• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What size eggs are the best value!?

Martin Fisher

I eat an average of 3 dozen per week.

Rarely less, sometimes more.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I check the online prices which can vary from week to week or even day to day.  I buy mostly  Large white eggs  in 18 or 36  (1 or 2 cartons)  

Today's prices are higher.  

122230519_ScreenShot2020-02-03at6_38_04AM.thumb.png.daa86a6e6c7162f105a9e24704092a1d.png

The last time I shopped for eggs,  January  15,  The price was less:   $1.91 a DOZEN. 

1914237735_Jan_15.thumb.png.4ed0c1a8c93ad2b9b47eb2f34a3246f8.png

And before that,  on November 26,  this was the price:

1913340352_Novembr26.thumb.png.f7e3e46b12ea509a77d6d7516b570d80.png

LAST SPRING, MARCH 30,  the same eggs were  $5.86  for two dozen, $2.93 a dozen.   That is because hens lay less during certain seasons, even with the artificial day length lighting.  

I occasionally buy the JUMBO eggs because every 3 months or so, Walmart has them at a  "sale" price which is hard to resist.  This was in September.

1809413542_ScreenShot2020-02-03at7_01_01AM.thumb.png.deb481febdfc75881e383226ba3b3cf6.png

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

1 hour ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I eat an average of 3 dozen per week.

Rarely less, sometimes more.

That's a lot of eggs!  More than five per day.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, lindag said:

That's a lot of eggs!

I eat 4 for 'breakfast' every day, plus what I use in recipes.

• Like 1

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

7 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I eat 4 for 'breakfast' every day, plus what I use in recipes.

LOL I eat 4 for breakfast in a year, if that.

I have nothing against the ol' bacon (/ham/sausage) & egg breakfast, just to be clear...I just don't care for it in the morning. More usually lunch or "breakfast for dinner."

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 minute ago, chromedome said:

LOL I eat 4 for breakfast in a year, if that.

I have nothing against the ol' bacon (/ham/sausage) & egg breakfast, just to be clear...I just don't care for it in the morning. More usually lunch or "breakfast for dinner."

I put breakfast in quotes because I don't eat until after noon.

1 to 2 meals per day is all.