• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking in Stained Cookware

Shel_B

Badly stained cookware is often seen on cooking videos. Here's a pot used in a recent video from a well-known cook and food writer:

StainedCreuset.jpg.3a752f453e7753b0a058af0b1d7bebfc.jpg

I will admit to being ignorant about such things, but it seems to me that cooking in such a pot might have some drawbacks.  It's harder to see fond develop, maybe food will stick more easily, perhaps it will contribute to adding more and deeper staining, and it might affect heat transfer and overall cooking quality.  Could continually cooking in such a pot ultimately damage the cooking surface?  Is the surface already damaged?

Am I being overly concerned?  Are my concerns unfounded?  Essentially, I don't really care that much about how other people treat and use their cookware, and I somewhat like the patina that comes with age and use, but I am curious about the downside to treating and using cookware in such a manner. 

What are your thoughts on this?

... Shel

I'm no expert, but unless it is non-stick, I wouldn't worry about it. Non-stick cookware has a relatively short life and should not continue to be in use if it is scratched, chipped, etc.

Edited by Maison Rustique
typo (log)
  • Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

Porcelain will stain and discolor over time. Much of it can be removed with Bar Keeper's Friend, but it's the sort of thing I only do once every few years. Some manufacturers (notably Staub) use dark porcelain on the interior of their pans. It does take some getting used to in terms of judging browning, but I like the look and it looks less "dirty" over time (even though it's the same amount of crustified). 

• Like 2

Other than aesthetics, which do matter,  I have to strain to find a downside.

Pro kitchens have cookware that looks pretty bad.  I think Guy Fieri's people used to have dives buy a new set of pans prior to a visit.

I suppose things might cook a little differently in a darkened pan.  Like the effect of a shiny cookie pan vs a darkened one.

• Like 2

After using Le Creuset cookware for fifty years all I can say is that it doesn't stay pristine white, the way it looks on cooking shows. It definitely stains over time. Unlike seasoned cast iron, which can be handed down to the next generation, enamel coated cast iron gets pretty ugly after years of constant use. We have a couple of old darkened ones that are now dedicated for bread baking or marmalade.

Over the years I have bought cheaper brands than Le Creuset and find them adequate for many years use. A 5.5 qt. capacity Le Creuset does make a wonderful gift, though! Over the years I've found this size to be the most useful of all.

I don't really think that enamel coated cast iron that's dark or stained cooks any differently than perfect looking ones. Loaf pans and cookie sheets are another story. Dark cooks faster that light, but I  think that's  more related to the material than to darkness caused by use.

• Like 2

About 50 years ago. I read somewhere that Le Creuset could be cleaned using bleach. I was wary although the advice came from a very well respected food writer but precisely which I forget. Anyway, i finally plucked up the nerve to try it. Being doing it ever since. I'm not ging to say it comes up like an new, unused pan, but close.

Of course, you have to thoroughly rinse the pan afterwards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I just want someone to give me 5 Staubs in various sizes. And let me pick the colors. Is that too much to ask?

And Control Freak Home. And an ANOVA Precision Oven. And some silver lined copper. Or just some straight up silver pans. A set of silver pans in various sizes, please. An enormous Blue Star cook top with either the griddle or French top. An enormous hood that vents the cooktop and the pair of combi ovens that you've mounted in the wall. Makeup ventilation. Solar panels and a RO filter on all the water coming into the house. Carbonation on tap with an ice machine. A low speed rack/table to hold the Minipack vacuum machine. Low boys everywhere. Stainless everywhere. Finished concrete counters. Salmon leather magnetic strips for knife storage. Some new knives... someone get me a pair of rehandled, spa-d out Fujiwara Denka in 230 and 270mm please. And a Takeda Cleaver and some custom blades from Ben Kamon

IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?

• Haha 7

27 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

I just want

I'm with you all the way on that.

For some reason or other, when I read this I was reminded of a chef that I worked with. He always said, "I only work because I want to. I want to have a house to live in, I want to be able to buy food, and I want to have a car to drive. Yep, I only work because I want to."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, btbyrd said:

Porcelain will stain and discolor over time. Much of it can be removed with Bar Keeper's Friend,

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

About 50 years ago. I read somewhere that Le Creuset could be cleaned using bleach.

6 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

After using Le Creuset cookware for fifty years all I can say is that it doesn't stay pristine white, the way it looks on cooking shows. It definitely stains over time.

Here's an 15yo 5.5 quart Le Creuset pot that has not seen bleach, BKF, or had a particularly easy (nor a particularly difficult) life.  Just cleaned with Dawn dish detergent, hot water, and a simple scrubber sponge. 

sponge.jpg.826ea41f85d2e5790ffaeb6fdfd31237.jpg

It's clearly not pristine, but not even close to the condition of the pot shown in my original post, and the many other pots that I/we have seen. What am I doing wrong <LOL>?  

LeCreusetsmall2.jpg.4eff215a4ea3c40aa3cf88aba3c0c316.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

... Shel

so , this is your pot ?

the one on the bottom of your last post ?

the one that looks a bit ' blond ?'

the one at the very beginning , was a cooking show pot ?

not your own ?

are you trying to clean your pot ?

or cooking show pots ?

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Shel_B said:

Here's an 15yo 5.5 quart Le Creuset pot that has not seen bleach, BKF, or had a particularly easy (nor a particularly difficult) life.  Just cleaned with Dawn dish detergent, hot water, and a simple scrubber sponge. 

sponge.jpg.826ea41f85d2e5790ffaeb6fdfd31237.jpg

It's clearly not pristine, but not even close to the condition of the pot shown in my original post, and the many other pots that I/we have seen. What am I doing wrong <LOL>?  

LeCreusetsmall2.jpg.4eff215a4ea3c40aa3cf88aba3c0c316.jpg

Looks pretty good to me.  I'd be satisfied.

21 hours ago, Shel_B said:

Badly stained cookware is often seen on cooking videos. Here's a pot used in a recent video from a well-known cook and food writer:

StainedCreuset.jpg.3a752f453e7753b0a058af0b1d7bebfc.jpg

I will admit to being ignorant about such things, but it seems to me that cooking in such a pot might have some drawbacks.  It's harder to see fond develop, maybe food will stick more easily, perhaps it will contribute to adding more and deeper staining, and it might affect heat transfer and overall cooking quality.  Could continually cooking in such a pot ultimately damage the cooking surface?  Is the surface already damaged?

Am I being overly concerned?  Are my concerns unfounded?  Essentially, I don't really care that much about how other people treat and use their cookware, and I somewhat like the patina that comes with age and use, but I am curious about the downside to treating and using cookware in such a manner. 

What are your thoughts on this?

You are overly concerned, IMO.  Your point about staining making fond less visible is arguable, but consider Staub's black lining.  The rest are nonstarters.

These linings are enamel over frit.  You wouldn't get dentures if your teeth got stained, would you?

If the interior enamel was chipping out/off, that would be a different matter.

• Like 1