• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dim Sum, San Francisco

Margaret Pilgrim

Occasionally when finishing errands we stop on Clement Street to pick up dim sum and chow mien.   

A pound and a half chow mien, one order (3 pieces) each spring rolls, shrimp dumplings and scallop dumplings = $15.50     Enough for two people for two days.

238575200_ScreenShot2022-08-30at10_18_04AM.png.1727b11b9720675557567f3d28ede9ed.png

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 3

eGullet member #80.

Nice access. Lots of the good stuff here but L.A. so spread out and I can't get around to the best anymore.  That said some of the frozen offerings  at 99 Ranch Market are quite nice. Dumplings and buns for the steamer, and scallion pancakes for the stovetop or toaster oven. Some of their cold offerings in the vegetarian case make nice counterpoints. I bought a sort of ham salad a few times before I realized it was vegetarian. Tasty. Oh and prepared (in house) japchae from Korean - lukewarm on buffet table - always disappeared immediately - kids and adults both snarfled.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Occasionally when finishing errands we stop on Clement Street to pick up dim sum and chow mien.   

A pound and a half chow mien, one order (3 pieces) each spring rolls, shrimp dumplings and scallop dumplings = $15.50     Enough for two people for two days.

238575200_ScreenShot2022-08-30at10_18_04AM.png.1727b11b9720675557567f3d28ede9ed.png

How are the har gao (the translucent shrimp dumplings) after sitting around?  Usually they have a shelf life of about 5 minutes, if that.

It's mostly chow mien leftover.    Husband will finish his spring rolls this afternoon as a wine snack.   The two dumplings, if still around, will be refrigerated and then lightly nuked, covered, tomorrow.    No quibbles.    Chow mien reheats beautifully.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

38 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Which place on Clement do you like best for your takeout? A million years ago I lived a couple of blocks from Clement. 

Good Luck on the north side, maybe around 8th Ave, and Wing Lee, south side off 6th Ave.    I used to go to Ho and Ho, on 6th, off Clement, but they closed and it has become a very good Viet take out.  

Today we went to Gourmet Dim Sum because the others are all closed on Tuesdays.    We love their scallop dumpling.   

The mushroom chow mien at Good Luck is the best.  

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

How are the har gao (the translucent shrimp dumplings) after sitting around?  Usually they have a shelf life of about 5 minutes, if that.

You can actually re-steam har gao (along with any steamed dim sum) the next day and it holds up quite nicely.

• Like 2