• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Robenco15

Robenco15

1 hour ago, Chris Hennes said:

Obviously, this will be a week of New York-style pizza at my house. The first major correction I'm making to the Modernist recipe is simply to use less dough. They call for 400g for a 14" pizza, but my problematic earlier pizzas seemed to have too much crust (at least, as compared to Joe's), so I dialed way back, to 300g, for the same size pizza. I left all other variables the same, to the extent possible, though I think another hour at room temp (this is one-day cold-proofed dough) would have been beneficial, and is probably more like what I did before. Still, this is moving in the right direction.

DSC_2927.jpg

ETA: Attempt 1, Attempt 2, Attempt 3, Attempt 4

How are you cooking it? Koda 16? Preheat level and time? Doing the low flame thing? 

How about opening the skin? Top of dough ball becomes bottom of pizza? This video is helpful - 

I didn’t find the 400g dough ball to be a problem, but definitely something worth looking at. 

Enjoy this week!

Robenco15

Robenco15

59 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

Obviously, this will be a week of New York-style pizza at my house. The first major correction I'm making to the Modernist recipe is simply to use less dough. They call for 400g for a 14" pizza, but my problematic earlier pizzas seemed to have too much crust (at least, as compared to Joe's), so I dialed way back, to 300g, for the same size pizza. I left all other variables the same, to the extent possible, though I think another hour at room temp (this is one-day cold-proofed dough) would have been beneficial, and is probably more like what I did before. Still, this is moving in the right direction.

DSC_2927.jpg

ETA: Attempt 1, Attempt 2, Attempt 3, Attempt 4

How are you cooking it? Koda 16? Preheat level and time? Doing the low flame thing? 

How about opening the dough ball? Top of dough ball becomes bottom of pizza? This video is helpful - 

I didn’t find the 400g dough ball to be a problem, but definitely something worth looking at. 

Enjoy this week!