• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

@kayb – the oysters have me drooling.  One of the things I’ve always regretted missing on our NOLA trip was those Acme oysters. 

@weinoo – I also saw that Japanese fried chicken on ATK.  I’ve saved the recipe and, seeing yours, I know I need to dig it out of the pile!

@Duvel – I love seeing your son dig into all the different foods that you serve.  It reminds me of my now 37-year-old daughter when we used to take her to our favorite Chinese restaurant.   She was only about a year and a half old when we started going.  She loved it all!  The cooks got to know her and would send out little dishes of mystery food and crowd around the kitchen door window to watch her eat it.  One waiter said that when their kids would come eat at the restaurant they would always want hamburgers or chicken nuggets, so they loved seeing my little blonde-haired baby eating their food!  

@liamsaunt – those dinner rolls are just lovely.  I can almost taste and smell them!

@dcarch – what an absolutely gorgeous lamb chop platter that was.          

@Tropicalsenior – I agree with you – I prefer to make my hard cooked eggs in the IP.  For some reason, they turn out more consistent and easier to peel that way. 

We drove up to MD to pick crabs on Saturday for an early Mother’s Day treat for me.  Our usual place was out of blue crabs (they said they still had snow crab  Seriously?  If you are in MD and call yourself a “Crab House” and you are out of blue crabs, you need to close your doors for the day).  We ended up on Cobb Island at a place that we’d never been but turned out to have much better food than the other place.  Fantastic she crab soup:

48631E64-5627-48F5-982C-380B532613FF.thumb.jpg.fca087d5e3084845a93dde97b5f51fe9.jpg

It didn’t just taste like cream soup with crabmeat.  Every bite tasted of crab. 

Good, oniony hush puppies:

B5CF3E59-6D0F-4B64-9AEC-3DA368CE7790.jpg.cb498a42e5a2352569ac2c9060ef303a.jpg

I think these might be food service pups, but they were still good. 

Crabs and shrimp:

IMG_5851.JPG.288ca52eb55b90e2e426d7a3e903659a.JPG

Good quality and perfectly cooked.

Last night:

IMG_5895.thumb.jpg.6b21bccd9813d2210609b75e642c2180.jpg

IP beef and gravy, Duchess potatoes (purchased), and long cooked green beans.

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

@kayb – the oysters have me drooling.  One of the things I’ve always regretted missing on our NOLA trip was those Acme oysters. 

@weino – I also saw that Japanese fried chicken on ATK.  I’ve saved the recipe and, seeing yours, I know I need to dig it out of the pile!

@Duvel – I love seeing your son dig into all the different foods that you serve.  It reminds me of my now 37-year-old daughter when we used to take her to our favorite Chinese restaurant.   She was only about a year and a half old when we started going.  She loved it all!  The cooks got to know her and would send out little dishes of mystery food and crowd around the kitchen door window to watch her eat it.  One waiter said that when their kids would come eat at the restaurant they would always want hamburgers or chicken nuggets, so they loved seeing my little blonde-haired baby eating their food!  

@liamsaunt – those dinner rolls are just lovely.  I can almost taste and smell them!

@dcarch – what an absolutely gorgeous lamb chop platter that was.          

@Tropicalsenior – I agree with you – I prefer to make my hard cooked eggs in the IP.  For some reason, they turn out more consistent and easier to peel that way. 

We drove up to MD to pick crabs on Saturday for an early Mother’s Day treat for me.  Our usual place was out of blue crabs (they said they still had snow crab  Seriously?  If you are in MD and call yourself a “Crab House” and you are out of blue crabs, you need to close your doors for the day).  We ended up on Cobb Island at a place that we’d never been but turned out to have much better food than the other place.  Fantastic she crab soup:

48631E64-5627-48F5-982C-380B532613FF.thumb.jpg.fca087d5e3084845a93dde97b5f51fe9.jpg

It didn’t just taste like cream soup with crabmeat.  Every bite tasted of crab. 

Good, oniony hush puppies:

B5CF3E59-6D0F-4B64-9AEC-3DA368CE7790.jpg.cb498a42e5a2352569ac2c9060ef303a.jpg

I think these might be food service pups, but they were still good. 

Crabs and shrimp:

IMG_5851.JPG.288ca52eb55b90e2e426d7a3e903659a.JPG

Good quality and perfectly cooked.

Last night:

IMG_5895.thumb.jpg.6b21bccd9813d2210609b75e642c2180.jpg

IP beef and gravy, Duchess potatoes (purchased), and long cooked green beans.