• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

5 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@kayb – now I want chicken spaghetti.  But, like Child A, no peas and carrots.  Actually the only vegetables allowed will be mild Rotel tomatoes, mirepoix, and garlic.  And maybe some Durkees on top! 😁

@Margaret Pilgrim – that pizza looks and sounds delicious.  I love white pizza.

@BKEats – I mostly agree with you about sweet potato fries.  I find, oddly enough, that they are one of those few foods that are better processed than fresh.  I never ate them until a friend served them and I ate them to be polite.  I was shocked that I actually quite liked them.  It turned out that they were Alexia brand frozen ones.  Not saying you’ll feel the same, but it’s a funny thing.

@robirdstx – those egg rolls look perfect.  You and @Shelby and your gorgeous egg rolls.  The last time I tried to make them it was a disaster.  I rolled them too loose and they were terrible.  It was years ago and I’d probably do a better job now.  The two of you have inspired me. 

@Shelby – I love all kinds of food, but that plate of ribs, mac n’ cheese, and collards is, to me, the most perfect plate of food ever!

Dinner last night – broiled ham slice:

IMG_1939.jpg.41f8a627e70af7502dccf7948799cdbe.jpg

Served with a brioche bun, sweet potato souffle, slaw, green beans, and applesauce:

IMG_1940.jpg.f9c6d1f466d7ed6b5cddf797f928a391.jpg

Quick question - I have a couple of these ham steaks from Father's Hams, in Kentucky. Never cooked them before (these times are bringing a lot of firsts!).  The other stuff I've used from Farmer's (bacon, smoked hocks) is majorly salty/smoky. Like majorly.

Do you have to do anything first before you broil them? Like blanch? Or do you just broil them as is? They look so fucking juicy.

weinoo

weinoo

5 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@kayb – now I want chicken spaghetti.  But, like Child A, no peas and carrots.  Actually the only vegetables allowed will be mild Rotel tomatoes, mirepoix, and garlic.  And maybe some Durkees on top! 😁

@Margaret Pilgrim – that pizza looks and sounds delicious.  I love white pizza.

@BKEats – I mostly agree with you about sweet potato fries.  I find, oddly enough, that they are one of those few foods that are better processed than fresh.  I never ate them until a friend served them and I ate them to be polite.  I was shocked that I actually quite liked them.  It turned out that they were Alexia brand frozen ones.  Not saying you’ll feel the same, but it’s a funny thing.

@robirdstx – those egg rolls look perfect.  You and @Shelby and your gorgeous egg rolls.  The last time I tried to make them it was a disaster.  I rolled them too loose and they were terrible.  It was years ago and I’d probably do a better job now.  The two of you have inspired me. 

@Shelby – I love all kinds of food, but that plate of ribs, mac n’ cheese, and collards is, to me, the most perfect plate of food ever!

Dinner last night – broiled ham slice:

IMG_1939.jpg.41f8a627e70af7502dccf7948799cdbe.jpg

Served with a brioche bun, sweet potato souffle, slaw, green beans, and applesauce:

IMG_1940.jpg.f9c6d1f466d7ed6b5cddf797f928a391.jpg

Quick question - I have a couple of these ham steaks from Father's Hams, in Kentucky. Never cooked them before (these times are bringing a lot of firsts!).  The other stuff I've used from Farmer's (bacon, smoked hocks) is majorly salty/smoky. Like majorly.

Do you have to do anything first before you broil them? Like blanch? Or do you just broil them as is?