived safely in NC and we're enjoying the hospitality of V and Mrs V, and there are two little Shorters running with the 4 little Varmints. :smile: The pig in the bathtub is a sight not to be believed.

Three bottle of wine and a shot of grappa have done me in...time to get some rest. :wacko:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Wait no more, here's the pig in da tub:

Why is the theme from The Godfather playing in my head?

Whoever mentioned the rabbits to her should be physically reprimanded.

I prefer the term "attititude adjustment." It's most efficacious when done with the thick end of a pool cue. Lord knows, that's what my wife would be doing to me right about now. You might want to get hold of a Bonking Stick. I have a feeling that it'll come in handy over the next couple of days.

Y'all have fun. And post plenty of damn pictures!

Deep fried & sanctified,

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Please understand that the head and the feet were removed to enable the pig to fit in the tub and to prevent the L'il Varmints from totally freaking out.  One of them asked to see the rabbits:  I showed her.  I expect to be awaken several times tonight with screams of nightmares from her room.  Whoever mentioned the rabbits to her should be physically reprimanded.

Twas earlier this summer that Peter (age 7), came bounding into the yard -- "hey, can I go with Jorge and his uncle to the slaughterhouse to get a pig?" Sure honey, I respond. Paul is certain that Peter will return home a vegetarian.

Three hours later, he returns home, totally excited. "Mom and Dad! It was the coolest thing! They stuck the pig and blood spurted everywhere! Gotta go. I'm going to watch them cut it up. I even got to touch the head and the eyes!"

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Varmint....  need me to bring extra coolers?  Want us to pick up ice on the way on Sat.???  Thinkin 'bout  noon or 1:00  arrival...

Spare me the bunny pictures pleeeeese  :wacko:

Yeah, no bunny pictures.

:sad: I'm so sad we aren't going that I made Jason help me and jhlurie reorganize the "junk room" into a den. :raz: It's actually a livable space now and the shelves go up on the wall today. I can finally unpack all my cookbooks. :biggrin: I should have taken before pictures to go with the after (just imagine a room filled with enough boxes & junk to fill 2 50 gallon garbage cans and the Cadillac's trunk with clothes & miscellaneous crap to give to Goodwill).

Oh yeah, no holding back on the bunny pics. :angry: If people can handle a decapitated pig in a bloody bath, they can handle raw & cooked rabbit! :rolleyes:

:raz:

Raw bunny I can handle. Cooked bunny I can handle. Just no animated loops of headless bunny kicking, please. Just had breakfast (love it when the Indian architects bring samosas and fritters for Friday Morning Food).

Thanks.

:raz:

(Edited to add: Have a fantastic time, folks -- and lots of stories and pictures, please!)

Edited by Lady T (log)

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Please understand that the head and the feet were removed to enable the pig to fit in the tub and to prevent the L'il Varmints from totally freaking out.

Are you going to put the head in the stew or do something else with it? Perhaps you can get some hominy and make pig's head posole for morning after.

I let the guy who slaughtered the pig keep the head and innards. I just didn't want to deal with them this time around. The thought of marching around with a pig's head at the end of a pole did come to mind, however!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

This is going to be great! :smile:

Sorry I couldn't handle the long drive to get there. :sad:

Looking forward to all the reports as things get underway. Should a new thread be started for the grand slam and all the pics?

The thought of marching around with a pig's head at the end of a pole did come to mind, however!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

That made my morning! Have fun, you guys.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose