• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

I think I heard you mention earlier that you will be going to Allen & Son on Thursday.  Is that still true?

If there's enough interest, we need to go to Allen & Son. Will anyone else be in town on Thursday? I may have to load up the mini-van and take the L'il Varmints with us!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Varmint, I was just perusing the "Squash" thread which provided a link to a great, simple recipe for Corn And Winter Squash With Spinach And Bacon

I was thinking of switching from the Pasta Salad which is actually more of a summer dish to this. Whaddaya think?

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Mark-

It's likely to be in the 70s with a fair amount of humidity on Saturday. I don't know if that helps, but it should be fairly summer like. Regardless, please make what you think would taste best, as that's all that's important!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

:wub:

I still have my kitties. 

I can arrange for pie to come to you, you know.  Who all is coming from here?

Elyse, we have three kitties we are leaving at home. We've got people to come in and feed them. ????

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

:wub:

I still have my kitties. 

I can arrange for pie to come to you, you know.  Who all is coming from here?

Elyse, we have three kitties we are leaving at home. We've got people to come in and feed them. ????

Okay, I'll bring them up to Canada!

C'mon, get the nuns to feed the little ones.  Or tommy, as he's just one step removed from a nun. :wacko:

If you can get down here, we'll find a place for you to sleep!

Never trust a nun! Or a tommy, for that matter. :biggrin:

I really would love to come, but I don't trust anyone with my cats (or my apartment) and my Rosewood would eat everyone's food the first day and vomit it all over the carpets. Chairs. Beds. Pool table. Other cats.

I gotta go bake.

Edited by elyse (log)

FYI: This event is being covered by the local newspaper, the Raleigh News & Observer. A reporter and photographer will be at my house on Friday and during the party on Saturday. They want to know why in the hell people would come from across the country for a pig pickin'. I told her that it was because y'all haven't been taking your medicine.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

FYI:  This event is being covered by the local newspaper, the Raleigh News & Observer.  A reporter and photographer will be at my house on Friday and during the party on Saturday.  They want to know why in the hell people would come from across the country for a pig pickin'.  I told her that it was because y'all haven't been taking your medicine.

meds? what meds? Oh yeah, that's why I'm coming from Canada. I forgot to take my meds. Works for me. I'd rather a party, than meds any day :biggrin:

Marlene

You ought to try to get in touch with the local PBS affiliate or other media. Central Virginia PBS came and filmed at another Pig Pickin that I used to attend in Urbanna, Va.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Weather forecast is calling for a high of 75 and a 30% chance of rain. I can deal with that.

Would anyone driving here (with extra space) have one of those water cooler thingies that I could put a whole bunch of iced tea into? I forgot about that!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Yes, we can throw our 5 gallon water cooler jug into the RV and bring it. Would that do?

Last batch of butter tart squares just went into the oven. I figure I'll have about 100 squares. Hope to God that's enough :biggrin: As long as they don't take them at the border. They're kinda fussy these days.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

FYI:  This event is being covered by the local newspaper, the Raleigh News & Observer.  A reporter and photographer will be at my house on Friday and during the party on Saturday.  They want to know why in the hell people would come from across the country for a pig pickin'.  I told her that it was because y'all haven't been taking your medicine.

And other countries, dear.

Well guys, its not looking good. We decided to stay at home and to keep mom company, as she's still not completely out of the woods.

Have a good time everyone -- and take plenty of pictures!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host