• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

From Sonoma County to San Francisco, Spring, 2024

weinoo

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Are your 'turnip cakes'made with turnip? In most of dim sum places here, what is sold as turnip cakes are actually daikon radish cakes. I've never seen a turnip in China.

I'd assume it's daikon radish.   Many times, they'll call it carrot cake in Singapore even though it has no carrots in it - so I wouldn't be surprised if they were radish rather than turnip.

• Like 1

Our last day in San Francisco dawned, and we hadn't yet been to our favorite breakfast place!  Into the car, and up the hill, Potrero Hill, that is. Where, on one of the steepest streets around, you'll find PLOW. We like it so much.  The griddle tends to be loaded, all the time...

IMG_1778(1).thumb.jpeg.12067795d3b9843e06653f5482e854d4.jpeg

And these guys rock...

IMG_1777(1).thumb.jpeg.fab336a9920f53e74c7c1adb3a46b2dc.jpeg

To go orders, to stay orders, almost everything cooked from scratch (they make their own sausage, and if you order fresh fruit, it is cut to order).  Just a great place.

For our final dinner, another classic - Zuni Cafe was the destination, and actually we walked from our AirBnB.

IMG_1786(1).thumb.jpeg.8ec252349d536c41a327c0122457076d.jpeg

As is our wont, drinks at the bar to start. And the menu...

IMG_1783(1).thumb.jpeg.f8154cdf938f08b20827a011f300b3ac.jpeg

I was unwilling to order the famous chicken, not wanting the leftovers to go to waste. But there were other Zuni classics to be had.

IMG_1787(1).thumb.jpeg.907c1ec700033852dfd37d8608493cb8.jpeg

Piccolo fritto; expertly fried veggies, with that lovely aioli.

IMG_1789(1).thumb.jpeg.bdd74315bf6fca5f4969cb41865575bd.jpeg

A very proper Caesar salad.

IMG_1790(1).thumb.jpeg.a7acd797d7eec0679ec8725d8885c01d.jpeg

And my fantastic loin of rabbit. With sautéed greens, carrots that taste like carrots, and rich mashed potatoes.  Significant Eater had (and loved) the gnocchi and  we shared the Pavlova for dessert.  Took an Uber back to the AirBnB - didn't feel like walking that stretch of Market St. again, though it does go right past the historic US Mint's San Francisco Facility(WIKI) We stopped to read about it on our way to Zuni...

image.png.1d8dd22a2e24c674a72263a61fc82023.png

Coincidentally, the following week Ruth Reichl's Substack La Briffe was a piece about her current trip to the Bay Area.  

I had no idea the current San Francisco Chronicle's restaurant critic is the granddaughter of Henry Chung, he of the famous Hunan Restaurant, a beloved place I often dined at, even back in the 80's.

MacKenzie is the granddaughter of Henry Chung, who opened Hunan Restaurant in 1974 which The New Yorker famously (and ridiculously) called “the best Chinese restaurant in the world.” Don’t get me wrong: I loved the barebones little Hunan and ate there at every possible opportunity. But Henry (who lived to be 98 ), wasn’t a chef; he was a former diplomat who had great taste memory and introduced the spicy food of his native Hunan to San Francisco.

MacKenzie kicked off her tenure by writing about Zuni Cafe, another San Francisco institution I have always loved. You can read her review here. And you can read what I wrote about the restaurant in 1989 below. (If you want to know more about the late Judy Rodgers, a chef who inspired so many of us, I wrote about her in this article about the young women chefs of California in the eighties.)

Soon, we'll head back north, to the Sonoma coast, valleys, and Healdsburg.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@weinoo

thinking about the price of the Zuni Chicken ( for two )

w an hour wait :

wonder if there is a ' table fee '   involved

the ZC chicken is famous .  if a significant % of diners ordered it

turnover , thus ' Bill Flow '  would suffer .

then again , few might be able to wait an hour 

wondering aromas , etc .

( F.D.:  slow day . waiting for Thurdays blizzard )

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

hinking about the price of the Zuni Chicken ( for two )

w an hour wait :

wonder if there is a ' table fee '   involved

the ZC chicken is famous .  if a significant % of diners ordered it

That chicken is really no more expensive than so many places doing a whole roast chicken for 2 (or more).  As a matter of fact, it's probably cheaper!

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I've had the book for a long time; while not making that roast chicken specifically, it was almost cutting edge back in its day, for the simple reason she was doing a long (2 or 3 day) dry brine.

And now I generally dry brine chicken, at least overnight.

• Like 4

Tasty Travails - My Blog

@weinoo

'''   it's probably cheaper!  ''

confirming my suspicion 

don't get out much

( by personal choice )

P.S.:  its my understanding Anonymous did read the book

and was impressed.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

Our last day in San Francisco dawned, and we hadn't yet been to our favorite breakfast place!  Into the car, and up the hill, Potrero Hill, that is. Where, on one of the steepest streets around, you'll find PLOW. We like it so much.  The griddle tends to be loaded, all the time...

IMG_1778(1).thumb.jpeg.12067795d3b9843e06653f5482e854d4.jpeg

And these guys rock...

IMG_1777(1).thumb.jpeg.fab336a9920f53e74c7c1adb3a46b2dc.jpeg

To go orders, to stay orders, almost everything cooked from scratch (they make their own sausage, and if you order fresh fruit, it is cut to order).  Just a great place.

For our final dinner, another classic - Zuni Cafe was the destination, and actually we walked from our AirBnB.

IMG_1786(1).thumb.jpeg.8ec252349d536c41a327c0122457076d.jpeg

As is our wont, drinks at the bar to start. And the menu...

IMG_1783(1).thumb.jpeg.f8154cdf938f08b20827a011f300b3ac.jpeg

I was unwilling to order the famous chicken, not wanting the leftovers to go to waste. But there were other Zuni classics to be had.

IMG_1787(1).thumb.jpeg.907c1ec700033852dfd37d8608493cb8.jpeg

Piccolo fritto; expertly fried veggies, with that lovely aioli.

IMG_1789(1).thumb.jpeg.bdd74315bf6fca5f4969cb41865575bd.jpeg

A very proper Caesar salad.

IMG_1790(1).thumb.jpeg.a7acd797d7eec0679ec8725d8885c01d.jpeg

And my fantastic loin of rabbit. With sautéed greens, carrots that taste like carrots, and rich mashed potatoes.  Significant Eater had (and loved) the gnocchi and  we shared the Pavlova for dessert.  Took an Uber back to the AirBnB - didn't feel like walking that stretch of Market St. again, though it does go right past the historic US Mint's San Francisco Facility(WIKI) We stopped to read about it on our way to Zuni...

image.png.1d8dd22a2e24c674a72263a61fc82023.png

Coincidentally, the following week Ruth Reichl's Substack La Briffe was a piece about her current trip to the Bay Area.  

I had no idea the current San Francisco Chronicle's restaurant critic is the granddaughter of Henry Chung, he of the famous Hunan Restaurant, a beloved place I often dined at, even back in the 80's.

Soon, we'll head back north, to the Sonoma coast, valleys, and Healdsburg.

When I read the menu, I thought "I bet he got the rabbit." I would have too.

• Like 2

When the original Hunan opened in SF in 1974 I was living a few blocks up the hill on the edge of Chinatown on Powell St.  This little hole in the wall was magical. We just couldn't believe how good it was.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

When the original Hunan opened in SF in 1974 I was living a few blocks up the hill on the edge of Chinatown on Powell St.  This little hole in the wall was magical. We just couldn't believe how good it was.

That one, and Brandy Ho's, were two of my favorites. Even the "newer" Hunan (on Sansome?) was excellent.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

That one, and Brandy Ho's, were two of my favorites. Even the "newer" Hunan (on Sansome?) was excellent.

No idea why I never went to Brandy Ho's. Did you ever eat at Barbara Tropp's China Moon? That was lovely. I went to camp with her when we were teenagers, and she was always kind and generous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

No idea why I never went to Brandy Ho's. Did you ever eat at Barbara Tropp's China Moon? That was lovely. I went to camp with her when we were teenagers, and she was always kind and generous.

I believe I ate there once, and it was very good! We also enjoyed many late night, perhaps inebriated meals, at the old Sam Wo's, along with Yuet Lee. And others no longer around, including Square One, Postrio (my first exposure to Wolfgang), Stars, 4th St. Grill, et al.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I was never a huge fan of downstairs at Chez P but always had great celebrations upstairs in the cafe. Lunch pizzas are great, and one of my favorite desserts in summer is the fruit sorbets. .Also the seating is so sweet. My most memorable downstairs dinner (not in a good way) was one where the soup course, served in a large graceful bowl, was about 1/8 inch deep. One of those occasions where you say "it wasn't very good and there wasn't enough of it."

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing your trip.  It was nice to spend part of a Saturday morning looking at your delicious food and lovely scenery.

As another owner of the Zuni Cafe Cookbook, I can report that the Zuni Cafe chicken is indeed very tasty, and it's not at all hard to make.  You just need to be able to find the right size chicken.  It used to be on regular rotation here, but I have not made it in a few years for whatever reason.  I need to pull that book out for a re-read.

• Like 4