• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jedovaty

jedovaty

I attempted @teonzo's mayo technique, and did not change other factors in the recipe.  The good news is that the cookies were not greasy to the touch at all, the bad news they did spread more than I wanted them to.  I am not sure if that happened because I forgot the xanthan gum, or something else.  The cookies did have a gloss to them.

Few interesting notes:

• after ~12 hours in the fridge and ~8 hours in the freezer, the pre-shaped cookie doughs are still soft and malleable.  I've not experienced this, any cooke dough/batter always turns rock hard in the freezer, even butter based ones.
  • with the small amount of oil, to successfully create the emulsion required I use two egg yolks and exclude all other liquid components.  I added liquids to the dry goods and rubbed my hands until the dry mixture was crumbly.  Then the last step, mixed in the mayo, followed by the chocolate chips.
  • the coconut flavor from the unrefined oil I use is masked more with this technique; I baked a few from the last batch alongside these and was surprised by this

The above results further support that I over mixed the initial batch, and are likely a reason why some of my cookies in the past have these kinds of results.  I'll try the original technique again, and this time just use a hand mixer and work until the components are integrated, rather than trying to replicate a butter creaming method.

I normally bake with parchment, but I'm out and costco hasn't had any in stock for a while.  I'm also nearly out of aluminum foil, so I've been reusing the same sheet, looks used haha.  😛

By the way: the first attempted mayo emulsion I made broke (I handled it like my traditional method, just tossed egg, liquids, oil into jar and used the BAMix).  It's nicely separated into oil and liquids, can I reuse it in a recipe now if I'm going to try the "regular" sugar/oil creaming method, or do I need to toss it and start from scratch?

chicken fetus emulsion.jpg

jedovaty

jedovaty

I attempted @teonzo's mayo technique, and did not change other factors in the recipe.  The good news is that the cookies were not greasy to the touch at all, the bad news they did spread more than I wanted them to.  I am not sure if that happened because I forgot the xanthan gum, or something else.  The cookies did have a gloss to them.

Couple interesting notes:

• after ~12 hours in the fridge and ~8 hours in the freezer, the pre-shaped cookie doughs are still soft and malleable.  I've not experienced this, any cooke dough/batter always turns rock hard in the freezer, even butter based ones.
  • with the small amount of oil, to successfully create the emulsion required I use two egg yolks and exclude all other liquid components.  I added liquids to the dry goods and rubbed my hands until the dry mixture was crumbly.  Then the last step, mixed in the mayo, followed by the chocolate chips.
  • the coconut flavor from the unrefined oil I use is masked more with this technique; I baked a few from the last batch alongside these and was surprised by this

The above results further support that I over mixed the initial batch, and are likely a reason why some of my cookies in the past have these kinds of results.  I'll try the original technique again, and this time just use a hand mixer and work until the components are integrated, rather than trying to replicate a butter creaming method.

I normally bake with parchment, but I'm out and costco hasn't had any in stock for a while.  I'm also nearly out of aluminum foil, so I've been reusing the same sheet, looks used haha.  😛

chicken fetus emulsion.jpg