• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

I have it on pretty good authority that the Governor and his lovely first lady will also be attending, although we are not supposed to blab it all over. He is already fearful that he may have to call up the reserves for crowd control.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'm looking into having t-shirts made:

Pigstock '03

with a big ol' hog on the back.

If I make a couple dozen, will y'all buy one? It'll pay for my trip!!!!! :laugh:  :laugh:

Foodie - GREAT IDEA!!

I'll buy one. Just make sure to get plenty in the largest sizes! :laugh:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Well, as it looks like the Heartlanders will be representin', I don't feel too bad about not being able to make it... I will be in my 1st semester in law school--may squash all necessary brain cells. Oh wait, if I am going to be a lawyer, I sure better learn how to drink like one!

Fresser, Nero, Aurora, if ya'll drive down, be sure to keep a travelogue diary. I am sure the trip will be a riot.

I'll tell you one thing for sure. I've offered to bring a pot of beans. A few days ago, I stood there looking at my stew pots, trying to decide if I should use the large one, or the REALLY large one.

THAT decision has been made.

Neither one will work. I'll be needing a washtub for this crew! :laugh:

If someone will give zilla369 a ride from Louisville, she'll come.

I'll pick up Zilla. :rolleyes:

(Where the hell is Louisville?)

Jaymes, you still in Austin? I'd think Louisville would be quite a detour...

Would think it more convenient for one of the heartland crew...

Edited by =Mark (log)

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

If a train leaves Austin, TX at 55 mph on October the 8th at 10 AM, and arrives in Raleigh, NC on October the 10th at any time whatsoever, you can bet your ass it never gets anywhere near Kentucky. :laugh:

I'm good at word problems. Thanks for the thought, though, Jaymes!

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Ah, young eGulletarians!  What you don't know is that Jaymes will NOT be driving from the Lone Star State.  She'll be coming from the lovely state of Missouri!!!!

Hey, that makes a little more sense! You can't get anywhere east of MO without goin' through Louisville!

Can I bring a non-egulleter guest? If so, put me down for 2 and let me know as the date gets closer what I can contribute food and beverage-wise. :smile:

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

Varmint, have you given thought to renting out the convention center yet? :biggrin:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

My husband is about as non egulleter as you get :biggrin: . I'm bringing him (he wouldn't let me come to a party with a bunch of people I' ve never met without him :blink: . Any accountants in the crowd for him to talk to :biggrin: ? Alternatively, he talks to lawyers a lot, so he should be ok!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I think I'm going to have to make the Limoncello in barrels :blink:

I'll probably start two batches next weekend and let them mature for several months. How 'bout a batch of ORANGEcello too? I had some of that recently and it's pretty damn tasty. Could also make some interesting cocktails with that I think. :cool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Bluegrass band? It would be nice to have some pickers with the pickin'.

We already buzzed about a pickup band. With this crowd we'd have to be amplified. I'm ready, keys or squeeze, or both.

We're doin' mummers (but not suits) at the next Philly DDC dinner.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

I think I'm going to have to make the Limoncello in barrels  :blink:

I'll probably start two batches next weekend and let them mature for several months.  How 'bout a batch of ORANGEcello too?  I had some of that recently and it's pretty damn tasty.  Could also make some interesting cocktails with that I think.  :cool:

I prefer kumquatcello.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Just checked on a tent. We'll have a 30 by 30 set up, with tables. That'll seat about 90 to 100. If the rain is coming down sideways, we have bigger problems, such as keeping a fire going.

I've checked on port-o-potties, too. There will be one of those. Maybe even a high-falutin' one with running water. That's better than most people's bathrooms here in the South! My doublewide's septic system just couldn't handle so many flushes!!

Can you believe we're now on the 13th page of this thread, and the event is 4 months away?????????

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Can you believe we're now on the 13th page of this thread, and the event  is 4 months away?????????

Went to 13 pages on the 13th.

Varmint, with the tent expense and all, you just have to let some of us chip in some dead presidents.

Oh, and, if i make it there, i volunteer to sing the national anthem as Mr. Pig comes off the pit.

I have decided that there will be a contribution box, despite how tacky it is. Some people are bringing food, one of my law partners told me he'll bring a keg of beer (although it's Michelob Light -- ugh), and others can chip in a few bucks. The tent will be the biggest expense (about 4 times as much as the pig itself!), but some folks reminded me that this event has to occur, rain or shine, particularly when so many people are coming from distant and exotic lands.

If I can recover half my cost, I'll be happy, as I'm not shelling out for air fare, gas money, or a few nights in the Brownstone. Plus, I'm really just throwing my own birthday bash, as I will have turned 40 two weeks prior!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Kumquatcello sounds like a LOT of work, peeling those tiny little zests off. And Brusselsproutcello sounds, well, just NASTY! Blech! Actually there is a truly nasty artichoke digestif from Italy called Cynar. Just awful stuff. I promise I won't make that.

I'll keep working on interesting liqueur ideas. Maybe I'll make up a big batch of ginger beer and we can mix drinks with that! :hmmm:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol