• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

Scott discovered a conflict that weekend, but I have badgered him into going.  Can you believe he was actually going to turn down the pig-pickin to attend the world Diplomacy championship here in DC?  What a dweeb.

For those of you who don't know already, Diplomacy is a game.  Here's a short description:

"The game of international intrigue.

May your wit be as sharp as your sword, because Avalon Hill's DIPLOMACY game has captured the true spirit of the legendary board game. You'll start as one of the seven pre-WWI superpowers, England, France, Germany, Italy, Russia, Turkey, and Austria-Hungary. These political boundaries will become your prey as you negotiate your way to the top. Beg, threaten, plead and argue your way past nations where friends become pawns and enemies become allies. You'll have to be cunning, smooth, and deceitful. This is a game that can't be left to chance.

A detailed map takes you back to the dawn of the Twentieth Century!"

He plays over the internet.  :rolleyes:

I love him...but jeez.

Heather,

My husband used to play Diplomacy back in high school. Instead of Dungeons and Dragons, it was Diplomacy.

He never plays it anymore because 1) I am not geeky enough to enjoy it and 2) he never has time.

If DH accompanies me to this Pig Pickin' thing, I'll have him seek out Scott so they can discuss how they've clawed their way to world domination.

Scott discovered a conflict that weekend, but I have badgered him into going.  Can you believe he was actually going to turn down the pig-pickin to attend the world Diplomacy championship here in DC?  What a dweeb.

For those of you who don't know already, Diplomacy is a game.  Here's a short description:

"The game of international intrigue.

May your wit be as sharp as your sword, because Avalon Hill's DIPLOMACY game has captured the true spirit of the legendary board game. You'll start as one of the seven pre-WWI superpowers, England, France, Germany, Italy, Russia, Turkey, and Austria-Hungary. These political boundaries will become your prey as you negotiate your way to the top. Beg, threaten, plead and argue your way past nations where friends become pawns and enemies become allies. You'll have to be cunning, smooth, and deceitful. This is a game that can't be left to chance.

A detailed map takes you back to the dawn of the Twentieth Century!"

He plays over the internet.  :rolleyes:

I love him...but jeez.

Heather, we can leave Scott at my mother-in-law's house, where he'll have a high speed connection. Of course, we'll leave the kids there, too, while we get gassed.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Although it's not Southern, she makes an awesome limoncello that might make an appearance.

Shoot, Varmint! That's what I was going to bring! Between Herbacidal's Ginger infused Vodka and my limoncello, I was going to whip up some mean cocktails for the crowd. Lemon-Ginger Pig Pickers, perhaps? :biggrin:

Katie, please bring your limoncello, as my m-i-law has volunteered plenty already.

I'm trying to think of other good southern drinks that use limoncello, although straight would be just fine for me.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

LODGING INFO FOR THE PIG PICKIN' -- REPEATED!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~North Carolina Pig Pickin’~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, guys & gals, we’ve got some information for you.

After chatting with several Raleigh hoteliers, we have selected the Holiday Inn Brownstone. It is a very nice property. The following description is from the Holiday Inn website (which can be accessed via the link below):

“Fully renovated for 2002, we are the newest Holiday Inn in Raleigh. Our downtown location is next door to NC State University, and only 1 mile from the attractions and state government facilities of downtown Raleigh. We have 190 spacious well appointed guestrooms with all the amenities that our guests expect including: two line phones, coffeemakers, irons and ironing boards, data ports and voice mail. Our full service restaurant Ledo's has family friendly pricing in a comfortable atmosphere. Our lounge is open daily for your enjoyment. We have an outdoor pool and the adjacent YMCA provides all your workout needs.”

The Holiday Inn Brownstone also offers free local telephone calls, and free parking.

In addition, the hotel provides complimentary airport shuttles to RDU, so those that do not wish to rent a car can hop a free ride to the hotel. Varmint says that the hotel is within walking distance from his home (although a long walk, he says), but I am sure that there will be enough people available to share transportation.

The rate that we have negotiated is $67 per room, per night. It is a flat rate for a single or double. It does not include local taxes, which are 13%. This rate is for standard rooms. If you wish to upgrade to a suite, ask your reservation clerk for rates and availability. When you make your reservation, whether it is for a standard room or upgraded suite, please either post it in this thread, or PM me, so that I can keep a running total and coordinate it with the hotel to be sure our group gets credit.

We are holding a block of 15 rooms from Thursday October 9 through Columbus Day Monday October 13, a total of four nights. In order to get this special rate, we must use a minimum of ten rooms, and each person must stay a minimum of two nights. Should we drop below ten rooms/two nights per room, we will be subject to a rate increase.

We did check out several other properties. The B&B’s were too small to accommodate us. Someone had mentioned the Velvet Cloak Inn. The Holiday Inn compares very favorably with the Velvet Cloak and the bid from the Holiday Inn was considerably lower.

Each person will be responsible to secure his/her own reservations and for their own individual bill, including room charges and incidentals. In order to reserve a room, you can call the Holiday Inn Central Reservations toll-free number at 1-800-HOLIDAY, or the hotel directly at 1-919-828-0811. Tell the reservations clerk that you are part of the “Pig Pickin’” group. The group rate is not available for booking online.

In order to get this rate you must book and guarantee your reservation before September 25, upon which date any unreserved space will be dropped. Persons calling in after September 25th may not receive the special group rate. Unless a minimum of 10 rooms are reserved by September 25th, the hotel has the option to increase the rate, so all of us will appreciate it if those attending the Pig Pickin’ do stay at the Holiday Inn Brownstone.

The hotel’s general rules and cancellation penalties will apply. Check-in time is 3pm, although if your room is available you may be allowed to check in early. Check-out time is 12:00pm. YOU MUST CANCEL BY 4PM HOTEL TIME DATE OF ARRIVAL TO AVOID A CHARGE ON YOUR CARD.

~~~~~~~~So what’s to do in Raleigh?~~~~~~~~~

Sure the Pig Pickin’ sounds great, but is there anything else to do?

Raleigh lies in an area called “the Piedmont,” the heartland of North Carolina. It extends from the Atlantic coastal plains east of Raleigh westward toward the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The Piedmont contains rivers, lakes, woodlands, rolling hills, and picturesque villages that date to the mid-1700s. There are countless galleries, boutiques, and shops selling artwork, crafts, furniture and woodwork, and homemade and artisan foodstuffs such as jams, jellies and breads. The towns of Waxhaw, Cameron, Pineville and Matthews are devoted almost entirely to antiques.

Any duffers among us? There is talk of having an eGullet Pig Pickin’ Golf Tournament, which should be easy to do as the Piedmont boasts one of the largest concentrations of golf courses in the world.

Historic Winston-Salem is about an hour and a half west, and Old Salem, a restored 18th century village, offers museums staffed with period-costumed docents that provide a glimpse into a way of life in an earlier America.

Raleigh itself has many attractions worth a visit. The State Capitol was built in 1840 in the Greek Revival style, and restored in 1976. And Raleigh is home to the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences, North Carolina Museum of Art, and North Carolina Museum of History.

So there’s plenty to do!

(We are currently talking with some rental car companies to see if we can negotiate group rates there as well, and will post information as soon as we get it.)

Holiday Inn Brownstone

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Perfect. Thanks to a kind moderator who pinned the hotel information in the Southeast Forum.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I'm just waiting for my husband (his name is Don) to confirm whether we'll be flying out Sunday or Monday. The only flight out on Sunday for us is at 7:00 am. Somehow, I don't think I'll feel like getting up at 5:00 am after a party :blink:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

i may have to back out.

i am planning a conference that weekend for people around the state coming to Philly. i really should be there.

although continued monitoring of this thread is not helping how i feel about my obligations to the conference.

it is doing amazing amounts to my consideration of driving down at 2AM Friday evening to arrive 10AM Saturday morning.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I'm trying to think of other good southern drinks that use limoncello, although straight would be just fine for me.

Invent something with mint, maybe?

A Varminter?

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

i may have to back out.

i am planning a conference that weekend for people around the state coming to Philly.  i really should be there.

although continued monitoring of this thread is not helping how i feel about my obligations to the conference.

it is doing amazing amounts to my consideration of driving down at 2AM Friday evening to arrive 10AM Saturday morning.

Gee, I didn't think folks would start backing out until August or September! I'll keep you on the list until you get your priorities set straight.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Invent something with mint, maybe?

A Varminter?

Anything with lemon in it could not be considered a "Varminter".

Hmmm, has anyone ever done a tea infusion? I'm wondering if we could do a sweet iced tea with lemon shooter? I'll post on the libations forum.

And bigbear, how come you're not coming for the fest???

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Oh...and I'm bringing tequila.

Goes great with pig.

Varmint, why don't you pm Tony B? I bet he'll come. And he is truly a fun guy. We had a blast with him in Austin. And maybe we'll all get on the Food Network finally. Would beat some of the crap on right now... ( I already have my 3 seconds of fame on Tyler Florence's Eat the Heat show, but hey: I'm up for more!)

Right now, I can't plan that far in advance. Just in case, I'm trying to get ahold of a couple bottles of George T. Stagg bourbon.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Just in case, I'm trying to get ahold of a couple bottles of George T. Stagg bourbon.

My hero... :wub::wub::wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Oh...and I'm bringing tequila.

Goes great with pig.

Varmint, why don't you pm Tony B? I bet he'll come. And he is truly a fun guy. We had a blast with him in Austin. And maybe we'll all get on the Food Network finally. Would beat some of the crap on right now... ( I already have my 3 seconds of fame on Tyler Florence's Eat the Heat show, but hey: I'm up for more!)

We'll have plenty of celebs as it is. Tony would be on the "B" or "C" list. :wink: I'll have my agent get in touch with his publicist, if some spots open up.

Tequila would be awesome. Damn, I really am going to have to invite the neighbors to keep the cops away.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Dean,

If you come to my Paella party (July 19) I'll come to your pig party.

Love,

Dean

Dean,

Unfortunately, that's the first day of my summer vacation. Next time I'm in the area, as I try to head up to Milwaukee at least every other year, I'll give you a buzz.

Deano

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Right now, I can't plan that far in advance. Just in case, I'm trying to get ahold of a couple bottles of George T. Stagg bourbon.

One can never have too much bourbon at a pig pickin'. One can definitely never have too much awesome bourbon.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

( I already have my 3 seconds of fame on Tyler Florence's Eat the Heat show, but hey: I'm up for more!)

Hey! I beat you! I got 5 seconds on that show...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Dean,

If you come to my Paella party (July 19) I'll come to your pig party.

Love,

Dean

Dean,

Unfortunately, that's the first day of my summer vacation. Next time I'm in the area, as I try to head up to Milwaukee at least every other year, I'll give you a buzz.

Deano

:sad:

I'll try to come anyway .

Deano

hey varmint, is there a general plan/timeline?

are you going to still be going strong on sunday?

I don't think that there's a general plan, but I know some folks are coming in early and others are staying late. However, Sunday will likely be clean up and recovery day for me. Mrs. Varmint would frown upon one more day of partying for me, and I do have to work on Monday!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I'm in, I think.

Is there a place where I can camp? What's the weather like there at that time of year?

I can't afford no stinkin' hotel.

And who's with me on the tent front? Hotels are for Squares. :smile:

Noise is music. All else is food.

Umstead State Park is about a 10 minute drive from my house. I think a tent site is $12 a night. Here's a link to their fees page: Umstead Park

Of course, we might be able to find you a yard or something of the sort where you can put up a tent! You wouldn't want to do that at my house, as we have the tennis court and not much more. Plus, it's pretty damn noisy.

Get Awbrig to come down and spring for a big ass hotel suite for y'all.

As far as the weather is concerned, it's generally in the 70s during the day, and the mid-50s during the evenings. Perfect camping weather. It's also hurricane season, so if there's a threat of that, you can crash with us!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites