• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

oh man.  how cool is this. 

i can't believe that just about everyone that i'd every ever want to meet in my life is there with smiles and having fun.  :angry:

yes, for some reason i'm angry.  :biggrin:

Damn. We're missing all the fun.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I'd be a whole lot more depressed about not being there were Paul and I not heading north tomorrow to have brisket with Klink and Batgrrrl :biggrin:

In my recovering-from-pneumonia state, the 2 hours north is just about all I can handle.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

There hasn't been much sleeping tonight, as it's 5:05. The crew has done an awesome job with the pig, keeping it between 200 - 250 degrees F. Scott Shorter has been manning the pit the last two hours, and I'm taking out an IPA to him -- nothing like beer for breakfast.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Hi Guys, buckets of jealousy here from Australia (just a "bit" far to come even for a "pig pickin")

Please post more pictures, I too am living vicariously through them.

My sister currently has an exchange student from down your "neck of the woods" and she tells me she would pay the airfare for good hushpuppies and pig pickin and thinks we should have flown over!!

Instead we have elected her chief cook and bottle washer for our own down under pickin (she says she cannot cook but will email her mother for recipies etc!!) looking forward to this.

Hope you all have a great time and tell all of us unable to attend just "how good" it really was!

This is truly amazing. Tommy may be a little angry, but I am blue perfect pissed that I'm not there :raz:. Great pictures, Varmint. Keep 'em comin', and y'all have a wonderful time (as if that needed to be mentioned :laugh:).

THW

P.S. IPA really is the Breakfast of Champions!

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

The pig is a deep russet red. It looks scrumptious and nothing like the raw animal we threw on the grill last night.

I just finished assembling three pans of Rachel's banana pudding with the assistance of two young sous-chefs (young sir Benjamin and madam Ryan). They look terrific. And then we ate some hot Krispy Kremes washed down with Guajolote's excellent coffee for breakfast.

I'm in heaven here. Nothing like a weekend with a bunch of foodies to make me feel in-touch with my own food geekiness. Varmint is my hero for putting this on. :wub:

When's the webcam going to be set up? More pics, more updates please.

Hi Guys, buckets of jealousy here from Australia.... My sister currently has an exchange student from down your "neck of the woods" and she tells me she would pay the airfare for good hushpuppies and pig pickin and thinks we should have flown over!!

Instead we have elected her chief cook and bottle washer for our own down under pickin (she says she cannot cook but will email her mother for recipies etc!!) looking forward to this.

Be sure to post a "would you come?" notice on your local forum. Who knows who may come to Australia just for your pickin'? :wink:

CharlieAccordian.jpg

Mummer is rockin' da house!

Pigat5AM.jpg

Pig at 5 AM. It was the best of times. . . . but it was lonely.

MakinBananaPudding.jpg

The L'il Varmints teaching Malawry a thing or two about making nanner puddin'.

SmokinCookers.jpg

*Cue up Deep Purple* Smoke on the Tennis Court, Fire in the Pit.

FlippinPig.jpg

This is a big pig. Notice my great concentration.

FlippedPig.jpg

The piece de resistance! (or however you spell it!)

ScottEating.jpg

Scott Shorter did the 2:30 to 5:00 shift. Scott Shorter gets rib.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Scott Shorter did the 2:30 to 5:00 shift. Scott Shorter gets rib.

Thanks, Dean. It was darn good. :cool:

Just think, I could have been at my Diplomacy tournament right now... :unsure:

Sorry to Tommy, Jason and Rachel, and everyone else who wanted to make it - maybe we can dispatch some leftovers with homebound pig pickers for you.

As for the promised wireless network and webcam, I had difficulties setting up the network when we arrived Thursday night... I've gotten some advice on how to proceed and will try again this morning.

Cheers,

Scott

I'm your only friend

I'm not your only friend

But I'm a little glowing friend

But really I'm not actually your friend

But I am

Scott Shorter did the 2:30 to 5:00 shift.  Scott Shorter gets rib.

Scott is so dreamy. :wub::biggrin:

He's cutting up the other half of the collard greens right now. Dean bought eight bunches. That's a giant honking load of greens. Bring on the fatback!

Edit: That was actually Heather posting. Oops. :blush:

Edited by sashorter (log)

I'm your only friend

I'm not your only friend

But I'm a little glowing friend

But really I'm not actually your friend

But I am

Leftovers? You won't have no frickin' leftovers! (not pig, anyway :angry: )

Love the little curly tail on the baby! And I admit I was wrong: the 2 Deans are nothing like each other. (So how come we still haven't seen a picture of the 2 of them together? :hmmm::hmmm::hmmm: ) And the oldest Li'l Varmint is just as beautiful as her mother!!

This is truly amazing.  Tommy may be a little angry, but I am blue perfect pissed that I'm not there :raz:.

And I am just completely and totally bummed that I'm not there.

Unfortunately, my life has taken a last-minute turn south, and not in a good way.

And reading this stuff, I am as torn as that pig.

Happy for y'all of course, that you're having so much fun and everything....

BUT - also, dying of envy.

Thanks to everyone that is posting updates, and especially the photos of course. It's really fun to read along!

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Today is a day that will live in pigfamy.

How long have you been waiting to use that line? :laugh:

WEBCAM! WEBCAM! WEBCAM! WEBCAM! WEBCAM!

Someone get Vengroff to lead the tech support team...

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

This beats the hell out of Cabrales roasting a chicken!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Damn. That was funny.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Today is a day that will live in pigfamy.

How long have you been waiting to use that line? :laugh:

WEBCAM! WEBCAM! WEBCAM! WEBCAM! WEBCAM!

Someone get Vengroff to lead the tech support team...

Scott is taking a well deserved nap right now, but the network is set up and Tarka is here with the webcam so you will get some live action later on. :smile:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme