• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

egullety dinner at Rutt's Hutt

tommy

Ok Nick.. it was nice to meet ALL of you!

I got a nasty cold.. go easy on me!

Where is a good place to get a nice bowl of chicken soup?

-NJ2FLA (not to be confused with NY2FLA in the picture) :biggrin:

Edited by NJ2FLA (log)

Nice pictures, Rachel.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Ok Nick.. it was nice to meet ALL of you! 

I got a nasty cold.. go easy on me!

Where is a good place to get a nice bowl of chicken soup?

-NJ2FLA (not to be confused with NY2FLA in the picture)  :biggrin:

Chicken soup? Homemade is best but otherwise I would go to Jack Cooper's in Edison.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

the ratio of men to women was very high that night, as is generally the case at rutt's hut. although, our group had way less ink and piercings than the rest of the customers (as far as i saw :hmmm: ). and from what i could tell, rail paul was the only guy in our group who showed up on a harley. he's a lot cooler than he looks.

and from what i could tell, rail paul was the only guy in our group who showed up on a harley.  he's a lot cooler than he looks.

forget that wilifred nonsence...all us Jersey girls think Paul is..well...dreamy!!! :wub::wub::wub:

edited to admit that I was not there... but I know the crowd, and the hero!

Edited by Kim WB (log)

forget that wilifred nonsence...all us Jersey girls think Paul is..well...dreamy!!! :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

jersey girls.

yeah..someone ought to write a song about us...'sxcuse me, I have to tease my hair..

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Drat i am destined to never eat there i believe, one of my cooks called in sick so I couldn't make it. The high ratio of tatoo's etc is due to the fact that wednesday night is bike night, even in winter, at Rutts, my GM go's there almost every week. (he saw you, did you see him?)

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

So, is there going to be an upcoming eGullet event at Finks? I think I've shown that I'll travel pretty much any distance to try anything within an hour or so that is eGullety food related... :biggrin:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

my GM go's there almost every week. (he saw you, did you see him?)

was he sitting in the back? or was he one of the guys with ink at the stand-up part. i'd probably recognize him if i saw him. but then again, out of context, maybe not...and i try not to make eye contact with people at Rutt's. :biggrin:

mark, we gotta get a group together at fink's and take the place over. not sure how that might be best arranged, however, as seating is limited. perhaps fink could throw out a suggestion if he has the time and feels comfortable? :hmmm:

my GM go's there almost every week. (he saw you, did you see him?)

was he sitting in the back? or was he one of the guys with ink at the stand-up part. i'd probably recognize him if i saw him. but then again, out of context, maybe not...and i try not to make eye contact with people at Rutt's. :biggrin:

mark, we gotta get a group together at fink's and take the place over. not sure how that might be best arranged, however, as seating is limited. perhaps fink could throw out a suggestion if he has the time and feels comfortable? :hmmm:

How 'bout we bring over a few 8 foot tables and set them up in Fink's parking lot? That way we don't need a seating chart or place cards.

Set a keg on one of them, Rosie's Turleys on another, and go at it. Note: this idea works better when it warms up a bit...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

How 'bout we bring over a few 8 foot tables and set them up in Fink's parking lot? That way we don't need a seating chart or place cards.

Set a keg on one of them, Rosie's Turleys on another, and go at it.  Note: this idea works better when it warms up a bit...

i've often considered having fink cater a party at my house. and maybe have you people over. but then i realize that i don't like all y'all that much, and i certainly don't trust yous's in my home.

maybe the parking lot is a better idea.

edited to add "y'all" and "yous's'" to pluralize.

Edited by tommy (log)

• 4 months later...

Stopped by Rutt's Hutt tonight.

Coupla rippers and a few cups of chili to go. As always, good nourishing food. Chili tasted more greasy than I recall. Yellow relish was outstanding, as always.

I was discouraged by the take out area. In daylight, the yellow tiles and formica stand-up tables looked almost pleasant. That noire apperance created by flourescent lighting, biker nuns, yellow tiles, headlights of cars down on 21 was gone. The counter guys looked sorta normal.

This was likely the first time I've been there in daylight in 25 years. It will be another 25 before that happens again as Rutt's is a night owl place. Redolent of stale beer and old cigarette smoke, rippers and folks nursing their last six ounce beer...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

paul, the "dining" room is certainly a dark and dank place to be in the daytime. i haven't been to the dining room during the day since my college days. and i always remember walking in from the sunlight and basically seeing nothing at all for the first 3 minutes, as it's so dark. and once your eyes get acclimated, you head to the head, and blinding sunlight shines through those fake ice block windows in there. always a blast, actually. :biggrin:

these days, as i'm very old and chubby, i just go to the stand out front, and enjoy the lovely view of the parking lot as i eat my rippers. and sometimes i'll just sit in the car, and wonder what it was like 60 years ago to be doing the same. actually, the AC wasn't working the last time i was there, and there were about 10 people sitting in their cars. :smile: