• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restocking Dried Herbs and Spices

weinoo

IMG_9021.thumb.jpeg.09397396d9da6cc68b1a31aa170cff12.jpeg

Does anyone else replace dried herbs, spices, seeds on a regular basis.

Once a year (why not spring?) I go through my dried herbs and spices and just order all new stuff. Some, like the whole spices/seeds, I figure last a little longer than dried herbs.  But in general, I'm looking forward to a clean slate.  (I usually write the date I open the jars up on the back of the jar).

And it's not all Penzey's; I have a bunch of fresher Burlap & Barrel stuff, and my Spanish stuff comes from either Despaña, La Tienda, or somewhere similar. 

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I order in the Fall and Spring. Usually find myself. low on 12-15. I keep. my 4oz bags in. the  freezer. Re-stock every few months. Just. pulled out the bags last weekend and. started a cart. My lucky day. MountainRoseHerb is having a sale ending tonight. Easily found enough for. 25%off.

I keep the empty bags binder clipped together in the pantry so I know what is running low. 

We. go. through lots. of sesame seed. Ordered 4 pounds last. Fall. One bag left so we average 6 pounds a year. Just. added 2 pounds to my cart at 8$ a pound with the 25% off. Down to just. a. few bay leaves....

I. was gifted a house warming a dozen years ago of the Dean&Deluca 3 dozen tins. Some odd ones like mulling spice blend. Star anise, allspice...that still is ok for a stock pot. But does not compare to the new bag of allspice from the Fall order.

IMG_5827.jpeg

IMG_1803.jpeg

Screen Shot 2023-04-15 at 11.32.06 AM.png

• Like 2

I did order the larger bulk amounts for a while, but found myself not using them up before they became useless - ordering 8 oz. of bay leaves for us is insane! The only spice I now order in large quantities is black peppercorn...if I find myself in dire need of something, it's easily obtainable at Essex Market or SOS Chefs.

It's always a trade-off; getting lower prices but throwing stuff out vs. paying a little more per oz. and not wasting any.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I just ordered an ounce of bay leaf for the year. Only pounds each of sesame seed and chia for puddings we like. Everything else is 4oz flat-packed bags. Easily stored in the freezer door shelf. Re-usable jars are three sizes. Filled as needed so no waste. The few elder bay leaves from a year ago will go in stocks. 

I've made plenty of mistakes ordering bulk in the past, but now know what we will use without waste. 

Try to take a walk over the bridge one day, there’s a middle eastern spice shop called Malko Brothers. Directly across Atlantic Avenue from Sahadis. 

Three brothers run it, they’re between 70-90 years old, probably thé three nicest men in all Brooklyn. They were born in Syria but the family traces its roots to turkey. They grew up speaking Aramaic. I have some real loyalty to these guys and stepping into the shop is to be instantly transported to another place and time. 

You just won’t get that mail order from Penzeys. 

ps- everything is bulk. They’ll sell you as much or as little as you want. If you’re looking for something they don’t carry you can probably just cross the street to Sahadis and pick it up there

Edited by Rickbern (log)
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Rickbern said:

Try to take a walk over the bridge one day, there’s a middle eastern spice shop called Malko Brothers. Directly across Atlantic Avenue from Sahadis. 

I won't be walking, but I'll check it out when I head over to Long Island Bar - thanks!

Tasty Travails - My Blog