• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheap homogenizer

paulraphael

Has anyone heard of the Dynamic MiniPro? 

https://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=60812

It looks a lot like the smaller Bamix (like what I've got). But it has interchangeable shafts. This version has a rotor/stator homogenizer. The standard version has a regular immersion circulator shafts, with interchangeable blades that are suspiciously similar to Bamix blades (but not identical ... they attach with a set screw). 

This looks like a good company that has lousy distribution in the US. Made in France. 

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

I've been looking at the DMX 160 lately, but I haven't found a Norwegian source for the homogenizer attachment yet. I'd also like to see some user reviews, because there's not a lot of info to be found, and with a couple of extra accessories, it's not exactly cheap either.

7 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Has anyone heard of the Dynamic MiniPro? 

https://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=60812

It looks a lot like the smaller Bamix (like what I've got). But it has interchangeable shafts. This version has a rotor/stator homogenizer. The standard version has a regular immersion circulator shafts, with interchangeable blades that are suspiciously similar to Bamix blades (but not identical ... they attach with a set screw). 

This looks like a good company that has lousy distribution in the US. Made in France. 

If I didn't already have a perfectly lovely homogenizer I'd try it.  Take one for the team.  Report back.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

28 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

If I didn't already have a perfectly lovely homogenizer I'd try it.  Take one for the team.  Report back.

Jo, based on your experience, is there anything real that justifies the usual price difference between stick blenders and similar sized homogenizers? The difference seems to be close to 10X.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulraphael said:

Jo, based on your experience, is there anything real that justifies the usual price difference between stick blenders and similar sized homogenizers? The difference seems to be close to 10X.

Apples and oranges, I believe.

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Apples and oranges, I believe.

What I mean is, is there anything fundamental to the motor or the machining requirements that would explain such a huge price gap, or does it have to do more with economies of scale, different markets, etc., or does it have to do with technical requirements that may not be relevant to a kitchen? That kind of thing.

Not long ago the cheapest immersion circulator you could get was an $1100 Poly Science lab model. You can now get models for $400 that are designed to hold up better in a steamy commercial kitchen environment, and ones for under $200 that do anything a home cook could want. So that original high price for the lab gizmo did not seem tied to something fundamental to the task. 

I'm wondering if homogenizers are similar. If so, there's a chance this ~$300 model is a great find. If not, it might just be a slightly glorified stick blender.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

What I mean is, is there anything fundamental to the motor or the machining requirements that would explain such a huge price gap, or does it have to do more with economies of scale, different markets, etc., or does it have to do with technical requirements that may not be relevant to a kitchen? That kind of thing.

Not long ago the cheapest immersion circulator you could get was an $1100 Poly Science lab model. You can now get models for $400 that are designed to hold up better in a steamy commercial kitchen environment, and ones for under $200 that do anything a home cook could want. So that original high price for the lab gizmo did not seem tied to something fundamental to the task. 

I'm wondering if homogenizers are similar. If so, there's a chance this ~$300 model is a great find. If not, it might just be a slightly glorified stick blender.

It's not so much the motor, though I'm sure there can be differences there, but the rotor-stator probes themselves which need to be machined to very precise tolerances to maintain the very small space between the spinning rotor and the  stationary element.  It's also their weak point as fibrous material can get stuck in those narrow clearances. None of the probes I used in laboratories came apart for cleaning.  Once something got stuck, they were toast.   Very expensive toast!

Ooops! Sorry for the misinformation.  @JoNorvelleWalker has corrected me!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

8 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

My guess it would be fine for ice cream and orgeat.

5 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

It's not so much the motor, though I'm sure there can be differences there, but the rotor-stator probes themselves which need to be machined to very precise tolerances to maintain the very small space between the spinning rotor and the  stationary element.  It's also their weak point as fibrous material can get stuck in those narrow clearances. None of the probes I used in laboratories came apart for cleaning.  Once something got stuck, they were toast.   Very expensive toast!

The ones Kerry and I have are designed for laboratory use and they come apart for cleaning.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The ones Kerry and I have are designed for laboratory use and they come apart for cleaning.

Does the BioSpec sound like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf-0JBx_uoY

The main appeal of the Dynamic MiniPro for me, besides the price, is that it can perform other tasks than just homogenizing, but the motor sound in the above video makes me quite concerned about the build quality. Or maybe this is perfectly normal for rotor-stators at low rpm? There are a few concerning reviews on Amazon citing problems related to lack of power and overheating as well though, and I haven't found a definitive answer to the maximum continous runtime the motor can handle.

1 hour ago, sverreef said:

Does the BioSpec sound like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf-0JBx_uoY

The main appeal of the Dynamic MiniPro for me, besides the price, is that it can perform other tasks than just homogenizing, but the motor sound in the above video makes me quite concerned about the build quality. Or maybe this is perfectly normal for rotor-stators at low rpm? There are a few concerning reviews on Amazon citing problems related to lack of power and overheating as well though, and I haven't found a definitive answer to the maximum continous runtime the motor can handle.

What's important for an homogenizer is the linear velocity, not the RPM.  For a given RPM the larger the diameter of the head, the higher the linear velocity.  Diameter of the head should be sized to the volume of material to be homogenized.

My BioSpec 1285 is powered by Bamix, and the unit seems well built.  Continuous operating time is listed as 5 minutes.  I suspect a $300 homogenizer is not an $800 homogenizer, and an $800 homogenizer is not a $20,000 homogenizer.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I suspect a $300 homogenizer is not an $800 homogenizer, and an $800 homogenizer is not a $20,000 homogenizer.

Last time I used eGullet to rationalize a kitchen tool buying decision, I ended up with a Henkelman chamber vacuum sealer more than 3 times my original budget. A $20,000 homogenizer will most definitely not happen though... 😬

• Like 2
  • Haha 1