• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cross-cultural Food-related Habits

I was cooking Italian the other night when it struck me how much my cooking habits have changed since I started cooking Japanese food regularly. There I was grating the parmesan with my oroshi-gane (daikon grater), using long cooking chopsticks to saute the shrimp, wondering if the Japanese rice I was using would make a decent substitute for arborio rice in the risotto.

Does anyone else use ingredients and/or techniques from Japanese cooking (or Asian cooking in general) when cooking other cuisines? Have your eating habits changed since discovering the world of Japanese food?

Here are some examples of mine:

-My cooking chopsticks are so useful I can't imagine cooking anything without them. They are basicly extensions of my fingers.

-The oroshi gane (grater) is great (har-har) for grating hard cheeses. My favourite is one with holes (regular oroshi-gane don't have holes) that fits on top of a container, and is much nicer than a regular cheese grater that slips all over when grating above a bowl. It also has a suction cup on the bottom so it stays put. It's indispensable. (Is this kind of grater called an 'oroshiki'?)

-Panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) are wonderful and I almost always use them instead of regular breadcrumbs.

-I use tofu in everything (but I've been cooking with tofu since I was a vegetarian in high school, so it doesn't really count).

-I eat way more sweets here in Japan than ever. Back in Canada I never really liked cake, cookies, pastries or other sweets (except fruit and apple pie), but since coming here I realized that was simply because the sweets most widely available back home just aren't very good. Here the sweets, especially cake and pastries are so much yummier. Even the donuts are better! And let's not forget Pocky!

-I shop for groceries way more often, pretty much every day. And rather than do everything at one or two big stores I'll visit several shops- this Sunday (when I cooked Italian) I hit seven stores (helps that I shop by bike or on foot).

Sure there's more but I'll stop here...

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

I use my saibashi (long chopsticks) for almost everything, sort of like a spoon and tongs rolled into one.

I use the Japanese do-nabe (earthen ware cooking pot) for loads of non-Japaneses dishes from paella to risotto to fondue! :biggrin:

I seem to go through phases in my cooking, there was my Indian phase, then korean phase, then Italian phase, then Thai phase, and now I am in a Japanese phase, mostly out of necessity because it is what is the cheapest in the stores. Anyone who follows the dinner thread will notice my sudden turn to entirely Japanese! April is the month we always seem to go into debt! :blink:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I use my little metal ginger grater for nutmeg.

Second the use of panko, cooking chopsticks and donabe (most recently for a Kurdish lamb/eggplant/tomato/sumac stew).

The cassette-konro (the tabletop burners) are good for all kinds of service outside: curries, soups, beans, etc. on picnics and post-sports game meals

The small sesame seed holder/grinder is great for salads & topping off Korean dishes.

Bulldog Worcestershire sauce comes out for Bloody Marys, and the Kewpie Mayo for sandwiches and anything except mayo-based salads.

My husband uses our sukiyaki pan to make cornbread, and I'm tempted to get a takoyaki grill pan to do dual-purpose takoyaki & Thai kanom krok (or get the Thai pan to do both). My little bowls for nabe are good to serve nuts at a party, or a little bit of soup.

There's so much more...

Hm. Hard to say as it's been at least twenty-five years.

smallworld, it's interesting that you prefer Japanese sweets. The people I know in Canada revile Japanese sweets as, well, too sweet. I on the other hand revile all sweets.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Well Jinmyo, what I really meant was that I love the Japanese versions of western sweets. Everything is better here- chocolate, cake, cookies, pastries, donuts and more. They aren't as sickly sweet as those back home, and are usually made with higher quality ingredients.

One of the only things that's better back home is apple pie. Japanese just don't understand pie! And fruit too, but that's a whole other thread.

I do like traditional Japanese sweets too. Like you said some of them are really really sweet, but those ones are meant to be had with bitter matcha.

Well Jinmyo, what I really meant was that I love the Japanese versions of western sweets. Everything is better here- chocolate, cake, cookies, pastries, donuts and more. They aren't as sickly sweet as those back home, and are usually made with higher quality ingredients.

One of the only things that's better back home is apple pie. Japanese just don't understand pie! And fruit too, but that's a whole other thread.

I do like traditional Japanese sweets too. Like you said some of them are really really sweet, but those ones are meant to be had with bitter matcha.

Smallworld I agree completely with you! Japanese pies are the worst!

I used to think I liked American desserts until I moved to Japan, now when ever I go back to the US, I can't touch them! They seem so sickly sweet.

Start a thread on Japanese fruit.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Hmm, I've never thought of using my do-nabe for anything other than nabe or okayu. I'll have to try something new.

I just realized another change- I drink way less pop (I'm a former Diet Coke addict), mostly because it's too heavy to carry home from the store. Now I drink more healthy drinks like green tea, oolong tea etc. Except on weekends when we rent videos. For some reason I just can't watch a movie without a tall glass of icy cold Diet Coke and a giant bowl of popcorn. That's one habit that will NEVER change!

Also, I love oshibori (damp hand towels) and use them every time we eat something messy.

There are some Japanese habits that I'll never take up:

-I don't follow the drinking 'rules'. I have no problem with drinking alcohol at the same time as eating rice, or drinking alcohol with no food to go with it.

-My suri-bachi (sesame grinder) hasn't been used for years. When I need big amounts of ground sesame I just use my coffee grinder (well cleaned first, of course).

-I'll never be able to churn out a full 5 or 6 dish meal in a typical Japanese kitchen with about 50cm of counter space, two gas burners, a little oven toaster and a rice cooker. It seems physically impossible to me, yet Japanese housewives seem to have no problem.

-My suri-bachi (sesame grinder) hasn't been used for years. When I need big amounts of ground sesame I just use my coffee grinder (well cleaned first, of course).

-I'll never be able to churn out a full 5 or 6 dish meal in a typical Japanese kitchen with about 50cm of counter space, two gas burners, a little oven toaster and a rice cooker. It seems physically impossible to me, yet Japanese housewives seem to have no problem.

I love my suribachi and it is another Japanese utensil that gets use in non-Jpanese ways as well.

From Sout East Asian style curry paste to Italian/Spanish garlic and herb pastes.

Once before i had a coffee grinder I accidently bought coffee beans and then tried to "grind" them in my suribachi, it doesn't work! :blink:

The Japanese can get so many different dishes on the table because 4 of them are purchased at the depachika! :biggrin:

:blink:

Im going to have to agree with torakris, my suribachi kicks butt. I cook mostly Japanese food but have occaisionally used it to make several tahini concoctions and some desserts. It creates flawless puree anything and cleans in 8 seconds.

I have also used my tamagoyaki pan to make fritatta and enchiladas and once in a pinch made a steamed cake in an oshizushi mold (long, hazy story)

Im going to have to agree with torakris, my suribachi kicks butt. I cook mostly Japanese food but have occaisionally used it to make several tahini concoctions and some desserts.  It creates flawless puree anything and cleans in 8 seconds. 

Is this the bowl with the striated texture on the inside?

If so, I've only used this for yamaimo.

-I don't follow the drinking 'rules'. I have no problem with drinking alcohol at the same time as eating rice, or drinking alcohol with no food to go with it.

What are the drinking rules?

Im going to have to agree with torakris, my suribachi kicks butt. I cook mostly Japanese food but have occaisionally used it to make several tahini concoctions and some desserts.  It creates flawless puree anything and cleans in 8 seconds. 

Is this the bowl with the striated texture on the inside?

If so, I've only used this for yamaimo.

This is a suribachi:

http://importfood.com/various_mortar_pestles.html

couldn't live with out it! :biggrin:

What are the drinking rules?

Alcohol is always drunk with some kind of snack, never by itself. There are a huge range of drinking snacks, called tsumami, like dried strips of squid, kimchi etc. Salty and spicy stuff especially. I love all these snacks but sometimes I just want to enjoy a cold bottle of beer or nice glass of wine all by itself.

When the snacking becomes a meal and rice is served, alcohol should be replaced with tea. It's been explained to me that since sake is made from rice, it shouldn't be drunk while eating rice. Why this rule is extended to include all other alcohol is beyond me, but many people absolutely can't drink alcohol and eat rice at the same time! (Yet everyon makes an exception for sushi.)

Other drinking habits, like using cute little thimble-sized cups, or constantly refilling others drinks, can be either charming or annoying depending on the occasion.

A great beer can be ruined by constantly being poured into tiny glasses- the beer in the glass doesn't get a proper foam, and the beer in the bottle is jostled around and looses its carbonation. A wastefull habit, but since most Japanese beet is not that great anyway, I don't mind too much.

But I really do like the alcohol in Japan, not just the native sake, shochu, ume-shu etc, but imported stuff as well. Prices and selection are good- for example, champaign and sparkling wine is far cheaper here than in Canada, and the selection can be better too.

I love my suribachi and it is another Japanese utensil that gets use in non-Jpanese ways as well.

From Sout East Asian style curry paste to Italian/Spanish garlic and herb pastes.

Once before i had a coffee grinder I accidently bought coffee beans and then tried to "grind" them in my suribachi, it doesn't work! :blink:

The Japanese can get so many different dishes on the table because 4 of them are purchased at the depachika! :biggrin:

Well, I'd love to use my suri-bachi to mash spices and herbs for an Indonesian feast, but my husband can't stand South East Asian food.

That's one of the hardest things about being in Japan for me- I love eating and cooking this stuff, yet I can't cook it at home and when I eat it out it's always watered down for Japanese tastes. Even if I did find an authentic place, none of my friends can handle real spice so I'd have to go alone.

You know the Okinawan feast we're going to get together for? We'll have to include ramen and South East Asian food too. Think we can find a place that serves all three?

Those Italian/Spanish herb pastes sound intriguing- can you tell me more? Is it important that the herbs actually get crushed in the suri-bachi (as opposed to merely being pureed with a hand mixer)?

You know the Okinawan feast we're going to get together for? We'll have to include ramen and South East Asian food too. Think we can find a place that serves all three?

Those Italian/Spanish herb pastes sound intriguing- can you tell me more? Is it important that the herbs actually get crushed in the suri-bachi (as opposed to merely being pureed with a hand mixer)?

Smallworld, If it is spicy I will eat it, the spicier the better, name the place i will go with you. A combination of ramen, okinawan food and South East Asian? hhmmmmm..................

I prefer the taste of freshly pounded herbs, they taste more "lively" :biggrin:

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to report that I used my suribachi to make a herb oil (herb paste?), and it worked great! Less fuss than a hand-blender, with less waste and easier clean-up too.

Thanks for the tip!

Japan's greatest technological achievement ever - the otoshi buta (this is a wooden lid that fits into a pot or saucepan and pushes the food into the cooking liquid).

Truly (perhaps) main reason for pasty flour-thickened sauces in the West is excessive liquid due to the inability to pack raw ingredients! Have you seen recipes that call for inserting a small plate into the pot and weighing it down with pebbles? How primitive!

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

Japan's greatest technological achievement ever - the otoshi buta (this is a wooden lid that fits into a pot or saucepan and pushes the food into the cooking liquid). 

Truly (perhaps) main reason for pasty flour-thickened sauces in the West is excessive liquid due to the inability to pack raw ingredients!  Have you seen recipes that call for inserting a small plate into the pot and weighing it down with pebbles?  How primitive!

The otoshi buta is truely wonderful, I wonder why it hasn't caught on anywhere esle?

I use a metal one that is adjustable, it can fit the smallest pan into the biggest wok, it can also be used for steaming so it get double duty! :biggrin:

In Japan they also sell otoshi buta papers, these are pre-cut circles of a special kind of paper that not only are used to keep the food submerged but they also collect the oil and skum that collects at the top.