• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using dried/dehydrated foodstuffs as spice

TdeV

I'm not even sure how to phrase an internet or eGullet search.

Last year I dehydrated leek sprouts. Ground and sprinkled on top of mashed potatoes, these provided a very subtle, short-lived flavour. Any idea where I could investigate more about ground fruits, vegetables, etc.?

When slicing okra for dehydration last year, I didn't discard the top of the pod. Now, in stew, the tops of the pods are chewy, no matter how long the pot cooks. I'm thinking these tops could be ground, but then, what does one do with ground okra?

Here is another potential resource. 

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm not sure about vegetables, but dried pork or fish or shrimp are routinely used like spices in China. Known as 肉松 (ròu sōng) pork floss in the porcine version, 鱼松 (yú sōng) if fish and 虾皮 (xiā pí) if shrimp. Available everywhere round here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Do you think it would work best with veg that are less fibrous (mushrooms are an excellent example) since the cellulose (or whatever the fibers are comprised of) is flavorless and would dilute the overall flavor?

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I mix pulverised aromatic mushroom(s) and salt flakes. Use this as a condiment (especially nice with steak/meat and eggs). I also use seaweed powder/flakes in the same way (not meat).

In Namibia I saw biltong "dust" (very fine and dry ground biltong) in the supermarket. Staff behind biltong counter told me it's a condiment for many savoury dishes. Sprinkle on potatoes, pizzas, eggs, pastas, soups, salads etc. I would also add it to a home-made spicy paste.

Maybe you could use ground okra to thicken soups or sauces?

• Like 1

I have caper dust that a friend gave me. And I often pulverize dried mushrooms. I think I have a couple of books on dehydrating foods. I'll see if I can find them and if they might have anything in them about this. Be patient, I have a lot on my plate these days with a husband with dementia.

Deb

Liberty, MO

19 hours ago, BonVivant said:

In Namibia I saw biltong "dust" (very fine and dry ground biltong) in the supermarket. Staff behind biltong counter told me it's a condiment for many savoury dishes. Sprinkle on potatoes, pizzas, eggs, pastas, soups, salads etc. I would also add it to a home-made spicy paste.

Wow.  I have a lot of biltong in my fridge drawer, I bet it's pretty dry by now.  I going to powder some up for dust.

Best result in powdered dehydrated veg for me is celery.  It gives the most bang for the buck for me. 

Most disappointing is chives, no flavor, just green flecks.

Carrot powder is really good in salsas and gravies for a background sweet.

Cherry tomatoes that are getting wrinkly/forgotten are also something I've dehy'd and powdered for use.  I can't do backyard tomatoes here with any success so it's not common I have unused tomatoes since I buy them.  But they do make a great seasoning when mixed with dehy'd onions/garlic.  Tomato powder likes to clump so it has to be mixed with something to avoid clumping.

I made strawberry tarts for Easter and kept the top bits that are culled for slicing.  I dehydrated those and plan on powdering them for a sweetener use.

Mushroom powder is always amazing but damn, it takes a lot of mushrooms to get a usable amount.  I just buy commercial powder instead of trying to do homemade.