• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Production Times

DJ Silverchild

With a large capacity tempering machine from Selmi, a mold that holds 4 chocolate bars, and a cooling cabinet that can hold 32 molds, could one person make 1000 bars in a day, which is 250 molds? Would a depositor head speed things up? 

They'd have to fill, chill, and knock out 250 molds and that seems impossible for one 8 hour shift. I'm assuming we will need two people but would like to hear from some experts.

Also, how long does it take to clean out one of those machines if you want to switch chocolates, say from dark to white?

We are targeting a Selmi EX Plus with a 60KG capacity.

How large are the bars?  You can calibrate the machine to dispense X grams at once per press of the foot pedal.  Of course a depositor head would be faster since its one step not four, but check the available configurations before you get too excited.  Tomric or Selmi or both have video showing the cleaning process.  I'd guess it takes and hour or so, depending on your method of making sure everything is completely dry before re-assembly.

Solid bars should go pretty quickly, idk, can you fill one mold a minute?

5 hours ago, DJ Silverchild said:

Agreed but I need to explain how long it will take without that system to justify the purchase.

Can’t you extrapolate based on your current production metrics?