• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rice Varieties

anil

I got so much valuable help from this community on my Thai fried rice, I thought I'd try again. I made a black rice pudding from a Thai cookbook the other night. It called for cooking the rice in coconut milk and then to bake it (the dish sitting in a larger dish of water. Everything looked good, but the rice wasn't fully cooked by the end. It was so dissappointing to have this beautiful dish and not be able to enjoy it. Should I have soaked the rice first before cooking it in the coconut milk? The recipe didn't call for this and as it was my first experience with this type of rice I didn't know what to do. HELP!!!! :shock:

Hi Hitchmeer

The black glutinous rice needs to be soaked at least 4 hours / overnight before baking / steaming it.

Black glutinous rice is also used in Malaysian cooking and is called "pulut hitam" (Malay) or "hak lor mai" (Cantonese).

Yes, bubur pulut hitam (black glutinous rice porridge) is a traditional Malaysian dessert. Some versions here add some dried longans to it. Here's a link to a recipe of bubur pulut hitam with dried longans. It's traditionally served hot. However, I like it cold from the fridge without the coconut cream topping.

Another traditional Malaysian dessert which uses black glutinous rice is "kuih koci pulut hitam". A mixture of white and black glutinous rice flours are used to form a dough with a filling of dessicated coconut cooked in palm sugar ("inti"). The dough is then topped with some coconut cream, wrapped in a banana leave and is steamed.

Here's a recipe for it from a Malaysian food magazine, Flavours (I haven't tried the recipe though)

Kuih Koci Pulut Hitam

(Makes 15-20 pieces)

Ingredients

Inti (palm sugar filling)

150g palm sugar ("gula Melaka")

1/2 cup water

1 pandan leave, knotted

175g grated fresh coconut, white only

Pinch of salt

1 tablespoon plain (all-purpose) flour

Dough balls

70g black gluntinous rice

130g glutinous rice flour

3/4 cup and 3 tablespoons thin coconut milk

Coconut cream topping

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup thick coconut milk

Banana leaves fpr wrapping, scaleded and cut into 14 x 15cm rectangles

Instructions

Filling

Place palm sugar, water and pandan leaf in a saucepan and cook until sugar dissolves. Strain syrup into a clean saucepan and add grated coconut and a pinch of salt. Continue cooking over a low fire until filling thickens. Stir in plain flour to bind filling. Set aside to cool.

Dough balls and coconut cream topping

Combine both types of glutinous rice flours in a bowl. In a small saucepan, combine thin coconut milk and salt, cook mixture over a low fire until the milk is warm. Do not let it boil. Pour warm milk into bowl of mixed glutinous rice flours and knead the mixture lightly to forma smooth pliable dough. Pinch off small pieces of dough (20g each). Roll the pieces of dough into smooth balls. Flatten the balls slightly and fill with 1 teaspoon of inti (coconut and palm sugar filling) and pinch dough over to encase the filling.

In a wide tray, mix thick coconut milk with salt and place the filled dough balls on it leaving some space between the balls. Steam for 15 minutes.

Place the cooked dough balls in the centre of a rectangle of banana leaf. Top with 1 teaspoon of the cooked coconut cream mixture from the tray. Bring the two sides of the banana leave to meet. Make small rolling folds where the edges of the banana leaf meets until it forms a tight roll. Fold the ends under. Arrange on a steamer and steam for 5 minutes.

• 12 years later...

This article about rice varieties appeared in our local newspaper this morning.  Toots and I have been wanting to try new varieties of rice and rice/grain combinations.  The article has given us the impetus to move ahead.  We're familiar with several varieties of brown rice, cultivated and true wild rice, jasmine and basmati, but are unfamiliar with most of the rice varieties mentioned in the article. 

I'm sure numerous eGers are familiar with many of these rice varieties ... anyone care to comment on their favorites and preferred methods of cooking, and maybe describe some of their characteristics?  Thanks so much ...

... Shel

Forbidden rice is black but purple when cooked. The name can actually can refer to any black rice from what I understand - and there are several. Bhutan red rice is supposed to be grown in the Himalayas (but there are other red rices too). It is red(dish-brown), partially hulled, and pinkish (well, it can be darker than 'pink' in my experience) and a bit sticky usually when cooked. Both are, to my mind, far more flavourful than white rice. And I like their grainy-like textures.

I love all rices. But, if I am eating white rice (which I try not to do too much), I try to use converted (because it is better for you than non-parboiled). The darker rices are, like 'brown' rice, better nutritionally for you. Supposedly Forbidden rice has more antioxidants in it than blueberries.

Characteristics? Not quite sure what you mean by that .. and not sure I can tell you. Buy a bit and try them, Shel.