• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

Have a great time guys. It sounds awsome.

I'm off to my in-laws for the first days of sukkot.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

It has been since 9:17 last night since the most recent picture was posted, we need streaming Varmit-Cam [does someone have a wireless webcam on a miner's helmet that he could wear?]. This makes it difficult for me to live vicariously. (or is there a secret thread that I'm not seeing?)

It has been since 9:17 last night since the most recent picture was posted

Yes, indeed.

Please, post a pre-pig pit pic. (try saying that fast a few times)

A documentary of getting the pig (still unnamed, I assume) out of the tub?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I've been trying to snap a few images as the day goes on, but chances are I won't be able to post them until Sunday or Monday when I return home. Sorry kids. We are having a great time here though! :cool:

=Mark and his brother Rich have the fires going in both cookers. The tub has been drained. Guajolote, Malawry, Dave the Cook, edemuth and others have been very active in MY kitchen, and it's great. I'm eating cheese, drinking a bit of wine, and chillin'. We don't know where the Philly crew is. Marlene and Don went to Sullivan's, a local steakhouse, to have some good beef and enjoy some quiet time. Aurora had some flight complications, so she hasn't arrived yet. Ick.

Rachel, the custard for the nanner pudding is looking great. It's awesome when we have professionals keeping me out of my own kitchen.

Dinner looks to be some incredible shrimp and cheese grits dish.

Oh, and Blondie snagged a ticket to REM, so she'll be by later on tonight.

Lots of photos being taken, but no time to post yet. Pig goes on around 9:30 tonight.

It's not raining now, but it's very wet outside. Thank god for a big ass tent.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Dinner looks to be some incredible shrimp and cheese grits dish.

Would that be Bill Neal's Shrimp & Grits by any chance? If so, and if you've never had it, you're in for a real treat. Not that anyone needs this message of encouragement, but y'all have a great time. I am so jealous I'm making myself sick. Guess it's time for another glass of wine :raz:.

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

cool -

hope all arrive healthy and happy. keep the pics coming so we can live vicariously through them.

a wedding tomorrow(brother-in-law - i give it 3-6 months tops before she dumps him) for which i am doing the major foods other than anything on a grill( no not bbq or smoked - these people think you put meat over fire and that's it). this is the only thing that would have gotten me off a hawkwatch - oh, so very reluctantly - other than rain.

wish i were there with a sea breeze or a glass of bel castel in my hand. let us know when the video hits the airwaves and make copies for us "yankees"

take care all

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Hey, everybody! Elyse says heah! Philly crew made it, along with Al Dente. Aurora has landed, but has yet to arrive here at the Domaine de Varmint.

We're eating Marlene's butter tarts, a Canadian specialty. They don't suck.

Fire is still not ready. Pig to go on in 30 minutes. . . . . . . . .

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Fire is still not ready.  Pig to go on in 30 minutes. . . . . . . . .

Varmint, please describe cooking vessel. Big steel smoker? Homemade pit? Pictures would be great (hint, hint :raz:). Has anybody come up with THE name for the pig yet? Surely in a crowd with this much creativity, we can come up with a name for a damned pig :laugh:.

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

HeatherRockON.jpg

hjshorter sez, "Rock On"!!!

Malawryetal.jpg

The crew who kicked me out of my kitchen: Malawry, Dave the Cook, edemuth, Guajolote

KatieLimoncello.jpg

KatieLoeb and her limoncello. Mmmmmmm.

=MarkLog.jpg

=Mark moving a log, a smoky one at that.

AlDentePig.jpg

Al_Dente and his girls. See how hard his nipples are???

PigonGrill.jpg

Puttin' da pig on da grill.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

geez- i recognize that look in al's eyes- PURE PORK LUST! (fueled by something liquid) i remember when he used to get misty eyed over my grilled tenderloin- he's come along way. looks like y'all are having a time already.

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"