• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Luosifen from Start

liuzhou

I wasn't sure where to put this, but it is a beautiful video of a young woman from Sichuan making, among other things, my local signature noodle dish, Liuzhou Luosifen (柳州螺蛳粉). She grows or forages what she needs. Beautifully shot.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I wasn't sure where to put this, but it is a beautiful video of a young woman from Sichuan making, among other things, my local signature noodle dish, Liuzhou Luosifen (柳州螺蛳粉). She grows or forages what she needs. Beautifully shot.

Beautiful cooking.  However the cats were shown but never used?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Beautiful cooking.  However the cats were shown but never used?

Don't tempt me. I have photos of cats on butchers' stalls and of cat meat restaurants, but have not and probably never will post them!

That said such sights are very rare!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Don't tempt me. I have photos of cats on butchers' stalls and of cat meat restaurants, but have not and probably never will post them!

That said such sights are very rare!

Except apparently in NYC.

Edit:  some years ago a young woman friend shared that her grandmother was a farmer, though in her old age she raised mostly cats.  "For milk or meat?" I asked.  My friend took offense.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 12/20/2019 at 4:01 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Except apparently in NYC.

99% of stories about cat or dog being served in Chinese restaurants are racist urban myths. A very few people in China eat them, especially cat.

But I posted what I thought was a beautiful celebration of great food and cooking and have no idea why we are even discussing this irrelevance instead of the video.  Well, actually, I do.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

I agree, she is amazing.  She has posted lots and lots of videos and on many subjects besides food.   If you read the comments you will see that she has fans all over the world.  I have recently noticed several "wanna-bes" showing up but she is the real deal. At the opposite end of the spectrum, I enjoy watching the elderly Mexican lady cooking at her ranch.  Not elegant, but as real as they get!  Thanks for sharing the video.

38 minutes ago, SusieQ said:

Wow. I now appreciate bamboo shoots WAY MORE than before watching this beautiful and amazing video. I was so curious about her and her situation that I went looking for more information and found this: https://raknife.com/li-zi-qi/.  Warning: That webpage seems to go on and on. But it makes for fascinating reading. 

Her YouTube channel is wonderful. It is is one of only two I have subscribed to and the other is not at all food related. I also follow her on Chinese social media.

Yes your link is long, but informative. It is compiled and translated from a number of Chinese sources about her.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

I happened upon this video about the dish, it's nice seeing the dish described by those not familiar with it.

My understanding is this video is taking place in Australia. She also tries the instant noodle version I remember @liuzhou mentioning somewhere.

I also just noticed that in the video posted by liuzhou, she adds what I think is purslane to the soup. I like it that this herb is used across so many cultures, because for me it is strongly associated with Palestinian food.   

~ Shai N.

"It smells like pickled vegetables!"

Perhaps because of the pickled vegetable, as you've already been told!

There are several other points in the video I could argue with.

The instant variety is no comparison to the real thing.

Amusing to see her parents eating it with forks! That's a first.

13 minutes ago, shain said:

I also just noticed that in the video posted by liuzhou, she adds what I think is purslane to the soup.

It is a type of aramanth, but I've never encountered purslane in China.

• Like 2