• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

OK, here's my list:

plastic silverware

plastic serveware

napkins

paper towels

plates

big red cups

permanent markers (for putting names on cups)

small clear cups for wine (?? do we need these?)

garbage bags

disposable gladware bowls for leftovers (if there are any)

Anything else?  Shall I pick up a pack of name tags too?  How about a case or two of Coke?

How ya doing for tables & chairs? I've got a few of each.

I'm renting tables and chairs for 60. I'd love it if we get more. Thanks.

Anything you want to throw on the smoker/cooker? We need to have something spicy, don't we???

Yes, something spicy. Will this be the same cooker thing the pig will be on? Or can the temp be upped? How bout dry rubbed wings? I have a good recipe somewhere... though I've never made it for 100 people, or whatever the latest count is.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Anything you want to throw on the smoker/cooker?  We need to have something spicy, don't we???

I could do a batch of chipotle marinated grilled portabellas, they're always a buzz...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I'm off to Costco this morning, so if my list isn't complete please post by 9:30am EST because I will not be making another trip this week.  :smile:

Don't worry about it, Heather. Thanks a ton.

Plus, we have a Sam's Club close by. :wink::raz:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I'm off to Costco this morning, so if my list isn't complete please post by 9:30am EST because I will not be making another trip this week. :smile:

Don't worry about it, Heather. Thanks a ton.

Plus, we have a Sam's Club close by. :wink::raz:

Oh good. I'm off then.

I 'll get a case of Coke and a case of diet Coke. If anyone has any desire for "boutique" pop they can bring their own. :rolleyes:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I got everything, including bowls for the stew.  Duh.

That would have been classic, to make umpteen quarts of stew and have nothing to eat it from.

you saying you don't believe in eating from the pot?

i can see it now, a line twenty deep of people waiting to sip/drink/eat from the ladle of stew as it comes out of the pot.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

No, it'll be Bobbing for Limas in the pot.  My wife's a doc, so she'll take care of those second degree burns.

what's a lima?

you gonna have minature peruvian capital cities floating in the pot?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

No, it'll be Bobbing for Limas in the pot.  My wife's a doc, so she'll take care of those second degree burns.

what's a lima?

you gonna have minature peruvian capital cities floating in the pot?

I'm sure he meant the alliterative alternative, Bobbing for Butter Beans. See the pronunciation guide on the VD Stew thread.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Time's running out, y'all, but it's still not too late to join us. Let me know of any last minute changes of plans, please. I'm not working on Thursday and Friday and will be running around picking up pigs, pig cookers, wood, cabbage, and lots of Prozac!!!! :wacko:

Looking forward to seeing y'all.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Scott has volunteered to coordinate the cleanup efforts. :smile:

And, as usual, I forgot something at Costco :angry: so I will be going back. Could we use some foil steam table trays? They had full and half sized and I almost picked some up the other day.

Don't forget the ice! Maybe one of us hanging around on Friday could be tasked with getting it.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Picked up the RV yesterday. Packed it. We'll be heading out on the road early Wed morning, with expected arrival in Raleigh about noon Thursday. We'll be at Dean's Friday night to help with the pig and anything else that needs doing.

I'll be bringing butter tart sqaures as long as they don't get confiscated at the border :blink: , and we'll pick up a Keg on our way to Dean's on Friday. Let me know if there's anything else. See ya'll soon :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Chafing dishes would be fantastic. Man, y'all are the greatest. Remember that the menu itself is fairly limited:

Pig (i.e., "NC barbecue" -- eastern and western style)

Chicken

Slaw

Hush Puppies

Boiled (barbecue) potatoes

Collard greens

Brunswick (er, VD) Stew

Maybe one other side dish, depending what's available at the farmers market. Green beans looked good yesterday.

Lots of desserts. I know we'll have apple pie, coconut cake, pound cake, bread pudding, banana pudding

Beer, sweet tea.

As far as ice is concerned, we can get lots of it nearby. We'll just have multiple ice runs. I'll probably need 20 bags just to keep the pig cold for its 24 hour brine bath.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Don't forget I was planning on grilling up some chipotle marinated portabellas. I'll also bring some mustard BBQ sauce along with the chicken & pasta salad.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Varmint,

Heather suggested I volunteer for the 'pit crew', or whatever you're calling the team to man the pig. Well sign me up.

I also thought I would offer to lead the cleanup brigade, unless that position is taken already. We will bring some contractor bags, and I will recruit assistants at the event.

I'm your only friend

I'm not your only friend

But I'm a little glowing friend

But really I'm not actually your friend

But I am

Don't forget I was planning on grilling up some chipotle marinated portabellas.  I'll also bring some mustard BBQ sauce along with the chicken & pasta salad.

I hadn't totally forgotten that, Mark. :wink: Actually, I got 3 hours of sleep last night, so I mostly forgot it! Thanks, and I'm truly looking forward to it. I expect we'll get a fair number of side dishes, but I was mentioning the ones that I know will be on the serving table.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Varmint,

Heather suggested I volunteer for the 'pit crew', or whatever you're calling the team to man the pig.  Well sign me up.

I also thought I would offer to lead the cleanup brigade, unless that position is taken already.  We will bring some contractor bags, and I will recruit assistants at the event.

Scott, thanks a bunch. We will need some help on the pit crew, just to make sure everyone gets enough sleep. The downside of such a position is that we really can't drink that much on Friday. Although, that just might be a good thing, eh?

As far as the clean up is concerned, thanks a ton. We'll get it all cleaned up one way or another.

Mrs. Varmint is using this as an excuse to work around the yard. She had her chainsaw out yesterday, and when she was finished with that, out came the pressure washer. I give my wife power tools for gifts. She gives me cooking stuff!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I just checked the Weather Channel and they are saying 30% chance of showers all weekend. So you travelers might want to pack a little raingear just in case...

:cool:

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy