• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

Looks good, V.  I will wait on buying the paper goods until closer to pig time.  We will also bring a large cooler and plenty of trash bags.

We're planning on arriving Friday noon, so Scott will be around that night to help with the pig.

Just promise me he won't come in Dungeons and Dragons garb!

No D&D garb, promise. :rolleyes:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

If we bring the RV, I won't need to borrow a kitchen to make the butter tarts.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the current list of confirmed eGullet attendees:

=Mark (2)

Hjshorter (4 + 2 kids)

Jaymes (1)

Marlene (2)

Mummer (1)

Malawry (1)

Ladybug (2 + 3 kids)

ZebA (2)

Perlow (2)

Helenas (2)

Varmint (2 + 4 kids)

Tarka (2) (England!)

Holly Moore (1)

Weka (3-4)

Blondie (2)

Edemuth (1)

Maggiethecat (1)

Ditsydine (2)

Tommy (2)

Joler (4)

Aurora (1)

Ditsydine (2)

Timothy Davis

Dave the Cook

Hungry Chris (2)

Katie Loeb (1)

Lissome (1)

Guajolote (1)

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

You've got Ditsydine down twice.

That's because she's a local! Thanks for the catch.

=Mark (2)

Hjshorter (4 + 2 kids)

Jaymes (1)

Marlene (2)

Mummer (1)

Malawry (1)

Ladybug (2 + 3 kids)

ZebA (2)

Perlow (2)

Helenas (2)

Varmint (2 + 4 kids)

Tarka (2) (England!)

Holly Moore (1)

Weka (3-4)

Blondie (2)

Edemuth (1)

Maggiethecat (1)

Ditsydine (2)

Tommy (2)

Joler (4)

Aurora (1)

Timothy Davis (2)

Dave the Cook

Hungry Chris (2)

Katie Loeb (1)

Lissome (1)

Guajolote (1)

We'll get an equal number of non-eGullet folks. I assure you that most of them are far more fun than me, which ain't saying a whole lot.

As far as the hotel rooms are concerned, I think we're OK. Jaymes???

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I have just ordered a copy of Ms. Whites's Brown Sugar, and will look for a good source for bubble wrap.

I've navigated O'Hare with more fractious burdens than dozens of cookies!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

i think this topic should be at the top of this forum to drive us all into a pig pickin frenzy....

we booked our flights from london this morning and i am now deeply excited. the only thing to do now is buy mrs varmint's biscuits....

Edited by tarka (log)

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

I think we've only got three left in the standard block. But several folks have reserved suites which are 'first come first served.'

I'll check with the hotel and see how the rest of their bookings look. If they have more space, I'll see if we can block a few more rooms.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Anyone else want to come?  We'll have food for you!!!

I'm doing my ding-dangedest to see if I can get down there. My grandfolks will be in town sometime around the time of your pickin so I'm not sure yet.

I'm hoping to know SOON. I want some of that!

BTW, I flew into Raleigh last week for a meeting then had to drive to a conference in Charlotte. I stopped in China Grove NC at a place called Gary's BBQ, and had some great stuff. For $6 I got about 1/2 lb or pulled pork, hush puppies, slaw, and fries. Was so good, I had to stop on the way back too.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Dunno if Varmint's still in negotiations with Southern Culture on the Skids, but somewhere on this thread is talk of making music. Martin or Fender was the issue, as I recall. Still coming?

A musical contribution would be much better than anything coming from my kitchen. Unless Katie convinces me to bring the roadster, I'll have a keyboard and a fake book or two.

Subject to Varmint's approval, of course. (SCOTS are booked in FL.)

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

A musical contribution would be much better than anything coming from my kitchen.  Unless Katie convinces me to bring the roadster, I'll have a keyboard and a fake book or two.

Subject to Varmint's approval, of course.  (SCOTS are booked in FL.)

what's a fake book?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Definitely a Martin event (Varmint has neighbors), but a low-volume keyboard wouldn't be amiss. I wonder if tommy will bring a set of congas?

A fake book (a big, thick compendium of popular songs, usually written in musical shorthand) is definitely in order.

Yes, all subject to Varmint's approval.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

No, because it gives you enough infomation to let you fake your way through just about any song in it. It's for those times when the drunk at the bar stuffs a tenner in the glass on top of your piano and requests One More for the Road. You can make him happy and feel like you earned it.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Varmint;

Anyone else want to come?  We'll have food for you!!!

I'm a rank newbie, but am trying to work the schedule out. Motel rooms, etc., are not an issue, because my daughter and son-in-law live in Chapel Hill. If it all comes together, I'll be there, and will be glad to work the night shift if you're short of help :biggrin: . This is a really neat thing you're doing. Many, many thanks for your generosity.

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

hwilson-

Bring the whole family!

Here's the current plan:

I will be cooking the pig on one large cooker. Wood has not been delivered yet, but we're trying for a mix of hickory and apple. I'm also getting another cooker, which will have pork shoulders and chickens. All brining will be done in a bathtub! Any pickling (i.e., inebriation) will be done on the tennis court! :raz::wacko: The pig will start Friday night. The shoulders will start Saturday morning. I'll make the sauce, which will be my personal bastardization of eastern and western styles.

Dave the Cook is developing Brunswick Stew. We'll cook a large pot the day of the event.

Malawry is in charge of hush puppies. We'll be using a large turkey fryer for that.

Lots of people are doing desserts and a couple are doing sides. We'll also need slaw, taters, and, if they're available, collards. I'll assign someone to make these. Any volunteers.

One of my partners is bringing a keg of (cheap) beer, but we'll need more. We can work that out later, but a decent keg would be good.

We'll need some sweet tea. We can make it here.

Most of the cooking will be going on at my house and at my in-laws' place. I have a crappy kitchen, but my in-laws, which is about a mile and a half away, has an awesome kitchen.

For those of you driving, if any of you have very large bowls or sheet pans, please bring them.

Mark, I can't recall what you said you might be doing.

I really am trying to keep the items we're making limited to the above. That way, everyone gets to have a reasonably authentic pig pickin' meal, with the appropriate sides. Plus, we needn't worry about everyone just getting a teeaspoon of each item. Desserts will be wide open, of course!!!

I'm not nearly as organized as Rachel, but I think we'll pull this off.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Where does one pick up a keg of beer near your place? We'll get one if you direct us to the spot!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Marlene:

I would suggest the Peace Street Market (used to be 7-Even -- not a typo). Probably 5 minutes from Dean's house. Head south on Wade toward downtown. Turn right on St. Mary's. Turn left on Peace Street, and its on your left at the corner.