• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Newspaper Promoting a Spice

heidih

I needed a laugh. Los Angeles Times email just now promoting a spice blend. A dry chili crisp with citrus notes. Oh my.  https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2023-10-15/chili-crisp-california-heat-spice-blend-la-times-burlap-and-barrel#:~:text=California Heat was inspired by,that you can sprinkle everywhere.&text=How do you capture California,love to cook and eat.

I stock a dry chili crisp but not at that proce. I'd try a sample bag,

Burlap & Barrel seems to be big into partnerships these days.  See here for a few.  

Seems like a win-win as they get extra publicity from their collaborators hawking the stuff and it may drive additional purchases. Spices are a notoriously dirty business but the B&B  products, at least the ones I've tried, have been of very good quality so collaborators can feel pretty safe in partnering with them. 

I wouldn't place an order for the LA Times "California Heat" blend on its own but the ingredients (red Jalapeño, shallot, garlic, caramelized onion, smoked paprika, chipotle, Kashmiri chili, black pepper, black lime, salt, Timur pepper, lemongrass) sound appealing so I might consider adding it on to an order. 

Edited to add: 

2 hours ago, heidih said:

I stock a dry chili crisp

Can you say more about the brands of dry chili crisp you stock?

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 3

I've used two. Real Naturals and another whose name escapes me. But they do not have the other ingredients like the LA Times ones. I hd never seen them promote a product like that. The demise/desperation o newspapers? I use it almost daily - nice to sprinkle on so many things.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/15/2023 at 11:07 PM, heidih said:

I needed a laugh. Los Angeles Times email just now promoting a spice blend. A dry chili crisp with citrus notes. Oh my.  https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2023-10-15/chili-crisp-california-heat-spice-blend-la-times-burlap-and-barrel#:~:text=California Heat was inspired by,that you can sprinkle everywhere.&text=How do you capture California,love to cook and eat.

I stock a dry chili crisp but not at that proce. I'd try a sample bag,

Have you tried it?

Edit: My bad I read it wrong. hehe

Edited by PamelaWilliams (log)
  • Haha 1