• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

Bummer.  Bring the grandparents, too!  How many pig pickins have they attended????

They've attended at least one that I know of. My bro and his wife had their rehearsal dinner in Raleigh with a big ol pig on the smoker. This, despite the fact that when I was married some years earlier, someone down the street was having a pig pickin and left the pig's head on the hood of my car which my new wife and I found as we were ready to drive away. We divorced a couple of years later. I think it was that damn pig-- either the ex or the actual pig.

Anyway, I don't think I could talk the grandfolks into coming down.

Surely we could reschedule? Just kiddin... I'll send you my address to FedEx some pickins...

I hope everyone has a hell of a time, and I know your pig will be the mack daddy shit bomb (that's a good thing by the way). :biggrin:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Dean, and everybody -

So sorry to report that I can't come. Huge thanks to Jaymes for offering to pick me up, and to Aurora and Katie Loeb for offering to billet me in their room.

Since the restaurant i'm at has just opened, i need to stay put since that week will be prime time for the local restaurant critic to swing through, and, since i've morphed from salad bitch to pastry person, i want and need to be there.

I'll miss you all so much. Hopefully i can attend the 2nd annual :biggrin: or spring bi-annual version.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Dean, and everybody -

So sorry to report that I can't come.  Huge thanks to Jaymes for offering to pick me up, and to Aurora and Katie Loeb for offering to billet me in their room.

Since the restaurant i'm at has just opened, i need to stay put since that week will be prime time for the local restaurant critic to swing through, and, since i've morphed from salad bitch to pastry person, i want and need to be there.

I'll miss you all so much.  Hopefully i can attend the 2nd annual  :biggrin: or spring bi-annual version.

:sad:

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

OK, that's 2 "Regrets" in a row, plus a couple of cancellations from the PM crowd. We need some last minute commitments, too! This is going to be several days of riotous fun!!! C'mon, y'all, I even rented a port a potty!! :wink:(yeah, few things are as enticing as one of those!)

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Bummer Zilla! Was looking forward to seeing you and having a big 'ol slumber party in our room. :angry: I understand though. My new responsibilities have me pretty hog tied (pun intended) as well. But come hell or high water I will be at the Pig Pickin'! Just waiting for my shirt to arrive any day now...

Salad Bitch, eh? Some of the nicknames I've had are "The Wine Wench", "High Priestess of Hooch", "The Booze Bitch", etc. My personal favorite is "Principessa of Potables" :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

By the way, we currently have 13 states and 2 foreign countries represented.

Katie, are you still working on the citrus-cello? You realize that if you come on before Saturday, there won't be any left for the party itself!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Hm, we were going to drive down on Friday, but I'm getting the feeling that maybe we should come down Thursday night. That way we could do some cooking, if Varmint's kitchen is big enough for a crowd.

How about a big batch of potato salad? The trashy one with Miracle Whip, yellow mustard, and hard boiled eggs. :biggrin:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Hm, we were going to drive down on Friday, but I'm getting the feeling that maybe we should come down Thursday night.  That way we could do some cooking, if Varmint's kitchen is big enough for a crowd.

How about a big batch of potato salad?  The trashy one with Miracle Whip, yellow mustard, and hard boiled eggs.    :biggrin:

Yes, Thursday. You may stay with us that night so you needn't get another room. The house is booked solid the rest of the weekend, however!

That will be a lot of taters to peel, by the way, but it'll be fun.

I was thinking about heading over to Allen & Son for an early dinner on Thursday.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Bummer.  Bring the grandparents, too!  How many pig pickins have they attended????

Looks like a possible change of plans. I might not see them til the FOLLOWING weekend.

Keeping my fingers crossed... :smile:

-- A.B.

No Zilla?? Aw man!

I'll still be there. I tried to do a test batch of hush puppies last week--I'd bought some of the self-rising cornmeal from the Old Guilford Mill and wanted to make sure it worked well with my recipe before committing--and a bunch of pests flew out of the bag the second I opened it. :angry: It now resides in the landfill for the City of Takoma Park. I guess I'll be using the stuff they sell at my local supermarket instead...which works fine for the pups, but which wasn't milled down the road from Varmint's place on a water-powered stone wheel.

BTW, anybody still looking for something to bring (especially somebody with a Costco membership)? I'd accept a volunteer to pick up some sort of high-smoke-point oil for frying the puppies. Pronounced "awel" with a nearly silent "e." Enough to fill Varmint's turkey fryer.

Katie, are you still working on the citrus-cello?  You realize that if you come on before Saturday, there won't be any left for the party itself!

Varmint:

There's one batch of super concentrated lemon vodka already done, and another in the works. I'll be making the simple syrup and adding it all together about a week before so it can rest a bit and flavors can combine.

Should I bring it Friday night for the hard cores since it surely won't be enough for Saturday? Or should we wait until Saturday and just go first come first served?

Just let me know.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Should I bring it Friday night for the hard cores since it surely won't be enough for Saturday?  Or should we wait until Saturday and just go first come first served?

If you're going to dinner at Magnolia Grill, save it for Saturday. Otherwise, bring it on for Friday. We do need sustenance while cooking our swine!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Should I bring it Friday night for the hard cores since it surely won't be enough for Saturday?  Or should we wait until Saturday and just go first come first served?

If you're going to dinner at Magnolia Grill, save it for Saturday. Otherwise, bring it on for Friday. We do need sustenance while cooking our swine!

If I can make it, I'd definitely like to be in on the ceremonial cooking of the swine. What time will you be beginning the procedure?

-- A.B.

We'll get the fire rocking around 8 or so on Friday evening, let it cook down substantially, and then throw the pig on around 9:30. The first several hours are crucial, as you need to keep the temperature around 200 degrees to allow for an ultra-slow and relaxed rendering of the fat. I need at least 4-5 hours of sleep Friday night, so several folks have offered to take an hour shift.

By the way, it's awesome that you might come. My sister-in-law and her family (the ones you know in Salisbury), won't be making it unfortunately.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Yeah, strangely enough none of the other things I bought from the mill were infested. And fortunately the infestation didn't spread at all since I keep everything airtight once it's been opened. So, uh, no worries about those hush puppies. :cool:

We'll get the fire rocking around 8 or so on Friday evening, let it cook down substantially, and then throw the pig on around 9:30.  The first several hours are crucial, as you need to keep the temperature around 200 degrees to allow for an ultra-slow and relaxed rendering of the fat.  I need at least 4-5 hours of sleep Friday night, so several folks have offered to take an hour shift.

By the way, it's awesome that you might come.  My sister-in-law and her family (the ones you know in Salisbury), won't be making it unfortunately.

I'M IN!

I just booked the last available room at the Holiday Inn at the group rate.

If there is anything I can do to help out, just let me know. I'd be happy to be on the pig watch.

How many folks will be there for the festivities?

-- A.B.

Excellent, AD!!! When you coming down?

Malawry, what's up with Friday night? At the Sweet n Tart lunch on Saturday, a bunch of people were asking about activities. I, unfortunately, won't really be able to handle much of that aspect. Weka, ditsydine -- can you help out? I think a good restaurant guide would be helpful, or you could just call me when you arrive, and I can just tell you where to go! :wink:

We're still looking at about 110-130 people. Pig order was confirmed today.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites