• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: useful gluten free sources and products in Ontario

I'll leave out all the drama and just ask for some direction to decent tasting gluten-free products in Ontario.  Ed is now gluten ...at least...intolerant.... if not outright unable to tolerate any of it.  We found out by accident and now I have to turn my mind (not in the best shape currently ...long story) to finding products he can buy and places to look. 

We live outside Peterborough and he can go to JoAnne's to start looking.  I've not been able to go much of anywhere for a while now and so he's on his own in this one.  We have a Main Ingredient store also but we haven't gone there much since our long-time acquaintances sold it.  

What good products are on the shelves in what stores?  He's not much of a food searcher.

As my health returns, I'll get back to cooking and baking...I hope...but in the interim, I'm eating almost all of the frozen foods I made some time ago ...and Ed is eating quite a lot of sandwiches on gluten free bread.  Promise is the brand he buys at Superstore or Sobeys.  

All replies gratefully received.  

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

By "products," do you mean items that require a minimal amount of prep and/or items that are ready to cook and eat? I'm afraid I can't help you there, but when you're back to cooking and baking I'd be glad to recommend some products that may well be available by you, or at least via mail order.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

At this point, it's ready to eat as is, or ready to heat and eat only.  I'm still not well enough to go further than that.  Thanks for the reply. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I don't often buy ready-to-eat meals but whenever I'm in a grocery store I'll keep an eye out.  Which chain grocery stores do you have access to?   Do you have a Farm Boy there?  It's the one we mainly shop at because it's a 5 minute walk but we go to others as well.

I've asked, via email, my SIL who lives in the Haliburton area for her recommendations.

She and her sister both suffer from celiac disease and could be a good source.

I'll post any of her recommendations.

• Thanks 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

15 hours ago, Darienne said:

What good products are on the shelves in what stores?

I don't live in Ontario and can't help with specific grocery stores and their products but I'll mention a couple of possibilities. M&M Foods has a gluten-free list. It's not my favourite store but they have some good stuff and it might be a way to stock your freezer with a few easy to prepare items. 

https://www.mmfoodmarket.com/categories/gluten-free

Also, services like Heart to Home will deliver frozen meals and also have a special diet menu. 

https://www.hearttohomemeals.ca/meals?collection=specialdiets

Not sure if either are a good option for you. 

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

I don't often buy ready-to-eat meals but whenever I'm in a grocery store I'll keep an eye out.  Which chain grocery stores do you have access to?   Do you have a Farm Boy there?  It's the one we mainly shop at because it's a 5 minute walk but we go to others as well.

No  Farm Boy, alas.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

45 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I don't live in Ontario and can't help with specific grocery stores and their products but I'll mention a couple of possibilities. M&M Foods has a gluten-free list. It's not my favourite store but they have some good stuff and it might be a way to stock your freezer with a few easy to prepare items. 

https://www.mmfoodmarket.com/categories/gluten-free

Also, services like Heart to Home will deliver frozen meals and also have a special diet menu. 

https://www.hearttohomemeals.ca/meals?collection=specialdiets

Not sure if either are a good option for you. 

Thanks for the reply.   I'm overwhelmed right this minute and not sure about buying M&M stuff.  We never have before but I'll send Ed in next trip to get a copy of their products if they have a printed version.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Ed shops at No Frills, FreshCo, and Superstore mainly.  We have Sobeys but Ed considers them too expensive and the only thing we get there are Poblanos.  We got Promise bread there before it was carried at Superstore.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

My SIL's recommendations for ready to eat are Annie's individual gluten free meals from the frozen food section.

She likes the burritos, mac and cheese with cauliflower and the mushroom risotto.

She's a fan of Promise for bread products and also likes desserts as well as their lemon, poppyseed and chocolate loaves.

Bob's Red Mill for their mixes.

They have access to a Foodland  and an Independent (Weston Loblaws) so a lot of these products are carried by Superstore and No Frills.

FreshCo is owned by Sobey's so they carry a lot of their products at a significant lower price.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

My SIL's recommendations for ready to eat are Annie's individual gluten free meals from the frozen food section.

Section of what store/s please?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Section of what store/s please?

Frozen Food aisle.

Weston Loblaw's stores. Superstore, No Frills....

FreshCo.

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

It looks like Annie's makes a lot of g-f entrees. They also offer two varieties of g-f pizza, although the website says one of them is currently unavailable. I haven't had or made either one, but Ms Alex is a big fan of their regular spinach pizza.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer