• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An American Grill-Mon. 4/21

Rosie

what Rock said.  :biggrin:

lou, i'm getting to it...k?

Lou, this is a very, very busy man. Dogs to meet. Dumpling lessons to give. Iron Chef reruns to review. I think you're expecting a lot from our guy Tommy. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

what Rock said.  :biggrin:

lou, i'm getting to it...k?

Lou, this is a very, very busy man. Dogs to meet. Dumpling lessons to give. Iron Chef reruns to review. I think you're expecting a lot from our guy Tommy. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Mea culpa, mea culpa :biggrin::cool::rolleyes:

Just before ordering I was deciding on a wine...a petite syrah on the list caught my eye as I tend to look towards selections that are new to me but Lou had actually stated that he thought the year and the quality of the choice may not be my best bet - an opinion that I value hearing and certainly respect. With that he suggested two others and I chose a Clos du Bois ('99???) blend. I will leave it to Lou to be more specific but I believe I recall it to be 50% cab.??? :

Clos du Bois Marlstone '96

78 % Cab Sav

10 % Merlot

6% Petit Verdot

5% Malbec

A fabulous wine. I have only 1 bottle left. Then it's on to the 98'

after a disasterous morning - who knew DMV had moved and the mall that has Fashion Bug in it(I was in the mood to buy clothes and spend the gift card my mother-in-law gave me for my birthday last august)had no power- I stopped in to American Grill a desperate woman. i didn't want to sit in the dining room - i just wanted to grab a magic hat and something to eat before i had to finish the 4 other errands i had on my list. lou was there sitting at the corner and- i find this totally amazing - he recognized me, even with newly shorn hair. the beer was cold the amuse was a wonderful blend of zucchini, olive oil and lovely chunks of parm. since i was cooking shrimp for dinner i just wanted something .... then i saw the words pear and blue cheese - works for me. over mixed field greens with pine nuts. and the vegetable strudel...i've had this before and it is one of the best things i have ever had. talking cheese with lou i mentioned that i love stinky cheese - bleu was my favorite since the time i was four - and he offered me a slice of a double cream blue that was so ...so....so.........close to orgasmic.

thanks to lou, too, i found out where DMV had moved to and now am the possesor of a truly horrid nj photo id lisence. though i must say it wasn't as bad as my passport picture.

thanks to all for helping my day get a bit brighter... i really felt wonderfully comfortable and the beer ain't bad either....though the choice of tv shows is a bit interesting.

enjoyed it lou - thanks for the hospitality

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Suzi,

It was nice seeing you again. Of course I remembered you, we spent 2 hours eating steak sandwiches together at my 1st egullet gathering. How long did it take you at the DMV. Now for my TV preferences, Blind Date is great!!! With lunches being a little quiet during summer it certainly cheers up my staff watching Blind Date. Glad you liked the double creamy blue cheese. I'm off to Citarella on Thursday to pick up more and catch some US Open golf in the city.

By the way, any suggestions from anyone would be appriciated. I need a TV and a decent bar. Food would be helpful also.

Lou

• 4 weeks later...

At the last minute, I called Chef Lou to get a Friday reservation. His response was quick and pointed: “get over here”, as if to say, “get over here you prick.” It’s all in the tone you see. :biggrin:

The American Grill is about 45 minutes from my home, but off we went. We arrived, greeted by a dapper-looking Chef Lou (does the guy actually *cook*?), and walked through a very good looking restaurant. It was more upscale than my jeans expected, and very tastefully decorated. We were impressed already.

As we were seated, and amuse of lightly fried zucchini hit the table, surrounded by a chunks of wonderful parm. A cheese course so early in the meal? I was happy. :smile:

Damn if I don’t forget what the apps were (this was about a month ago). I’ll edit this post if I remember. I can say, however, that this isn’t because they were forgettable. I just don’t remember. :wacko:

Entrees were a ribeye and soft shell crabs.

The ribeye came out a little too rare for mrs. Tommy. It was quickly brought back to the kitchen and returned with apologies…Lou brought it back, and when I busted his balls about “sorting this out”, he winked “hey, shit happens.” Good fun. The steak was tender and juicy, and served in a wonderful herbed au jus. On the plate were also two ratatouille types things. Well, one really, but the other side was a mushroom and potato (?) thing that was absolutely fabulous. In fact, I would have liked just one side of that. The dish had a dark intense flavor that went well with the steak.

The soft shell crabs were freakin huge. Lots of meat, which I appreciate. I asked Chef Lou where he got them, and he winked, “I got a good purveyor”. Good job I say. They were served on a bed of crispy potato strips, and in a bit of wine/butter sauce, as far as I could tell. mrs. tommy, who has a nose for greasy soft shells, detected no extra grease. we actually switched dishes in the middle of dinner, as i got tired of watching her pilfer food from my plate (and she got tired of cutting steak for me). Several halved cherry/grape tomatoes were also on the plate. I initially thought they were for color and were gratuitous. However, they served as a nice acidic foil to the dish. I was surprised and pleased.

We’re not dessert people, so we skipped that course. (no, wait, i think we actually had dessert. creme brulee maybe? aw hell, it was 60 meals ago. what can i say.) However, the kitchen sent out a plate of fresh fruit and 3 cheeses. I’m not sure what was on it, but one was some of the best tasting blues we’ve had. A glass of port served the dish well.

Wine-wise, I ordered a reasonably priced bottle of Amarone, as I’m a sucker for “jam.” A good value.

there were a few mullets in the house, and i didn't feel underdressed in my jeans. but hey, it's western jersey. :biggrin:

service was friendly, professional, and efficient.

I’m looking forward to lunch at the bar (which was *much* bigger than I had imagined) for a steak sandwich and Magic Hat. if the place was closer to home, i'd definitely make the trip more often. although, the Showplace is right down the block... :unsure:

I’m looking forward to lunch at the bar (which was *much* bigger than I had imagined) for a steak sandwich and Magic Hat.

Let me know when and I'll join you...I missed the egullet gig for that as well... :biggrin:

A.D.S.

Can I horn in on this lunch thing? I'm always up for a good lunch at the Grill and last time I went Lou was off (it was a Thursday). Had a chicken and andouille sausage dish which was excellent, nicely spiced-made you want to drink lots of Magic Hat, which I gladly did.

Lou, did you get my note? The woman who ran the bar did a great job.

Next week???

this week. friday. :biggrin:

Friday's good by me but I need to know by tomorrow night. Gotta order some extra things. Can we do between 1-2 cause if I need to go to Siberia down the block I gotta hit hard and bang back to work.

I've got singles!!

Maybe we could start a topic on corkage fees in burlesque parlors? Best bet would be to bring our own glasses.

Lou

Lou, did you get my note? The woman who ran the bar did a great job.

Sorry David,

I missed this post. Glad you like that dish. Tommy was in today with a bud and it made me revisit the last week. 56 days til opening day. Will let you k now about openings. I've already planned my cookouts in the parking lot for each game through October.

Lou

Tommy was in today with a bud and it made me revisit the last week. 56 days til opening day. Will let you k now about openings. I've already planned my cookouts in the parking lot for each game through October.

and a f*cking brilliant steak sandwich it was. and some nice red by the glass as well. :biggrin:

as far as "opening day", i have no idea what you guys are on about, as i am more a Rachel Ray fan, as Lou can surely attest to. :unsure:

Lou, what was that inexpensive red? i fergit, and i'd like to try to find it, even though it's merlot (our little secret).

Edited by tommy (log)

Tommy, the opening day in question is the opening of the NFL season. Did Lou count the early opening on Thursday Sept 4th, Jets vs. Redskins, or was he only interested in NY's real football team the Giants?

Has a lunch date been set? I'm hungry. :smile:

Lou, as for the game, any game is great, thanks again for thinking of me.

O.K. Get a count. I've taken off until Sat. I need to get a round of golf in but if you can plan this for late afternoon then it's all good. ( Anyone play golf by the way ? ) I'll actually be off for the day and can drink and be merry.

Maybe a side trip to Little Moscow?

If not, then the following Friday I'm actually maning the joint and any time is good.

Lou

I have dinner plans on the 18th and the 25th and could not eat a lunch like Lou serves and then go out to dinner. Could possibly stop by to say hello on the 18th. Can't on the 25th. After that I am away for a bit. Make your plans and I will try to get there.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE