• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

No problem.

Just got back from Mitchell's. I'll provide a full report later, but I'm thinking that we may be better off going to Allen & Son for a barbecue venture in October. Not that Mitchell's isn't any good -- it's fine, but I'm learning that it's more of a hit and miss proposition. Plus, their new set up is more cafeteria style, and I think that it would be better to have sit down service. Finally, Allen & Son is closer by about 20 minutes. Details to follow.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

[This is actually Tarka's partner...]

Fresh from the success of the UK eGullet St. John dinner - where we had suckling pig - we'd like to come to the pig pickin'.

Actually, Tarks's a native Brit and I'm American. I promised to show her the culinary delights of my homeland, I just never thought a pig pickin would be the first experience.

Sounds like great fun. We'll be sorting out flights from London soon.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

Wow. THIS is impressive. Eh, Varmint??? :rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

For those who really want to count down the days until the pig pickin', Fat Guy worked this up for me:

Go here for a countdown to the big event (this counts down to 7:00 AM (EDT) on October 11).  Click for the Countdown Page!

Does this mean we gotta get up prior to 7am on the 11th? :shock:

Of course, as the festivities will begin the night before, and sleep is not an option! :wacko: Actually, it means that Fat Guy wanted it to coincide with day break.

However, those on the cooking crew will need to man a couple of hours with the pig during the prior night/early morning. I just want to get about 6 hours of sleep. We'll start the pig around 7 the night before, and it'll be done by 3 the following afternoon. We'll serve around 5 or so. That should give us about 2 hours of daylight before the serious partying begins.

We're up for the cookin crew. Just as long as we get a couple hours sleep before the main event starts :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

[This is actually Tarka's partner...]

Fresh from the success of the UK eGullet St. John dinner - where we had suckling pig - we'd like to come to the pig pickin'.

Actually, Tarks's a native Brit and I'm American. I promised to show her the culinary delights of my homeland, I just never thought a pig pickin would be the first experience.

Amazingly, there are actually non-stop flights between Gatwick and RDU (our airport).

And I thought Marlene was bonkers to come from Canada!!!

My wife informed me earlier this evening that I sure as hell better make an awesome pig. The pressure is on!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I went to the markets and made phone calls to every high end produce vendor in town yesterday and today to try and find Meyer lemons (hey - nothing but the best for this crowd!) for the Limoncello. No luck so far. Will be asking chef at the restaurant if one of the wholesale restaurant purveyors has them, if not, will use regular lemons as I've done before. It still came out great, so I won't sweat it too much.

Curiously however, I found a vendor with whole baskets of limes for a song, so I bought up a bunch and will be starting a batch of Lime-oncello within a few days. Since so many folks are coming, I figured the more the better :biggrin:

Charlie and I were just discussing the logistics of driving down there together, so the Philly crew is getting psyched!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Amazingly, there are actually non-stop flights between Gatwick and RDU (our airport). 

now we hadn't found that one! we were planning to fly into dulles, spend a day or so in washington and then fly down.

don't think we're too insane...we were planning a trip to the us soon, and this seemed like a fun way to do two things.

now, i'm trying to think of something suitably delicious and british that we could bring. anything you guys fancy?

PS, can we get two t-shirts please? one xl (if there not too big) and one medium?

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum

now we hadn't found that one! we were planning to fly into dulles, spend a day or so in washington and then fly down.

don't think we're too insane...we were planning a trip to the us soon, and this seemed like a fun way to do two things.

now, i'm trying to think of something suitably delicious and british that we could bring. anything you guys fancy?

PS, can we get two t-shirts please? one xl (if there not too big) and one medium?

We are about 4-1/2 to 5 hours away from Washington DC, so you could actually come to Raleigh, rent a car, and drive up to DC. You could then come back through the Outer Banks of NC, which are lovely in October. The weather is quite likely to be what English beaches experience in mid-summer! :raz:

We need to do something on the t-shirts, as that thread has died down. I'll bump it up, but if we want t-shirts, we need designs!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

And I thought Marlene was bonkers to come from Canada!!!

You did? :blink:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

You could then come back through the Outer Banks of NC, which are lovely in October.  The weather is quite likely to be what English beaches experience in mid-summer!  :raz:

There is a really nice B&B called "The First Colony Inn" in Nags Head. It is very "English". I think you'd enjoy it. www.firstcolonyinn.com

Also, in Manteo, The Tranquil House Inn. www.1587.com very nice. :smile:

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

You could then come back through the Outer Banks of NC, which are lovely in October.  The weather is quite likely to be what English beaches experience in mid-summer!  :raz:

There is a really nice B&B called "The First Colony Inn" in Nags Head. It is very "English". I think you'd enjoy it. www.firstcolonyinn.com

Also, in Manteo, The Tranquil House Inn. www.1587.com very nice. :smile:

i think, with a bit of luck, jack will drive (i can't) so hopefully we can see one or two other things. jack's from dc originally so i think he wants to show me his old haunts.

i need to get onto the hotel situation too. thanks for the suggestions.

we're having a heatwave here at the moment, it's about 75 degrees ;-)

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum

Attendee Update!!

Hjshorter + 3 (DC area) + an unknown number of friends from Cary, NC

ZebA + 1-1/2 (Raleigh)

Marlene +1 (Toronto)

Vengroff +1 (DC)

Jaymes (Texas but Missouri by then)

=Mark (NJ)

=Mark's "bro" Rich

maggiethecat (Chi-town)

Holly Moore (Philly)

KatieLoeb (Philly)

Malawry +1 (DC area)

edemuth (DC area)

Dave the Cook (Hotlanta)

Kpurvis (Charlotte)

Dlc (Tennessee)

Mummer (Philly)

claire797 +2 (??)

Blondie +1 (NY)

Ditsydine (Raleigh)

NewYorkTexan (??) (Austin, TX)

Jason & Rachel Perlow (Jersey)

Timothycdavis (Charlotte)

Weka +2 (Cary)

Hungry Chris +1 (Connecticut)

Jmcgrath (Massachussets)

Hscottk is very interested (NJ)

Sam Iam is trying to cajole family members to come (Michigan)

Ladybug +4 (a strong maybe)

cat lancaster (Chicago)

foodie52 +1 (Texas)

tommy +1 (NJ/NYC)

Lady T ???? (Chicago?)

quajolote (Chicago)

NeroW (Chicago)

Aurora ? (Chicago)

Fresser (Chicago)

helenas +1 (NJ) -- Yeah, Helena!!!!

joler +3 (Greensboro, North Cackalacky)

zilla369??? -- (Louisville -- Jaymes has offered you a ride!)

beans +1 -- (Cleveland, OH -- Cleveland rocks, and so does beans!)

Mrs. Ramsey ?? +2 (Seattle!!)

Meatman +3?? (Chapel Hill, NC)

Tarka +1 (London, England)

Katherine from Maine really wants to come, but she needs a ride. Katherine must rely on the kindness of strangers to get here, so somebody give her a lift!

Xanthippe. Can someone fly her over on their personal jet? She really, really wants to come.

Please add your name to the list if you're planning on attending!!!

Currently, a number of non-eGulleteers are also planning on coming, including folks from Maine, Florida, Maryland, Norway (perhaps), Pennsylvania, and North Carolina (of course).

When we get to September, I'll start asking for specific assistance on some tasks or with side dishes. I know Katie Loeb is handling the limoncello (and variants thereof), many others have offered to make specific dishes, and Malawry is in charge of the hush puppies. We'll focus on the details closer to the event date.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Actually, I don't need a ride per se, it's just that the trip from here is too much for one person to do.

Then I'm sure you can get down to the NYC metro area and catch a ride with someone. Any volunteers to bring Katherine the rest of the way???

Dean McCord

VarmintBites