• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saving grace or sending good money after bad

Margaret Pilgrim

One gross banana.   Husband said, "Compost!"     I gambled on a half recipe for banana bread ->  8 banana muffins = breakfast for a couple of days.

1537152114_photo2.thumb.JPG.1059bf7d34d477b8971286873556893e.JPG

Not sure this lesson is transferable, but the flavor and texture of these was far superior to most of my (leaden) classic banana breads.    

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.

I feel an affinity.    My in-laws in retirement provided a "second harvest" service in their area, collecting healthful foods near their "best before" date from supermarkets and transporting them to needy kitchens, both public and private.    Occasionally they came across product that was particularly fragile.   So, on one super hot weekend while we were in the country, they arrived with a huge box of "very" ripe bananas, suggesting that we "share them in the village".   So I collected a couple of local kids and our son and we set out with our red Radio Flyer wagon full of bananas and tried to "share" them.    I only recall limited success and a wonderful exchange with an octogenarian lady who opened her door warily, listened to my offer and asked, "What on earth would I do with them?"    "Make banana bread?"    "Build a fire in the stove in THIS HEAT?"   

• Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

@blue_dolphin Thanks for the reminder to be a  bit more observant/critical in my reading. I was just reading the Banana story to my husband, and when I got to the end, immediately after the “See More” with links to related items, I found this: “Interested In Writing Satire Like This? Check Out A Beaverton Workshop”.

• Haha 1