• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

Still working on some music options, but please bring the acoustic instruments.  We might need it for entertainment during the all night pig cooking.

I'll bring an acoustic guitar and djembe (West African hand drum). I can't play either of them very well, but anyone's welcome to use them.

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

For those of you driving, if any of you have very large bowls or sheet pans, please bring them.

We have four half sheets. I'll chuck them in the car before we leave.

And remember we're bringing the napkins, utensils, cups, etc. I copied Tommy's list from the NJ event so that I won't forget anything. :smile:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

And remember we're bringing the napkins, utensils, cups, etc.  I copied Tommy's list from the NJ event so that I won't forget anything.  :smile:

fwiw, i brought about 500 too many of each thing. people were very good about using very few plates and utensils. i think this had to do with the fact that everyone ate at once, albeit for about 3 hours straight. :biggrin: and since there was no keg or massive common source, the red cups went largely unused.

And remember we're bringing the napkins, utensils, cups, etc.  I copied Tommy's list from the NJ event so that I won't forget anything. :smile:

fwiw, i brought about 500 too many of each thing. people were very good about using very few plates and utensils. i think this had to do with the fact that everyone ate at once, albeit for about 3 hours straight. :biggrin: and since there was no keg or massive common source, the red cups went largely unused.

Thanks Tommy. I will keep it in mind.

There will be a keg at this one, right? So red cups, and a permanent marker so that folks can write their names on the cups. And if Costco has them I might pick up a box of wet naps. :smile:

Is anyone bringing white bread?

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I'll need some volunteers to help make some dishes the day before and the day of the pig pickin'. Here's where I need help:

Cole Slaw (I'll have the recipe)

Boiled taters

Greens

I'd love to do fried okra, too, but that may not happen. We're talking mega-quantities of these items, by the way.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Who will be in town Thursday evening?  We could try to do something that night (i.e., a trek for barbecue).

We'll be in town by Thursday noon or so. We'd be up for it!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Could we add peas to the menu? I really want to see Heather's trick.

I learned my most amusing party trick there long ago...retreiving peas from my bra with chopsticks. It was 3am and I'm sure I don't need to say this but we were all drunk as hell.

I learned my most amusing party trick there long ago...retreiving peas from my bra with chopsticks. It was 3am and I'm sure I don't need to say this but we were all drunk as hell.

Maybe if we get as drunk as hell while it's still daylight....

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Maybe if we get as drunk as hell while it's still daylight....

:blush::blush::blush:

I don't remember the last time I got drunk. Not sure I want to start again now. Besides, someone has to put the kids to bed that night. :laugh:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme