• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

Malawry, what's up with Friday night?  At the Sweet n Tart lunch on Saturday, a bunch of people were asking about activities.  I, unfortunately, won't really be able to handle much of that aspect.  Weka, ditsydine -- can you help out?  I think a good restaurant guide would be helpful, or you could just call me when you arrive, and I can just tell you where to go!  :wink: 

Not sure what's going on Friday. Unfortunately my budget unexpectedly shrunk dramatically due to unanticipated expenses this month, and I don't know if I can afford to eat at Magnolia Grill. I would be up for a less-luxe get-together Friday night, however. Is there widespread interest? Varmint, any suggestions?

Shrimp and grits is easy, and I know a good source of peeled and deveined shrimp to make it even easier. Think of it as sort of a staff meal. The outside tables will already be set up on Friday, so we could dine al fresco. Now, how to get lighting out there . . . .

Gumbo is good.

We should try to make it pretty simple, shouldn't we? Or should we task someone with this staff dinner??

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

We should try to make it pretty simple, shouldn't we?  Or should we task someone with this staff dinner??

Both, I think!

I have a fantastic S&G recipe from Elizabeth's on 37th in Savannah that includes another Southern staple, red-eye gravy.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I'm in for the budget conscious Friday night eats too! Let me know what I can do to help with staff meal when I get there. I'm a mean prep cook if you need one (but please but the peeled and de-veined shrimp - it'll be SO much easier on everyone!). Charlie and I are leaving Philly at an as-yet-undetermined time Friday morning, so assuming it's about the 5.5 or 6 hour drive we assume it to be, we should be there in time to be at least a little help.

I'd also be happy to play bartender on Friday evening. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Umh, we could all just cook and eat at my house!

I'm in.

Me too. I need initiation into strange exotic Southern dishes. And I'll probably need a grammar/pronunciation class as well.

And..Yes! Miss Katie behind the bar!

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

And..Yes!  Miss Katie behind the bar!

Thanks for the vote of confidence Miss Maggie :blush:. I'm working out my cocktail shaking muscles with eager anticipation. Unless, of course, you prefer stirred... :raz:

I'm wearing my brand spanking new Pig Pickin' Baseball shirt that finally arrived today as I type this. I think I'll save that for Saturday, as I assume this shall be the "unenforced-yet-somewhat-official" attire for that afternoon? :hmmm:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'll be there. Perhaps I can make ya'll some sweet tea to wash it all down with.

I can show up fairly early if need be, to work on dinner prep.

Current eGullet attendees:

=Mark (2) (chicken pasta salad that doesn't suck)

Hjshorter (4 + 2 kids) (plasticware, plates, napkins)

Jaymes (1) (pinto beans and a vegetarian side dish)

Marlene (2) (butter tart squares or beer)

Mummer (1)

Malawry (1) (hush puppies!)

ZebA (2)

Jason & Rachel Perlow (2) (banana pudding?)

Varmint (2 + 4 kids) (pig, pork shoulders, chicken)

Tarka (2) (England!)

Weka (3-4) (bread pudding or gumbo)

Blondie (2)

Edemuth (1) (We may want you to do potatoes!)

Maggiethecat (1)

Ditsydine (2)

Joler (4) – Bourbon bread pudding

Aurora (1)

Ditsydine (2)

timothycdavis (2)

HungryChris (2)

Guajolote (1) -- Pickled okra

Dave The Cook (1)

KatieLoeb (1)

hwilson41 (???)

Al Dente (1)

In addition to these folks, we've got an equal number of unsuspecting folks who have little clue about eGullet. Easy prey, my friends, for recruitment into eGullet!!!! They'll be bringing pound cakes, pie, beer, and other side dishes.

We'll still need help with some cooking the day of the event.

We should get tommy to make us a bunch of CDs containing backwoods hillbilly music. I am going to try to get speakers set up outside as well as a few lights.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I'm still REALLY jealous.

but you'll be in new york at a pub having a 10 oz hamburger. who's jealous now?

Not me. But YOU should be, seeing you still could come AND you have realized that I'm only half the creep you suspected I was. :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

It seems that the Magnolia Grill expedition on Friday is definitely off, but for those of you who want to experience some truly outstanding food, I strongly suggest you try to make it over there during your stay. You will be very pleasantly surprised. Click here for a sample menu. If you're going to be here on Thursday, that might be the perfect night. Their number is 919-286–3609. Call if you want reservations.

For those of you staying in the hotel, there are a number of restaurants and watering holes within walking distance. I've cut and pasted a post of mine from June:

I measured distances from the Brownstone yesterday, so y'all would have an idea of walking distances: the NC State campus is about 3 blocks away. A great steak joint is 0.9 miles away (Sullivan's), which would be as far as you'd walk. Within that distance, you can find no fewer than 20 restaurants. We can send you for great pizza (Moonlight -- although it's owned by my wife's cousins, so we're biased), the best wine service in the city, if not the state (with an unbelievable wine by the glass option based on the size of the pour -- Enoteca Vin), a great martini selection -- oops, that's actually another block away (Bogart's), 2 Irish pubs, 2 Chinese restaurants, 2 earthy/crunchy/granola type places, a chili joint, a mexican place, an oyster bar, a sushi joint, a good Italian (518 West), a brew pub (Southend Brewery), a French restaurant (Bistro 607), a sports bar, a Greek fast food place, a hot dog drive in, and Char Grill, a Raleigh hamburger institution. Oh, there's an IHOP along the way, too. Going in the other direction towards the NC State campus, you'll find all the familiar trappings of a college campus, including lots of coffee houses and bagel shops (chains, unfortunately), but also 2 homemade ice cream places, a pretty darned good restaurant (Frazier's) and their new sister bar, Porters.

A couple of new restaurants have opened since June, including Vivo, an Italian place, that offers a breakfast service, too.

Don't forget that we'll be doing dinner at my place on Friday if you're here. Shrimp and grits!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

One more thing: Southern Season in Chapel Hill (25 minutes away) is one of the country's largest food and kitchen specialty stores, and they just moved into their new location. This place has 59,000 square feet, and although I've yet to visit, it should be incredible. Check them out online.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I've decided to also bring a batch of Pickled Beets a 'la Alton Brown.  Figure my bro will bring something also, don't know what...

Excellent. Don't forget that we'll have room on a second cooker if you want to do any spicy -- er, flavorful -- stuff! This goes for everyone.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites