• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

Anything by Bonepony, but just because I think it would sound good..

Here's a list of pig-themed songs:

Nine Inch Nails - Piggy

Nine Inch Nails - March of the Pig

The Beatles - Piggy

Suicidal Tendencies - Choking this Pig

Dave Matthews - Band Pig

Sugar Ray - American Pig

Eminem - Chokin This Pig

I really wish I could make time for this. Sounds like it's gonna be a hell of an experience.

Oh, and, if i make it there, i volunteer to sing the national anthem as Mr. Pig comes off the pit.

What song would be appropriate for the pickin' of the pig?

Apj-023.jpg

honestly, you oughta be able to ply a local blues/grass group to play for free food and beer. I could investigate that for ya...

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Can you believe we're now on the 13th page of this thread, and the event  is 4 months away?????????

Went to 13 pages on the 13th.

On my screen, it's only 10 pages long. You guys need to adjust your Board Settings (click My Controls->Board Settings (on the left), set forums/topics to 40 per page).

Anything by Bonepony, but just because I think it would sound good..

Here's a list of pig-themed songs:

Nine Inch Nails  - Piggy

Nine Inch Nails  - March of the Pig

The Beatles -  Piggy

Suicidal Tendencies - Choking this Pig

Dave Matthews - Band Pig

Sugar Ray - American Pig

Eminem - Chokin This Pig

I really wish I could make time for this. Sounds like it's gonna be a hell of an experience.

Pink Floyd - Pigs on the Wing

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Can you believe we're now on the 13th page of this thread, and the event  is 4 months away?????????

Went to 13 pages on the 13th.

On my screen, it's only 10 pages long. You guys need to adjust your Board Settings (click My Controls->Board Settings (on the left), set forums/topics to 40 per page).

Why do I "need" to do this? I prefer the coolness factor of having 13 pages on Friday the 13th. :laugh:

=Mark

I booked the room for myself and accomplice tonight, Varmint, so we will be heading south from Connecticut. I am looking forward to picking some pig! Next I have to figure how the hell we will be getting there, Air, Rail or Road.

OK: we are coming from Texas! Am bringing the lawyer husband ( didn't one of y'all want one to talk to ???)

Am bringing tequila, t-shirts and cash donation. Will cost out the t-shirts: am thinking of having 50 made, all large and x-large. Will that do? Then I can get them shipped to the hotel so I don't have to unfold every one at the airport and then be denied a seat and held in custody because Security thinks I'm a nut case.

Will be making our hotel reservations tomorrow.

Varmint: you're a crazy man doing this. But how I admire you!!! Can't wait to meet ya!

I'll be headed down to Bro Rich's place in Arlington, Va. on Thursday, then leave for Raleigh on Friday morning. If you could wait till Friday for the BBQ Road Trip we could accompany you. We could provide rides for a couple other folks too.

PS - Put us down for 1 L and 1 XL shirts too...

Edited by =Mark (log)

=Mark

1 xl or xxl if you get them.

Right - Foodie, this IS a group of eaters! I'd suggest a few more "x's" :laugh:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Am bringing tequila, t-shirts and cash donation. Will cost out the t-shirts: am thinking of having 50 made, all large and x-large. Will that do? Then I can get them shipped to the hotel so I don't have to unfold every one at the airport and then be denied a seat and held in custody because Security thinks I'm a nut case.

Foodie,

Make sure you see a t-shirt sample before you ship them off to that hotel else we all might be running about with "Pig Porkin'", "Pog Pickin'", "Big Pickin'" or some other such nonsense on our chests. Or will it be backs?

- Weka

"Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least."

- Goethe

Do we have or anyone know of a graphic artist who could design the shirts?

Here is an example of one that was done for a BBQ I attended a couple years ago:

oink.jpg

=Mark

My sister might be up for it....she is an instructor in all things adobe and other things computer graphic and does some stuff like that on the side. She is building a portfolio for grad school so likely might be up for it gratis. And she is likely attending the pickin'. Want me to ask her?

- Weka

"Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least."

- Goethe

Do we have or anyone know of a graphic artist who could design the shirts?

I also have a very creative and talented roommate who would be up to the task, if foodie doesn't already have a design in mind.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Wow: it' s getting almost too complicated for me. I was just gonna do basic lettering on the front, with a big ole pig and somehow incorporate the egullet logo into it if possible

I wanted to keep the cost down so that each shirt wouldn't cost me more than $7. ( I may be hung with the remainders, after all...) I was gonna charge $10 for each one, to cover the cost of my shipping.

But go for it....if you can come up with something , do it. But let's not let it cost a hind and a haunch.....we're all spending enough just getting out there!

So let me know what y'all decide

Wow: it' s getting almost too complicated for me. I was just gonna do basic lettering on the front, with a big ole pig and somehow incorporate the egullet logo into it if possible

I wanted to keep the cost down so that each shirt wouldn't cost me more than $7. ( I may be hung with the remainders, after all...) I was gonna charge $10 for each one, to cover the cost of my shipping.

But go for it....if you can come up with something , do it. But let's not let it cost a hind and a haunch.....we're all spending enough just getting out there!

So let me know what y'all decide

Foodie -

Just spoke to my sis and she is really up for this. She'll design it gratis and put it in the best form to meet the goal costs. Guidelines from the shirt company would be hers to follow when you choose them. She says you can limit the number of inks among other techniques like one side of the shirt only in order to cap the costs. All she asks is that she can put the artwork in her portfolio and that she gets a free shirt. So here is what she would need to get flying:

- colors we want in, colors we don't want to see the light of day

- might be useful to pick the bgd color of the shirt material or state desire to go with multiple

- I take it we want the egullet logo, but which incarnation of colors might be a useful thing to know, is there an official one. I have seen a couple different schemes. (See home page and top of the discussion forum, for example.)

- names, dates, credits - i.e. all the writing we want on it (see first attempt below)

- overall style we would like to go with - e.g. the one posted earlier which I can send her is rather cartoony and light

In terms of words maybe...

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

11 October 2003

*could add first annual :-)*

Raleigh, NC *or do we need North Carolina*

Egullet...egulletarian...or some such...

Has someone thought that bit through more than I obviously haven't.

What is obviously absent in the above is that killer one-liner.

- Weka

- Goethe

So that nobody is stuck buying the leftovers, seems like there should be a cutoff date by which you have to "order" one. I know that they will undoubtedly come in lots of 12 (maybe 6), but still - we should be able to get a pretty good idea how many to order, and then make sure that any extras are sold at the event.

I'm sure there's a way to work it out so that nobody winds up in the hole financially.

Hell, they might even become collector's items and hot commodities on eBay! :biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I like

Varmint's First Annual Pig Pickin'

~ PIGSTOCK ~

Raleigh North Carolina 2003

I'm somewhat reluctant to get into the t-shirt fray, but if it's something y'all want to do, then we need to lay down some ground rules. First, it seems that many different people want to be involved in the design and printing of a shirt. As a result, we'll be dealing with subjective (whether an individual likes someone's particular design) and objective (its cost and size availabilities) issues. We have plenty of time to figure things out, and I really don't want to take an active role with this.

You guys can propose and post designs and let the folks determine which one they like. If we get enough design feedback, I'll create a separate thread for discussions about the t-shirts. All egos must be checked at the log-in screen. Once a design has been decided, you'll need to decide who is to print them. No offense, but I'd prefer that the t-shirts be printed and sold in a manner that doesn't result in a profit for one or two people. I certainly understand that it may cost people lots of money to get here, and for that I'm very appreciative and pleasantly surprised. However, the pig pickin' should not be about profiteering, even in the slightest sense.

Finally, any design that incorporates the name "eGullet" or the "Gully" logo would need to be reviewed and approved by Dave the Cook (Dave Scantland), who is the chief design guru for the site.

Thanks!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Varmint -

With you 100% on the above. Certainly Dave should be a key reviewer and decider, if there are multiple designs that have the logo or any other official design tie. I was also hoping that he could provide any official guidelines to the logo's usage. In terms of profit, none sought here and from what foodie wrote it seems to be a cover costs pricing. Although $3 shipping per shirt is a little steep. Must be hand courier delivered. :raz:

- Weka

- Goethe