• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Drinks

guajolote

great thread, brings back great.. er, or maybe not so great memories :blink:

Mind Eraser - great name for a drink, and the Malt Liquor + Cold Duck?! ewwwGOD. Thunderbird, had a bad one on that. Lordy but I had bad taste in booze. Also atrocious IMO, anything mixed with Coke or Pepsi. real stinkers. oh yeah, did grape koolaid and everclear. Thankfully, I couldn't drink enough of it to matter, it was so nasty.

I've gotten sick on tequila, beer, vodka, whiskey. And, I've returned to all of them happily.. but whiskey. most brown alcohols, whiskey, scotch, nope. just don't like 'em.

Born Free, Now Expensive

I think I've mentioned somewhere that in my late teens my parents gave me "drinking lessons", so that their daughter wouldn't grow up ordering rum and cokes. :biggrin:

From How we ate growing up, here's part of maggiethecat's post:

When did you get that first sip of wine?

Maybe fourteen?  My father did it deliberately as a learning, growing experience.  I also had what we still laughingly refer to as "Drinking Lessons."  After 16, I was included in the Cocktail Hour and taught to drink.  "No daughter of ours is ever going to order a rum and coke or a zombie!"  So by my late teens I could drink a scotch and soda, a martini, a Dubonnet on the rocks or one of my father's famous Old Fashioneds.  I still drink like a 60's Waspy businessman.

I'd love to learn more about this.

For you, Rachel, anything.

Backstory. We were solid middle class with (fairly valid) pretentions. My parents believed then, as now, in the end of a day being a time of rest, wit and celebration. My father kept his tie on when he returned from work, and my mother always slipped into something sexier than her daytime garb. Makeup and perfume. (BTW, when my cousin Kim caught them in a darn steamy embrace last March, she rolled her eyes. "Auntie Marilyn and Uncle Ian. The impossible mark beside which other relationships are judged!")

Cocktail hour was as important as a canonical hour in a monastery. Work was done, dinner simmered. The younger kids got a bowl of chips and were allowed to watch TV. Downstairs.

I believe that I had, somehow, mentioned that a girlfriend had drunk a rum and coke and liked it. From that day on, I was not eating chips and watching Roger Moore in "Ivanhoe," a Brit TV series that might have been his first job.

I was upstairs with the parents and had to discuss politics, literature and music. And learn how to drink.

They started slowly, with drinks my grandmothers liked. Sherry and Dubonnet. In small quantities. But I was getting the idea that a glass of sherry could make me more forthcoming, wittier and prettier.

A short move to Old Fashioneds. A drink I still adore, and which my father makes very well. Too bad: Bourbon was almost unknown in Canada at that time and he used rye. CC or Crown Royal.

I graduated to Scotch, and I flunked for a week or so. Yuck! You want to drink something that smells like wet dog and tastes like dirt? Shudder. But with lashings of soda water, I gradually came to like the taste. To this day, my favorite drink is : Three (no more) ice cubes. Scotch and water in equal quantities. Kingsley Amis says that this proportion scotch to water is the most effective drug delivery system.

Then the test. After being introduced to gin and tonic, a superior drink, I was deemed ready for martinis. Daddy made a very dry Beefeater martini with a twist. I remember thinking: "People would spend money and time on something that smells and tastes like nail polish remover?"

But eventually, I was seduced and Saw the Light. My second favorite drink.

This was the good old days, and suppliers looking for my father's company's business would send us holiday baskets. Packed with wines that would make even Steve Plotnicki bend the knee. Those Petrus and Chambertains and Lafittes were cheerfully served up with Sunday dinner. I drank better wine than I ever will again. When I was seventeen.

Note: My parents never served me more than one of these cocktails a day. And though a Margarita or Dacqeri have their powers to charm, I am still a conservative drinker.

Then I went away to college and for the next few years enjoyed the tipple of every Montreal student of my day. A pitcher of Molson Ex.

No Zombies. No Mudslides . No rums and coke. Another parental duty dispatched.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Slippery Nipples, many of which were collegially consumed after the successful consummation of a particularly tortuous merger of clashing corporate cultures. Buttershots and something else that was never revealed to me.

Made me forget to shave one side of my face the next morning.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Slippery Nipples, many of which were collegially consumed after the successful consummation of a particularly tortuous merger of clashing corporate cultures. Buttershots and something else that was never revealed to me.

Obviously, you needed my parents' drinking lessons.

No butterscotch/alcohol combos. Ever! Well, not out of a glass.

(And may I mention, Slippery Nipples is in the top five list for most offensive drink names. I am shocked and appalled! :biggrin: )

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

(And may I mention, Slippery Nipples is in the top five list for most offensive drink names.  I am shocked and appalled! :biggrin: )

1). It is an exceedingly enjoyable set of syllables, eminently suitable for the inevitable inebriated slur.

2). The female members of the contingent actually seemed to enjoy enunciating the name more than the men, who, up to a point, were rather sheepish about it.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

1). It is an exceedingly enjoyable set of syllables, eminently suitable for the inevitable inebriated slur.

2). The female members of the contingent actually seemed to enjoy enunciating the name more than the men, who, up to a point, were rather sheepish about it.

To :

1) Absolutely. And funny.

2)Chicks who make a habit of imbibing sweet drinks are on the slippery slope. Need drinking lessons.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Chicks who make a habit of imbibing  sweet drinks are on the slippery slope.  Need drinking lessons.

Men, too.

We all -- men and women, and we were all old enough to know better, but it had been a very rough few months, and we needed to blow off some steam -- kind of walked around looking at nothing but our shoes for a couple of days. Figuratively, anyway.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Chicks who make a habit of imbibing  sweet drinks are on the slippery slope.  Need drinking lessons.

Men, too.

We all -- men and women, and we were all old enough to know better, but it had been a very rough few months, and we needed to blow off some steam -- kind of walked around looking at nothing but our shoes for a couple of days. Figuratively, anyway.

Philosophy and stress-relief aside, did Slippery Nipples make it as a cocktail?

Nevermind. Your posts provide the answer.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

2)Chicks who make a habit of imbibing  sweet drinks are on the slippery slope.  Need drinking lessons.

I agree!

I never got drinking lessons. I had to learn the hard way. My three favorites now are:

1. Tanqueray martini with olives

2. Scotch and water in equal measures

3. Tanqueray and tonic with lemon (summertime only)

It took me until 30 to like the taste of scotch.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Mind Erasers.  Add these to the "outgrown" list.  A pint glass filled with 2 shots vodka, 2 shot Kahlua, and the rest soda.  4 straws.  Not sure about those booze ratios, but sure about the 4 straws.  Drink as fast as you can.

Oh yes! I had forgotten all about those. :blink:

did anyone mention the brain aneurysm yet? quite lovely.

i remember visiting a friend in college. we, of course, were looking to jumpstart our buzz before going out, and on an *extremely* limited budget. we somehow got a hold of a bottle of grain. now even we were smart enough to know that we had to mix it with something. so we stole a big package of red-flavored :blink: juice mix from a kitchen. now, of course, we needed something in which to mix it. so we stole a bucket from the janitor's close (i shit you not). now, of course, we needed something to mix it *with*. rather than look much further/farther, and already salivating now that the power stuff was in the bucket which was in the shower and being filled by the nozzle, i had no choice but to plunge my arm in, elbow deep, to mix the stuff up.

it was disgusting. and my arm was pink for 4 days.

it was disgusting.  and my arm was pink for 4 days.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Okay, I can't believe that a) I know this and b) I'm admitting it here, but having dated a bartender is my excuse.

A Slippery Nipple is equal parts Sambuca and Bailey's Irish Cream and is disgusting.

A Buttery Nipple substitutes Butterscotch Schnappes for the Sambuca and is also disgusting.

I believe that most requests for the former actually result in the latter.

My impression from watching the sort of person who orders drinks like these is that the perceived "naughtiness" of the name is part of the appeal. Like a "Sloe Screw" or a "Sex on the Beach," they seem to the drinker to lend them a certain panache, when really all they do is point out the amateurs (sorry Dave; I know you had mitigating circumstances; these comments do not apply to you).

Strip-N-Go-Nakeds

We called this "skip-n-go-naked" and always consumed it in the context of a "biology field trip."

6 cans frozen pink lemonade

1 bottle Everclear

1 half-gallon Tequila

12 bottles beer (typically cheap-ass Olympia...this was in pre-microbrew era)

mix in large stockpot

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

I think I've mentioned somewhere that in my late teens my parents gave me "drinking lessons", so that their daughter wouldn't grow up ordering rum and cokes. :biggrin:

From How we ate growing up, here's part of maggiethecat's post:

When did you get that first sip of wine?

Maybe fourteen?  My father did it deliberately as a learning, growing experience.  I also had what we still laughingly refer to as "Drinking Lessons."  After 16, I was included in the Cocktail Hour and taught to drink.  "No daughter of ours is ever going to order a rum and coke or a zombie!"  So by my late teens I could drink a scotch and soda, a martini, a Dubonnet on the rocks or one of my father's famous Old Fashioneds.  I still drink like a 60's Waspy businessman.

I'd love to learn more about this.

For you, Rachel, anything.

See long post in the middle of Page 2

Thank you. Quite fascinating, you may want to copy that into your Bio.

Just looked at one recipe. Er, Creamy Thighs. Again, all sweet and nasty. Blechhhhh!

Hmmmm. "Sweet and nasty." The third eGullet cocktail.

Or maybe a new sig line.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

If Zeb A were checking this thread, he may be willing to post about his fraternity's "Anal Chugs."  I'll stop there.

Well, first off, this wasn't done by my fraternity.

I first witnessed the anal chug at the wedding of a fraternity brother who had also invited high school friends. We were drinking too much at a very nice NJ country club. The college friends were standing on the deck, dipping Copenhagen, and spitting onto the green below. The high school friends were engaged in the anal chug.

Basically, one guy lies on the ground on his back with mouth open.

Another guy opens a cold beverage.

The third guy drops his pants and pulls up shirt slightly.

The beer (or other beverage) is poured over the small of the back so that it drips through the butt crack and pours into the waiting man's mouth.

As gross as this may sound, a year after my first encounter with this phenomenon, I saw something even more foul . . .

Anal chug with egg nog.

"Crack Shots" have always been a rush week deal or used as collateral for betting. I've never heard of anyone lining up to do it voluntarily.

If you've been served a

Crack Shot

Cement Mixer

3 Wise men

Mat Shot

Scooby Snack

etc

This is not a 'good" thing - this is a "hey, I justed turned 21" thing

Hmmm. The Slippery Slope.  Next exclusive eGullet cocktail?

I like it. Can we have a contest?

3 oz. Knob Creek Bourbon

1 oz. Ginger Beer

Shake and pour over ice in a rocks glass. Fill with Bitter Lemon.

Now THAT'S a Slippery Slope to slide down... :cool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Hmmm. The Slippery Slope.  Next exclusive eGullet cocktail?

I like it. Can we have a contest?

3 oz. Knob Creek Bourbon

1 oz. Ginger Beer

Shake and pour over ice in a rocks glass. Fill with Bitter Lemon.

Now THAT'S a Slippery Slope to slide down... :cool:

That actually sounds pretty good, but I don't think it would be a good idea to shake the ginger beer in a closed container. :unsure: Perhaps just pour over ice and stir?

That actually sounds pretty good, but I don't think it would be a good idea to shake the ginger beer in a closed container. :unsure: Perhaps just pour over ice and stir?

The ginger beer I'm referring to is the Jamaican version which is more like a thick ginger juice, not a carbonated beverage. It's made by steeping shredded ginger in boiling water, squeezing through cheesecloth and then sweetening and thinning it with simple syrup. I cheat and buy it at the local Jamaican Jerk Hut. But if my cocktails are a success (doing a dry run of several ginger beer concoctions with the day bartender tomorrow) I'll have to see if I can get the kitchen to make it for me. Some of the other possibilities are Lemon/Ginger Cosmopolitans with Absolut Citron, Ginger Sidecars, Vanilla Cream Royales made of sparkling wine with a splash of Ginger Beer and a splash of Licor Cuarenta y Tres, Strawberry Ginger Martinis with a splash of ginger beer and Fragolino di Nemi Wild Strawberry liqueur, etc.

I'll report back on which ones were a success...Oh, and of course I'll be test driving the Slippery Slope :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol